PDA

View Full Version : How many more?

Zuiko
20th April 2016, 09:07 PM
2016 is a bad year ... and it is only April.

Victoria Wood

Doris Roberts

Denise Robertson

Ronnie Corbett

David Bowie

Paul Daniels

Glenn Frey

Terry Wogan

Alan Rickman

Frank Kelly

Plus a personal friend, Julie Brewer.

RIP all.

Olybirder
20th April 2016, 10:08 PM
I was completely shocked when I heard about Victoria Wood's passing this evening. She was immensely talented and I found her very funny. Unlike so many these days, her humour was not at the expense of other people. She seemed to be a genuinely 'nice' person. Such a shame that her death came at such a young age.

Ron

Ricoh
20th April 2016, 11:03 PM
At the end of Question Time this evening a selection of photographs from the Sony Photography Awards were shown. I quite liked the one entitled 'Planned Obsolescence', we're all heading to the recycle bin, but live on we will - our molecules will be reused once more.

pdk42
21st April 2016, 07:27 AM
Death and taxes.

RIP all those on the list and the countless others who don't make the headlines but leave a lasting impression nonetheless on those around them.

Crazy Dave
21st April 2016, 09:25 AM
There's one more. We had to call it time on Monday for our little King Charles Cavelier Spaniel - Clara. The house seems very empty and the absence of shared routines is very unsettling. Ouch!

David

Ricoh
21st April 2016, 09:34 AM
Arthur C Clarke's statement in his classic 'A Space Odyssey' is still relevant today:
"Behind every man alive stand 30 ghosts, for that is the ratio by which the dead outnumber the living."

Edit: Current estimate is approx 29, based on current population.

Zuiko
21st April 2016, 09:38 AM
There's one more. We had to call it time on Monday for our little King Charles Cavelier Spaniel - Clara. The house seems very empty and the absence of shared routines is very unsettling. Ouch!

David

Yes, the loss of a much loved pet is also very sad. Sorry to hear this news, Dave.

Wee man
21st April 2016, 05:48 PM
Sorry to hear of Clara's passing. Add another PRINCE died today, not a good year so far!

Wee Man

Imageryone
21st April 2016, 06:55 PM

David

So sorry to hear this, David. We lost our " Charlie " a few weeks ago, these pets are sorely missed.

On a brighter note, " Trim", our new Border Collie pup comes home tomorrow, she is not a replacement for Charlie ( we have been waiting for a year for her) but a new member of the family

Crazy Dave
21st April 2016, 07:14 PM
Sorry to hear of Clara's passing. Add another PRINCE died today, not a good year so far!

Wee Man

Sorry to hear that. Clara was my first dog and had many health issues which meant that we kept her close. I have never seen so many smiles when people encountered her and of course, she made us laugh every day. If there's a doggy place in the sky, perhaps Clara & Prince will exchange a woof.

Regards

David

andym
21st April 2016, 07:18 PM
Ahhhh, Prince was a year younger than me.:eek::eek::eek:

Still Keith Richards and Robert Wyatt seem to go on forever. *yes*yes*yes

Walti
21st April 2016, 09:16 PM
Ahhhh, Prince was a year younger than me.:eek::eek::eek:

Still Keith Richards and Robert Wyatt seem to go on forever. *yes*yes*yes

8 days older than me :eek:

RogerMac
21st April 2016, 09:35 PM
And I have a funeral to go tomorrow and another next Tuesday. It just seems to go on and on.

Imageryone
21st April 2016, 10:19 PM
We forgot Terry Wogan.

Zuiko
22nd April 2016, 01:47 AM
We forgot Terry Wogan.

We could never forget Terry, he is in my original list.

Imageryone
22nd April 2016, 07:23 AM
We could never forget Terry, he is in my original list.

Sorry, John, glasses must have been steamed up :)

Naughty Nigel
22nd April 2016, 09:54 AM
And I have a funeral to go tomorrow and another next Tuesday. It just seems to go on and on.

It often strikes me that the funeral business is one of the best places to work nowadays.

maccabeej
22nd April 2016, 11:22 AM
Just the beginning for we baby boomers. Not only is there a lot of people in our cohort but we have lived through the expansion of the media and the celeb culture. We have more potential heroes and they have had a greater influence on us. RIP all the above and our youth.

benvendetta
22nd April 2016, 11:44 AM
Indeed a very bad year. Prince was a big surprise. Only 57, jeez.

Kiwi Paul
22nd April 2016, 12:03 PM
It often strikes me that the funeral business is one of the best places to work nowadays.

It's a dead end job, but people are dying to give you business :o

Paul

Naughty Nigel
22nd April 2016, 12:09 PM
Just the beginning for we baby boomers. Not only is there a lot of people in our cohort but we have lived through the expansion of the media and the celeb culture. We have more potential heroes and they have had a greater influence on us. RIP all the above and our youth.

This is all very true. The 1960's and 1970's saw a flood of new people becoming entertainers, and many of them will be reaching their seven score years and ten within the next decade.

Even without drink and drugs many of these entertainers will have led much more stressful lives than the general population, so it should not be too much of a surprise that they live shorter lives as a result.

The fact that many of us feel that we 'grew up' with them makes their loss all the more poignant.

Naughty Nigel
22nd April 2016, 12:10 PM
It's a dead end job, but people are dying to give you business :o

Paul

And you don't have many customers demanding a refund. :)

Otto
22nd April 2016, 12:54 PM
On a lighter note ... (http://newsthump.com/2016/04/22/grim-reaper-given-final-written-warning/)

:)

Naughty Nigel
22nd April 2016, 01:12 PM
On a lighter note ... (http://newsthump.com/2016/04/22/grim-reaper-given-final-written-warning/)

:)

Very good, but don't make the mistake of clicking on any of the links on the page as there are some nasties there!

Otto
22nd April 2016, 02:11 PM
I'd probably avoid the sponsored links, yes, although I haven't had any ill-effects so far .. :)

Jim Ford
22nd April 2016, 02:16 PM
Very good, but don't make the mistake of clicking on any of the links on the page as there are some nasties there!

Huh? I didn't see any!

Jim