PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Charger needed

Crazy Dave
19th April 2016, 08:28 PM
The charger for my wife's EM-10 Mark 1 has gone walk about. Would welcome suggestions for sourcing replacement.

Thanks

David

PeterBirder
19th April 2016, 10:01 PM
ExPro do one .
http://www.exprodirect.com/ex-pro-olympus-bls-5-bls5-ps-bls5-bcs-5-ps-bcs5-digital-camera-charger-uk-usa-canada-europe-2-hour-fast-charger.html

8.97 is better than the 50 or so for the original. Can be used with the supplied cable for charging in the car too.

Regards.*chr

Crazy Dave
20th April 2016, 06:37 AM
Thanks Peter, it's on order. Much appreciated.

Regards

David

Ross the fiddler
20th April 2016, 08:56 AM
It doesn't appear to have the thermal protection pins on the original Olympus charger. I have a feeling it won't charge the batteries as high a voltage as the Olympus either (the cheating way of staying safe) which means it might not have as long a battery life (number of frames) as they used to.

For myself, I prefer to stick with Olympus battery & charger.

Howi
20th April 2016, 10:17 AM
It doesn't appear to have the thermal protection pins on the original Olympus charger. I have a feeling it won't charge the batteries as high a voltage as the Olympus either (the cheating way of staying safe) which means it might not have as long a battery life (number of frames) as they used to.

For myself, I prefer to stick with Olympus battery & charger.

Charging at a lower current will not change how many shots can be taken, only how long it takes to charge.
As for after market batteries if you want to pay 50 for an Olympus battery as opposed to <9 for the ex-pro one (has a two year warranty) that is up to you, having used generic batteries for years without problems I would sooner have the money in my pocket thank you.
Too many unsupported scare stories put about by unknowledgeable people just spreading gossip. Ex pro looks to be a reputable company, the batteries probably come from the same factory anyway.

Howi
20th April 2016, 10:30 AM
Just looked at the ex pro charger via link and is rated as a fast charger 1-2 hours as opposed to twice that for the Olympus one and it DOES have thermal protection.
Spec quotes soft start then fast charge, then trickle top up.
Olympus have in the past supplied slow chargers for amateur gear and fast chargers fro pro gear, using the same battery, If the fast charger was detrimental I doubt weather the pro user would put up with it.
You pays your money and make your choice, paying Olympus 40 for nothing does not make sense to me, of course your opininion may differ

Crazy Dave
20th April 2016, 10:44 AM
Thanks for this, I'm hoping that the original will turn up in the house but we needed something for this coming weekend. I received notice of despatch from Expro just an hour after I placed the order. So far, so good.

David

Ross the fiddler
20th April 2016, 11:53 AM
Charging at a lower current will not change how many shots can be taken, only how long it takes to charge.
As for after market batteries if you want to pay 50 for an Olympus battery as opposed to <9 for the ex-pro one (has a two year warranty) that is up to you, having used generic batteries for years without problems I would sooner have the money in my pocket thank you.
Too many unsupported scare stories put about by unknowledgeable people just spreading gossip. Ex pro looks to be a reputable company, the batteries probably come from the same factory anyway.
Just looked at the ex pro charger via link and is rated as a fast charger 1-2 hours as opposed to twice that for the Olympus one and it DOES have thermal protection.
Spec quotes soft start then fast charge, then trickle top up.
Olympus have in the past supplied slow chargers for amateur gear and fast chargers fro pro gear, using the same battery, If the fast charger was detrimental I doubt weather the pro user would put up with it.
You pays your money and make your choice, paying Olympus 40 for nothing does not make sense to me, of course your opininion may differ

I wasn't talking about the current but the voltage which is 8.35v (& at 0.4Amps) on the Olympus BCS-5. The maximum for the BLS-5 battery is 8.4V at 760mA although it is rated as a 7.2V 1150Mah (min 1080mAh) battery. The specs looks like it might be good for charging 2 (active) terminals after market batteries (that don't use the internal temperature connections system) with the soft start, constant current etc. Maybe it will charge the Olympus battery & the issue was with after market batteries not being able to charged in the Olympus charger.

byegad
20th April 2016, 04:50 PM
No knowledge of 3rd party chargers but with Ex-Pro and other 3rd party batteries I've noticed no difference in number of shots on any of my cameras.

PeterBirder
20th April 2016, 10:28 PM
I wasn't talking about the current but the voltage which is 8.35v (& at 0.4Amps) on the Olympus BCS-5. The maximum for the BLS-5 battery is 8.4V at 760mA although it is rated as a 7.2V 1150Mah (min 1080mAh) battery. The specs looks like it might be good for charging 2 (active) terminals after market batteries (that don't use the internal temperature connections system) with the soft start, constant current etc. Maybe it will charge the Olympus battery & the issue was with after market batteries not being able to charged in the Olympus charger.

Some mixed thinking here Ross.

The 8.4v at 760ma is the maximum that is safe for a charger to apply to the battery, so a charger which can provide 8.3v at 400ma is fine. The 7.2v is the terminal voltage produced by the battery and is a function of the battery chemistry. In order to charge a battery a charger will have to apply a higher voltage than the battery produces otherwise the battery will try to charge the charger.:eek: 1150 maH is the capacity and means it can produce (in theory) current between 1ma for 1150 hours and 1150ma for 1 hour.

The previous "issue" was indeed the inability of early after market batteries to be charged by the Olympus charger which will only work if it can communicate with an appropriate "chip" in the battery. Later batteries from ExPro (and others) now have an appropriate "chip" and will charge from the Olympus charger.

I have an ExPro charger for my BLN-1 batteries which was supplied with the early batteries for this reason. The charger is a "universal" one and the only difference between mine and the one I quoted for David is the "battery plate" which has to match the physical profile of the battery.

Regards.*chr

Ross the fiddler
21st April 2016, 03:30 AM
Some mixed thinking here Ross.

The 8.4v at 760ma is the maximum that is safe for a charger to apply to the battery, so a charger which can provide 8.3v at 400ma is fine. The 7.2v is the terminal voltage produced by the battery and is a function of the battery chemistry. In order to charge a battery a charger will have to apply a higher voltage than the battery produces otherwise the battery will try to charge the charger.:eek: 1150 maH is the capacity and means it can produce (in theory) current between 1ma for 1150 hours and 1150ma for 1 hour.

The previous "issue" was indeed the inability of early after market batteries to be charged by the Olympus charger which will only work if it can communicate with an appropriate "chip" in the battery. Later batteries from ExPro (and others) now have an appropriate "chip" and will charge from the Olympus charger.

I have an ExPro charger for my BLN-1 batteries which was supplied with the early batteries for this reason. The charger is a "universal" one and the only difference between mine and the one I quoted for David is the "battery plate" which has to match the physical profile of the battery.

Regards.*chr

Thanks Peter. Yes I understand the first bit but just didn't write it too well (after rethinking & editing). It's good to know these chargers can work well then.

*chr