PDA

View Full Version : Collectors - anyone fancy an Oly FTL?

Bikie John
4th April 2016, 09:12 AM
A friend here in sunny Salisbury is getting rid of a box of old photographic stuff. It includes an Olympus FTL body and what look like a couple of matching lenses. She is not sure about value and is going to trawl eBay but she might prefer a private sale to an enthusiast.

I hadn't heard of the FTL, it is an SLR and apparently it was a stop-gap between the PEN series and the OM1. Our friend Mr. Biofos has an interesting page about it:

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/ftl.html

If you are interested please contact me and I will pout you in touch with the seller.

John

Zuiko
4th April 2016, 09:23 AM
I briefly handled one many years ago and it seemed a competent model consistent with its generation, with good build quality. However, as John says it was something of a stop gap model and certainly lacks the innovation of the OM series. Bear in mind that additional lenses will be hard to find (it is NOT an OM mount) but it sounds a great acquisition for a collector interested in the history of Olympus cameras. :)

David M
4th April 2016, 11:57 AM
IIRC it had a Pentax screw mount.

Bikie John
4th April 2016, 01:41 PM
It did, David - the biofos page says it was the first M42 screw-mount to have full aperture metering.

More info - as well as the body there are 4 lenses, all Oly - 28mm, 50mm, 135mm and 200mm. General web opinion seems to be that it is a reasonable camera for its time but nothing really special, so probably of more interest to a historian or collector than a user.

John

Zuiko
4th April 2016, 08:12 PM
IIRC it had a Pentax screw mount.

I'd forgotten that - ignore what I said about lens availability!