PDA

View Full Version : E-3 White balance issue

peak4
23rd December 2007, 05:53 PM
Hello All, In response to a back focus issue on fourthirdsphoto.com I was trying to duplicate a problem on some test charts this morning. I don't seem to have a focussing issue on static charts, but a WB query popped up.

The pristine white A4 paper with the charts on came out a shade of blue/grey with auto WB. The weather was sunny, but very slightly overcast. When I tried one-touch WB on a sheet of plain paper from the same batch, the remaining photos came out bright blue.

After much head scratching and checking menus, everything seemed to be correct, I ventured out again to have another try at playing with one touch WB. I did make sure there was no WB compensation dialled in.
The E-3 refused to play at all, only ever showing WB NG RETRY. It was later on in the day now, so the colour temperature and light levels would have been different. Photos of white paper were still a bright shade of blue though. Oddly, under tungsten lighting indoors, everything including one touch WB performed fine.

I eventually settled on a factory re-set which seems to have cured the problem.
Here's a few small pictures, purely to illustrate the WB query.

Auto WB before re-set

One-touch WB before re-set

Auto WB after re-set

One-touch WB after re-set

Has anyone else found this?

(I've posted the same query there too http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=129740&page=2

Ian
23rd December 2007, 06:32 PM
Hello All, In response to a back focus issue on fourthirdsphoto.com I was trying to duplicate a problem on some test charts this morning. I don't seem to have a focussing issue on static charts, but a WB query popped up.

The pristine white A4 paper with the charts on came out a shade of blue/grey with auto WB. The weather was sunny, but very slightly overcast. When I tried one-touch WB on a sheet of plain paper from the same batch, the remaining photos came out bright blue.

After much head scratching and checking menus, everything seemed to be correct, I ventured out again to have another try at playing with one touch WB. I did make sure there was no WB compensation dialled in.
The E-3 refused to play at all, only ever showing WB NG RETRY. It was later on in the day now, so the colour temperature and light levels would have been different. Photos of white paper were still a bright shade of blue though. Oddly, under tungsten lighting indoors, everything including one touch WB performed fine.

I eventually settled on a factory re-set which seems to have cured the problem.
Here's a few small pictures, purely to illustrate the WB query.

Auto WB before re-set

One-touch WB before re-set

Auto WB after re-set

One-touch WB after re-set

Has anyone else found this?

(I've posted the same query there too http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=129740&page=2

I have found custom WB set with a blank sheet of white paper to be very reliable.

Ian

Dick Bowman
24th December 2007, 08:39 AM
A couple of weeks ago I shot a couple of hundred frames in rather gloomy conditions (RAW - didn't fuss much with any settings). Running through them afterwards I noticed that the first 120 or so were good, after that everything had a noticeable blue-grey tinge.

Couldn't see any significant changes in the EXIF data (ISO, lens, aperture, etc.). Can be fixed by changing white balance in post-processing.

Usage since then has been in better light and seems fine.

I think the camera's on its way back to Olympus so that they can address my lockup problem - will add a note about this as well.

peak4
24th December 2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the replies folks, I would call it a slight blue/grey tinge on Auto WB after the re-set. I can accept that, it is after all why one can vary the white balance. The first two photos above were both of white paper, the second one after a supposed one shot white balance, set from a sheet of white paper.
I'll see if I can replicate the problem later on when it dries up a bit. I know the camera's drip proof, but the focus chart was printed on an inkjet.