PDA

View Full Version : PayPal E-Mail Phishing

Harold Gough
8th April 2016, 09:34 AM
I have never received one of these before so I though it worth posting a warning.

It was addressed to my e-mail address, not to my name.

The subject was "verification required".

The sender's address was services@paypal.co.uk, actually uk@services020293-paypal.com

The message then says that there has been unusual activity in my account and a limitation had been placed on it. To remove the limitation I had to update my details via the link provided.

I contacted PayPal through the usual route and they verified that my account was OK. PayPal does not send links in e-mails.

I have blocked the sender.

While this was not blocked by AVG, attempts at forwarding to my Gmail account were unsuccessful. So Google spotted a problem.

Harold

Wee man
8th April 2016, 10:58 AM
Thanks I also got one of these same result, they must be doing the rounds.

Otto
8th April 2016, 12:01 PM
I get them quite frequently, along with offers of legacies running to millions of pounds and verification requests from banks I've never had accounts with. Just ignore them.

There is a nasty one going around now though which tells you you owe money to a company and enclosing an "invoice". It's addressed to you personally and includes your actual postal address. Do not click on the link - it's ransomware and your hard drive will be encrypted!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35996408

Harold Gough
8th April 2016, 12:27 PM
The police fraud team would like them forwarded to:

Nfibphishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk

Harold

Wee man
8th April 2016, 12:38 PM
Sorry deleted.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

pandora
8th April 2016, 07:57 PM
I still getting "verification required" pop-ups for critical apps on my cellphone that while all appear normal I dismiss out of hand.