PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Firing!

Jim Ford
21st April 2016, 04:41 PM
I've just got back from the Isle of Purbeck.

Many of the roads run alongside army ranges, with warning signs Sudden Firing!.

What's that all about then? Firing of it's very nature is sudden. Has anyone heard of 'Gradual Firing'?

Jim

Naughty Nigel
21st April 2016, 05:07 PM
I've just got back from the Isle of Purbeck.

Many of the roads run alongside army ranges, with warning signs Sudden Firing!.

What's that all about then? Firing of it's very nature is sudden. Has anyone heard of 'Gradual Firing'?

Jim

I think it means you won't have time to get your head down if you see an approaching 4" shell or bullet! :D

birdboy
21st April 2016, 05:21 PM
It means if you get hit by a shell you or your relatives cannot sue because you were warned :D

Naughty Nigel
21st April 2016, 07:50 PM
It means if you get hit by a shell you or your relatives cannot sue because you were warned :D

If you were hit by a shell I somehow doubt there would be much of you left to sit down with a 'no win, no fee' solicitor. :rolleyes:

Andrew Riddell
21st April 2016, 08:32 PM
I suspect it's like the signs on the 'back road' from Amesbury to Warminster which goes across the Salisbury Plain exercise areas/ranges where you see primitive signs saying 'Tank Crossing' (not that I've ever seen a tank there - maybe our only one was somewhere else!) or the warnings on the road to Imber that you'll be prosecuted if found off the road.

Andrew

Naughty Nigel
21st April 2016, 08:39 PM
I remember there were some ancient 'Temporary Road Surface' signs at Ascot where the road crossed the racecourse, or vice versa.

They were there for at least thirty years before we moved north, and could still be there for all I know.

Question is, how long is 'Temporary'? :confused:

Andrew Riddell
21st April 2016, 08:48 PM
Question is, how long is 'Temporary'? :confused:

Now you're getting theological! It's the difference between the Zoroastrian concepts of 'time of the long dominion' and 'infinite time'. Planners and contractors are normally confused on this!

Andrew

Naughty Nigel
21st April 2016, 09:07 PM
Now you're getting theological! It's the difference between the Zoroastrian concepts of 'time of the long dominion' and 'infinite time'. Planners and contractors are normally confused on this!

Andrew

So am I! :D

Bikie John
21st April 2016, 09:08 PM
I suspect it's like the signs on the 'back road' from Amesbury to Warminster which goes across the Salisbury Plain exercise areas/ranges where you see primitive signs saying 'Tank Crossing' (not that I've ever seen a tank there - maybe our only one was somewhere else!) or the warnings on the road to Imber that you'll be prosecuted if found off the road.

Andrew

Those are fine roads up on the Plain, cycled along them many times, and often heard heavy-sounding artillery fire up there. And seen the occasional tank. The best bit normally open to the public goes from Rollestone crossroads through Bustard to Tilshead. A section in the middle is often closed for live firing and there are lots of splendidly ambiguous notices saying something like

"If you see any object do not touch it or attempt to move it, it may explode".

Even my normally rebellious nature gives best to that advice.

John

Imageryone
21st April 2016, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=Andrew Riddell;384009]Now you're getting theological! It's the difference between the Zoroastrian concepts of 'time of the long dominion' and 'infinite time'. Planners and contractors are normally confused on this!

Andrew[/QUOTE

Or the ancient " Time has no meaning to the dead or Government !!!

:)

Zuiko
22nd April 2016, 02:23 AM
Reminds me of my peak-bagging days back in the 1980's. There were a couple of hills in the Northern Pennines that I wanted to climb but were unfortunately within the Warcop firing range and at that time there were no designated public access days. I managed to obtain the phone number for the base commander and I contacted him to seek permission to climb those hills on a non firing day.

My heart sank when he said that he couldn't grant me permission to enter the range as the Army would then be liable if I had an accident with an unexploded shell, but my spirits quickly lifted again when he added that he could nevertheless confirm that they would not be firing over the coming weekend and it was up to me how I used that information!