PDA

View Full Version : Flickr's business model

Ricoh
29th March 2016, 12:12 PM
Anyone have any idea how Yahoo make money from Flickr? It's free to join and upload images with a massive 1TB of storage for anyone and everyone. Storage is cheap'ish but with something like a million images added daily (guess work based on a Google search) sometime soon the balloon will burst. What then, will Adobe buy it and charge a monthly membership fee, or the current owners do the same. They can't be getting commercial gain from selling our pictures, can they? From what I see 99.999999% of the uploaded pictures are garbage and not worth the storage space (I'm partly responsible).

SteveJ
29th March 2016, 12:43 PM
I have not loged on for ages (when you were forced to create a Yahoo email account)

But just loged in and I would say bloo** Addvertising and stealing any information about you they possible can, to pass on to anyone who pays them......... I think the Business model of all companys on the internet.

Steve

IainMacD
29th March 2016, 02:30 PM
You will notice quite a lot of people with 'Pro' accounts on Flickr (not me) these indicate they are paying an annual subscription ($49.99) which among other things removes the adverts.

PeterBirder
29th March 2016, 02:58 PM
You will notice quite a lot of people with 'Pro' accounts on Flickr (not me) these indicate they are paying an annual subscription ($49.99) which among other things removes the adverts.

Doesn't this make it "ransomware"? :eek:

All these "free" facilities remind me of the old adage "There's no such thing as a free lunch".

Regards.*chr

AMc
30th March 2016, 10:34 AM
Flickr provide a giant amount of storage for nothing - once upon a time you needed Pro to get a large amount of storage space but they increased that a long time ago.
IIRC the main thing you get from a Pro account now is analytics on where your traffic is coming from - if you are truly a "Pro" the cost is microscopic compared to trying to build and host your own site AND generate the same amount of traffic a bit of casual tagging and grouping can drive.

You don't get ads if you're a registered free user and logged in. TBH it's a mystery to me what the business model has been for a while.

Anyway as Yahoo! struggles they have put Flickr up for bids so it could all change soon.

http://petapixel.com/2016/03/29/looks-like-flickr-now-sale/

MarkG
30th March 2016, 11:36 AM
On a similar point, I've had a free email account for probably 20 years, it was initially talk21, then got taken over by yahoo and then BT. About 2 years ago they started charging 1.60 a month, fairly small but not the end of the world. Now they say the price is going up to 5 a month unless I transfer my broadband to BT.

It's ransom, sucking you in to using the free/cheap product until it becomes too much hassle to change. I've always used the same email address, so don't want to have to re-register wherever i've used it.

Ricoh
30th March 2016, 01:51 PM
Oh great, not too late for me to enter a bid :)

MargaretR
30th March 2016, 05:02 PM
Reportedly Flickr is now up for sale (http://petapixel.com/2016/03/29/looks-like-flickr-now-sale/)

Ricoh
30th March 2016, 06:16 PM
Flickr's rules of engagement may change once it's in new hands and if it becomes subscription only, then I'll probably rethink and look for an alternative.

What alternatives are there, what do other forum members use?

One thing I do like is the ability to follow other photographers who have a similar subject interest, mine being street, street and more street. There are some odd bods though, they'll follow you, like and comment on your images, leave it a few days then deselect you. If I find them doing this I'll pull the plug because they're merely attention seekers, and as such can disappear out of my life.

MargaretR
30th March 2016, 06:59 PM
I also have a presence on Ipernity (http://www.ipernity.com)

It's a French-based Flickr equivalent, although has also had its own issues and may not be viable long term, but you can join for free. I tend to use this one as my online photo album for all the holiday snaps, and Flickr for a more considered selection.

Petrochemist
31st March 2016, 08:26 AM
Flickr's rules of engagement may change once it's in new hands and if it becomes subscription only, then I'll probably rethink and look for an alternative.

One thing I do like is the ability to follow other photographers who have a similar subject interest, mine being street, street and more street. There are some odd bods though, they'll follow you, like and comment on your images, leave it a few days then deselect you. If I find them doing this I'll pull the plug because they're merely attention seekers, and as such can disappear out of my life.

I've had quite a few people follow me who are following thousands of others. I tend to assume they do it just to get you to follow them back - I don't do that. I only follow those who I know or who have sufficiently interesting images.

