PDA

View Full Version : confirming manual focus

MarkVarley
30th December 2008, 12:50 AM
I'm using alot of manual lenses on my E300, I've fitted a split focussing screen to aid focus accuracy but does anyone know how to use the autofucus system to confirm focus?

crimbo
30th December 2008, 07:05 AM
AFAIK the only system is the MkI eyeball
I tried a split screen on the E400 and it didnt help
Also the adapters are not precision made so what appears to be in focus in the view finder may be a little off at the sensor!

MarkVarley
30th December 2008, 12:28 PM
Cheers chris,
I fitted the split screen as due to a mains flashgun going off right in my eyes a couple of years ago my eyes are less than great, the split screen helps alot and is accurate (an absolute b!ich to fit though), I was hoping the cameras autofucus could be used to confirm as it does with an oly digi zeuko lens in manual mode.
ah well.

HughofBardfield
30th December 2008, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately Oly have chosen not to show any interest in enabling this feature for legacy lenses, although work posted on a number of sites (I think by Olyflyer on DPReview, for eg) shows it could probably be done as a firmware upgrade on the same lines as legacy IS on the E3/E510-20.

It can be implemented after a fashion using a "Dandelion" adaptor. These are basically a microchip to engage the camera contacts fitted to a legacy to 4/3rds adaptor (can be purchased pre-assembled or as a chip you fit to an adaptor yourself).

Most of the reports on forums go very quiet after purchasing - which tells it's own story, I guess. As far as I can tell from the few reports of their operation I've seen, they are somewhat fiddly to use (I think you have to "program" the adaptor with focal length and aperture settings), although some people report good results.

If you haven't seen it, and are interested in legacy lenses, you may be interested in this Flickr Group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/om_four_thirds_adapter/

MarkVarley
30th December 2008, 12:57 PM
Possibly not a good solution unless they are very cheap as I have about 6 or 7 manual lenses I often use.
A shame but not a big problem, I'll just keep doing it the way I already do ;) Thanks Hugh

mike_j
30th December 2008, 04:04 PM
I use quite a lot of 'legacy' lenses, ranging from M42 ro Leica R and they can be a lot of fun, though to be honest, generally not as good as Olympus Digital 4/3 lenses. I did try a borrowed focus confirm adapter and it seemed to function quite well, though I was unconvinced that it was worth the money on my system as focussing is fine on my e510 using live view x7.

One persistant problem I have is flare, especially on really large aperture lenses, and it has been suggested that cutting down the size of the exit pupil on the lenses can help. I would be interested to hear of any experience with this.

photo_owl
30th December 2008, 05:56 PM
I use quite a lot of 'legacy' lenses, ranging from M42 ro Leica R and they can be a lot of fun, though to be honest, generally not as good as Olympus Digital 4/3 lenses. I did try a borrowed focus confirm adapter and it seemed to function quite well, though I was unconvinced that it was worth the money on my system as focussing is fine on my e510 using live view x7.

One persistant problem I have is flare, especially on really large aperture lenses, and it has been suggested that cutting down the size of the exit pupil on the lenses can help. I would be interested to hear of any experience with this.

generally a baffle will only reduce stray light 'bouncing around' in the mirror box.

this light doesn't cause flare - it can however 'dilute' contrast a little which is why some people fit them.