PDA

View Full Version : Does this spell DOOM for the DSLR?

pandora
9th April 2016, 11:35 PM
Anyone wishing to get out of their OMD M1, M5 before obsolescence sets in,
I am able to offer top scrap metal rates, but only for the next thirty days :D

HDFX360
http://www.assistivetech.com/hdfx360-smartphone-camera-lenses-review/

Zuiko
10th April 2016, 12:02 AM
Seems a great idea but it looks very Heath Robinson and rather fiddly. Also, a smart phone would be a considerable investment for me and I would have difficulty using it anyway. The advertorial seems quite convincing but I suspect they have glossed over many issues and no doubt the technology will need quite a bit of further development before it is truly a viable alternative to a "proper" camera for most enthusiast photographers. :)

Beagletorque
10th April 2016, 07:02 AM
I think you have collected enough Japanese scrap metal this week, don't over stretch yourself!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wornish
10th April 2016, 07:12 AM
In a word NO. The death of DSLR has been forecast for years and years but they seem to be hanging in there.

It might appeal to people who live their whole life staring at their smartphone and be OK for Instagram or Facebook shots. But, for serious photographic use no.

It doesn't solve the sensor size issues that smartphones have and I guarantee the lens will fall off when you least expect it.

If it is so brilliant then why are they offering it at 75% off ?
I will stick with my DSLR.

pdk42
10th April 2016, 07:35 AM
It's just three cheapo clip on lenses! No big deal. Except maybe it allows you to take "real photos" (Official web site (https://www.hdfx360.com/v1/hs/uk/index.html?Affid=806&s1=AT&s2=&s3=&s4=&s5=30776340&tmr=0) - but turn the volume down). That might be worth having ;)

yorky
10th April 2016, 09:16 AM
As long as my OM 1 keeps working I will be sticking to it.Its sreets ahead of anything I have ever used including Leica M1 et al. They new models by other makes all sound very good but I doubt if they will be any better. When I think of the weight and complexity of some of the old film cameras I have owned over the last 60 years!

Phill D
10th April 2016, 09:41 AM
What no pictures on the official website. Is this a con?
Well just found a video on You Tube so maybe not a con but I agree with John it looks pretty fiddly and actually not very impressive. DSLRs are definitely safe for a while yet.

pandora
10th April 2016, 10:43 AM
I argee with John that camera phones need further development before they become a viable alternative to the DSLR, and that I believe is only a matter of time.

To some degree it is already happening.

Jim Ford
10th April 2016, 07:55 PM
I've got a set of supplementary lenses that fit on a Nikon Coolpix 995. Although they are genuine items made for the camera, and were expensive, I was never impressed with the results. I can't imagine that these ones would be much different.

Jim

pandora
11th April 2016, 07:45 PM
That doesn't surprise me, Jim. My daughter Tina enthusiastically brought the item to my attention - I was sceptical.

Loup Garou
15th April 2016, 11:11 AM
I hate cheapo clip-ons of any kind and this seems typical.

PeterBirder
19th May 2016, 09:58 PM
I knew I had seen this somewhere before.

I had an email today from 7dayshop offering the identical product for 3.99 including delivery.:D
https://www.7dayshop.com/products/7dayshop-universal-3-in-1-mobile-phone-lens-kit-with-macro-wide-fish-eye-lenses-for-apple-and-samsung-etc-WH2-DS-155?utm_source=maillist&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20160518

Much better than 56 after 75% off (you could get a "real" Olympus battery for that;)) but the downside is you can't get the "Lifetime protection and replacement warranty for only an additional 26.80". :D

*shrug*shrug*shrug*shrug

DerekW
20th May 2016, 10:09 AM
I think that it may impact the sales of the entry level cameras that do not have telephones etc built in to them. The camera's only advantage over a smart phone being the cost.

yorky
20th May 2016, 10:48 AM
Watch this space, I am just investing in a new sony phone which actually boasts a camera with 23Mpi.

pandora
21st May 2016, 08:21 AM
Watch this space, I am just investing in a new sony phone which actually boasts a camera with 23Mpi.
It may have 23mpi sensor but lets know what happens to its IQ at full zoom.

My GalaxyS6 has a 16mpi camera and it's widest angle is great.
But once you zoom in its IQ collapses.

pandora
21st May 2016, 08:23 AM
I think that it may impact the sales of the entry level cameras that do not have telephones etc built in to them. The camera's only advantage over a smart phone being the cost.
I paid a grand for the GalxyS6. For that money I could have bought two XZ-2s!