Petrochemist
31st March 2016, 08:36 AM
I also have a presence on Ipernity (http://www.ipernity.com)

I've tried Ipernity. It's free account is (like the old Flickr) limited to 200 images at a time. Unfortunately the groups facility isn't a patch on the old Flickr. Another possible alternative is Picture social (http://www.picturesocial.com/) (again with it's own issues & not a patch on the old Flickr) -Edit They might have gone as I'm now ONLY getting ads!!!

It seems to me that Google/Yahoo also don't know Flickr's business model. It's been declining for years having switched from quality to quantity. There is still some great information on Flickr (in the more obscure groups) but at every revamp it gets harder & harder to find. I hope it gets sold to someone who can revive it - but I'm not expecting any improvements :(

IanB
31st March 2016, 10:00 PM
I use Flickr Freebee. Apart from linking images to forums it does not do much for me. Cannot be bothered working the system for followers so only have 220 although I had 1000+ on Google Plus and that seems to have died off. I haven't been there for a quite a while

500px is another option I have not really looked at.

I do post a few pics on a couple of facebook groups

I had thought about using flickr for cloud storage but in the end I couldn't see the point or see the dramas in the future.

I would like to do a big tidy up in flickr but everytime I think about it I run off to find something else to do *zzz.

Just crazy the amount of photos we have these days
No wonder I'm a bit sick of it all

Ricoh
1st April 2016, 11:57 AM
Just crazy the amount of photos we have these days
No wonder I'm a bit sick of it all

I'm beginning to think like you, perhaps I need a break from photography. It seems rather pointless taking photographs without a purpose, and simply feeding Flickr is definitely pointless.

pandora
8th April 2016, 08:08 PM
I gave Yahoo the Flickr when it became mandatory to have a Yahoo account.

Eventually copyright expires and that's when they scoop on the .000001% that aren't garbage ,,, like yours and mine, but not his! :D

benvendetta
9th April 2016, 07:08 AM
I'm beginning to think like you, perhaps I need a break from photography. It seems rather pointless taking photographs without a purpose, and simply feeding Flickr is definitely pointless.

I totally agree. Quality not quantity.

Ivor
9th April 2016, 03:41 PM
I use Flickr. I had a pro account that came free with BT Broadband many moons ago, but when I switched bb provider I didn't pay to maintain the account. I use it to share images with people of similar interests. I also use it when I want to share an image on Facebook as I don't like the FB T&Cs for images uploaded to the site. I also use links to my own website and Wordpress based blog for sharing images on Facebook but FB is dire at creating proper previews from Wordpress, but Flickr previews work well. I don't worry about having lots of followers. I take photos for my own enjoyment and if others like to see them that's fine. If they don't, then I enjoyed taking and developing them anyway.

I have Ghostery and Adblock Plus plugins for my browser, so I don't see the Yahoo Ads.

I don't like Yahoo. It is too much like visiting The Sun or Daily Mail. The search engine isn't very good either.

As for security, I have reluctantly accepted that as soon as I go all privacy disappears. There is information about anything I have been active in over the last 10 or so years available online from other sources. My previous employers, voluntary work, the political party I actively support, the business I was a director of, where I live, the websites I own, who I am married to is all online for anyone to see. But there are 3.2 billion other internet users and I am not that exciting so who would be bothered to look.

I am really cautious about some of the information I give away. I have a fake online date of birth. Interesting discussion and I am eager to find out who will buy Flickr. It could be a much better tool than it is and I cannot be ****ed with Instagram, which I guess is its biggest competitor.

The varying quality of work on Flickr doesn't bother me, as long as folks are getting out and taking photos and enjoying it that's fine. Wonky horizons? Well, in time they will get them straight.

The photos I take now are better than the ones I took 5 years ago and there will always people who take better pics than me. I aspire to improve, but there will always be someone else's work that is better than mine.

Ivor

Ivor
10th April 2016, 07:15 AM
This photographer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5wWbzZZ93H73HkkHhTl8Yp3/the-perfect-storm-how-everyday-artist-steve-garrington-achieved-internet-fame) is clearly a Flickr fan. Some nice shots too.

Ricoh
10th April 2016, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I've been following Wentloog (Steve Garrington) for some time, and he's been kind enough to provide feedback on some of my snapshots too.
As you probably know, he teases the best from his Canon 5D MkIII. He's at the top of his game!

Ricoh
10th April 2016, 10:16 AM
I totally agree. Quality not quantity.

On another photographic forum, I made a comment along he lines I'd taken 500 shots over 3 or 4 months (can't remember the context) only to get lambasted by another who said he could do 2000 in a day, on a good day possibly more!!