PDA

View Full Version : Have you reset your camera clock?

Olybirder
27th March 2016, 11:27 AM
After going through the usual routine of resetting all the clocks in the house and car this morning, I realised that the time on my camera was wrong as well. It only took a couple of minutes to move it forward an hour but I am now feeling very smug. I have never got round to doing it before. Has anyone else bothered to do theirs?

Ron

skids
27th March 2016, 11:52 AM
I will do after reading your post. Hope it works out better than with the mantelpiece clock. I moved the clock forward as instructed and it fell off the edge............

Invicta
27th March 2016, 11:55 AM
Yes, first time I have bothered with setting the time on my cameras. The reason being I now have GPS device and geo-tag my photos using the Lightroom map module.

Must admit my Nikon was easier to change the time than my Olympus. It has a Daylight Saving Time setting on or off and changes the time with one click whilst on the Olympus I had to go though the menus to change the actual time settings. An idea I hope Olympus will adopt.

David M
27th March 2016, 12:01 PM
Our clocks went ahead two weeks ago and I still haven't got around to doing the cameras. I keep using them and forgetting until I import into Lightroom and realise I have time travelled.

Ross the fiddler
27th March 2016, 01:15 PM
Another week & we can put our clocks (& cameras) back an hour. At least I think it is only another week to go. :rolleyes:

Graham_of_Rainham
27th March 2016, 01:43 PM
My ones stay on GMT. I really wish they would stop moving the time back and forth. :confused:

crimbo
27th March 2016, 04:14 PM
I am with Graham . keep them on GMT

Harold Gough
27th March 2016, 04:25 PM
I have forgotten to do it for overseas trips before now.

Harold

Bikie John
27th March 2016, 04:42 PM
I too am with Graham. I would prefer BST as I like lighter evenings and don't mind dark mornings, but permanent GMT would still be preferable to all the faffing with clocks twice a year.

And yes, I changed the camera bodies this morning.

John

David M
27th March 2016, 04:50 PM
I too am with Graham. I would prefer BST as I like lighter evenings and don't mind dark mornings, but permanent GMT would still be preferable to all the faffing with clocks twice a year.

And yes, I changed the camera bodies this morning.

John

I think a lot of people agree but it does cause problems. Saskatchewan, Canada doesn't change their clocks. It never bothered me when I lived there but it does cause some confusion at times.

Naughty Nigel
27th March 2016, 08:32 PM
My ones stay on GMT. I really wish they would stop moving the time back and forth. :confused:

I travel quite a lot to countries with different time zones, so I leave my cameras and measuring instruments set to GMT.

Using GMT as a 'standard' avoids a lot of confusion, but like others I wish we could keep the same time all year round.

By choice I wish we could could adopt European time, as being an hour or two behind puts us at a disadvantage when it matters most.

We have to get up at 4.00 am to travel to Europe, and still arrive mid-morning, totally wiped out! Meanwhile, they can drift out of bed at 7.00 am and still be here in time for a 9.00 am meeting.

yorky
28th March 2016, 02:12 PM

I have to agree, I think summertime was a war time thing, I actually remember there was a period of double summer time! When I was a kid only my dad had a watch, We used to play out till it became darker and then go home, summertime was confusing to a seven year old but then double summer time- it didnt get dark till 10pm / The again, I only seem to be remembering it never seemed to rain, and if it did we used to gang up in someones air raid shelter-evert one had an Anderson shelter. Wow, the things we got up would have us in Jail for life now

OM USer
28th March 2016, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the reminder.

Mrs T
28th March 2016, 07:04 PM
I have now! Thank you for the reminder! Thankfully not too many clocks and timer to change!

Wee man
28th March 2016, 08:37 PM
Yes thanks for reminding me, all other devices are automatic.

blu-by-u
29th March 2016, 01:28 AM
Not necessary to reset my EM1..it goes to factory when the battery is out for a week. Strangely the settings remain intact.

Ricoh
29th March 2016, 09:54 AM
I rarely look at the time a photo was taken in absolute terms, its only use is to record a difference in time between shots. Therefore no need, or desire, to change the settings of the camera.

Harold Gough
29th March 2016, 10:14 AM
I rarely look at the time a photo was taken in absolute terms, its only use is to record a difference in time between shots. Therefore no need, or desire, to change the settings of the camera.

That is generally my approach. This can be important if you have removed images from a card. The camera will then re-use the missing numbers and you have to watch out for that. When you save such re-used files to your PC, in the same folder as those already with those numbers, you should be given the option to save as version 2 in the file name.

Harold

andym
29th March 2016, 10:25 AM
This can be important if you have removed images from a card. The camera will then re-use the missing numbers and you have to watch out for that. When you save such re-used files to your PC, in the same folder as those already with those numbers, you should be given the option to save as version 2 in the file name.

Harold

If your file is set to auto rather than reset this should not happen.
I don't change the clock on my cameras with the change to BST.

Ricoh
29th March 2016, 12:02 PM
I travel quite a lot to countries with different time zones, so I leave my cameras and measuring instruments set to GMT.

Using GMT as a 'standard' avoids a lot of confusion, but like others I wish we could keep the same time all year round.

By choice I wish we could could adopt European time, as being an hour or two behind puts us at a disadvantage when it matters most.

We have to get up at 4.00 am to travel to Europe, and still arrive mid-morning, totally wiped out! Meanwhile, they can drift out of bed at 7.00 am and still be here in time for a 9.00 am meeting.
You need to get yourself a worm hole. There's a good chance someone's selling one on eBay.