PDA

View Full Version : Flying off to *Bedfordshire* again

snaarman
12th April 2016, 03:06 PM
Off to Bedfordshire soon. I mean Cyprus: Where you can still find old Bedford lorries fading in the sun :)

Time to think which gear to take.

Our last trip was to the West Bank in minimalist mode. I took my trusty E-M5 and just two lenses: The 9-18 and the 40-150. (That was partly because I needed to fit a tiny water bottle in the camera bag..) I liked the gear combo, it worked well.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/614/Petra_1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87077)

I will ring the changes slightly this time. I will take the Panasonic GX-7 because it is slightly smaller than the E-M5, the 9-18 and the 40-150 again to get a huge range in two small lenses, but I will also take the 12mm f2 as well because I miss not having a wide lens.

Hmm:

I could ditch the zooms, be a prime purist and take the 12mm, the 45mm and the 75mm lenses. They are all just wonderful, but it would mean a lot of lens swapping and it would probably weigh more.

No: It will be two small zooms and a single wide. I do like the 12mm on the GX-7. It has a feint whiff of Leica about it.

What do you folks take on hols?
Everything + kitchen sink?
A pile of primes?
Just One Lens (eek..)?

Pete

George Dorn
12th April 2016, 04:10 PM
If you had a selfie stick with you, then you could have been in that photo.

Having started digital with a system that is more prone to dust then I would have to say that I am far too timid to change lenses all the time somewhere like Cyprus. Ever tried to clean out bits of your mate's gyro from the mirror box? :eek:

Glenn S
12th April 2016, 06:42 PM
Off there myself in 3 weeks.. The Cypriots have discovered that there is life in the old Bedfordshire as wedding transport. I traversed the island in these antiques in the 1970s

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/wub_01/bus_zpsk74gatfy.jpg

pdk42
12th April 2016, 08:03 PM
On my travels I usually take a Billingham Hadley Small with:

- Panasonic zoom trifecta - 7-14, 12-35, 35-100
- E-M1 with 12 or 17 or 25 prime fitted (according to mood)
- Raynox 250 close up lens (small and turns the 35-100 into a half decent macro lens)
- Small FL600 Flash
- Radio remote control
- Batteries
- 10-stop ND filter and fancy holder for the 7-14

It's small, reasonably light and gives me high quality coverage from 7mm to 100mm. What's not to like?

Ricoh
12th April 2016, 09:33 PM
Choice of camera is unimportant, but what is absolutely necessary is a 35mm lens in terms of FF f/l, or equvalent.
Less is more, much more!

Phill D
13th April 2016, 05:38 AM
For me it's the EM1 plus the Lumix 14-140 lens for most things. Then I'll add the 9-14 and the 17 f1.8 for occasional wide landscapes and museums. All very lightweight.

MargaretR
13th April 2016, 07:49 AM
I tend to be at either extreme, depending on the type of holiday.

If it's specifically a photography trip, I take the kitchen sink. What else have I bought it all for? ... :D

If it's a hol where it's "seeing other things" and I'm the only photographer (trailing along at the back, snatching shots while the group disappears over the horizon), then it's usually just the EM-1 + 14-150mm. And possibly the EM-10 infrared, with 14-42 pancake. Two cameras, two lenses ... for me, that's minimalist!

snaarman
13th April 2016, 08:29 AM
Oh dear, you all take it quite seriously. Perhaps I should raise my game and pack a tripod.

The all in one zoom is tempting, but they tend to be so slow by comparison with a nifty prime.

One thing I need to learn is the Intervalometer in the GX-7, but for that I suspect I need to read the manual. I would like to do a short movie of starts rising over the sea where we stay. It faces North and is fairly dark.

Anyone done this trick, I wonder. Is it easy?

Pete

OM USer
13th April 2016, 01:31 PM
Two small zooms and a wide?? Well your zooms cover the wide department well enough or do you mean two small zooms and a fast prime for when the light fails?

If you are taking the GX7 because its slightly smaller than the E-M5 then you want small zooms as well. To me that means the 14-42PZ as the camera/lens combo is just about pocketable (hence ideal as a tourist setup) and would fit well with the 12mm prime. Personally I would go for the 12-50mm (nice and light and the extra focal length means less need to change to your telephoto even though you miss out on the 9mm short end) mounted permanently on the camera in an ever-ready style case slung over one shoulder for ease of access and pair that with the 17mm F1.8 . The 40-150 non-pro is the ideal long telephoto for a travelling package and wil fit into almost any bag.