PDA

View Full Version : Flash White Balance and CWB

Graham_of_Rainham
7th April 2016, 03:11 PM
I've just noticed that if I attach a FL-36R the WB sets automatically to 5500K.

However I can only select 5400K or 5600K in the Custom White Balance. :confused:

Oh! How I wish in Manual, everything was MANUAL

andym
7th April 2016, 04:27 PM
Now that's odd, I've just put my FL36 on my E-M1 and can select any value kelvin in custom white balance. Might be some other setting affecting it.
Also mine is an FL36 not the "R" version.

Very strange. :confused::confused:

Ross the fiddler
7th April 2016, 11:00 PM
That's strange. I have two FL36R's, one I bought new & later a used one (when I bought my used E-30) & one of them won't fire the flash when outside certain aperture settings (I think that was it). The other is fine. *shrug

Graham_of_Rainham
9th April 2016, 04:35 PM
For the first time ever, Olympus tech support didn't come up with an answer.

I'll play with some more settings and different guns and see what happens.

I say again:

MANUAL should be exactly that...

maccabeej
10th April 2016, 08:09 AM
I don't know if this is relevant but there is a setting in the cog menu somewhere that overrides WB settings when using Oly flashes. The default is on. May have nothing to do with your problem but worth a try.

Graham_of_Rainham
10th April 2016, 09:39 AM
I don't know if this is relevant but there is a setting in the cog menu somewhere that overrides WB settings when using Oly flashes. The default is on. May have nothing to do with your problem but worth a try.

Indeed. It's on "cog G" and the three settings do make a difference.

However: If I fire the Olympus guns attached to the camera I get 5500K WB (Exif info) but if I was to fire them remotely with a Radio Trigger, I can only select 5400 or 5600.

It's only a small difference, but can be seen in the end results. Easily corrected in post processing, but that should not be needed or expected from a PRO system.

When you consider the lengths that Broncolor & Bowens go to to provide consistent colour from their heads, we should be able to dial in whatever colour we want...

Ross the fiddler
10th April 2016, 09:42 AM
It does not seem to have any connection when a flash is being used or not as it is just the available steps in CWB. In low values up to 2800 it changes by 50's & then by the 100's up to 4000, followed by 200's up to 7000 & then by 400's up to 9800 & finishing with 10,000.