PDA

View Full Version : Well Done Olympus

Grumpy Hec
22nd March 2016, 07:33 AM
I went to the NEC yesterday and am moved to say a big WELL DONE to Olympus.

We hear a lot about brand loyalty in the context of customers being loyal to the brand but at the NEC we see that working the other way round by virtue of the free camera clinic. I dropped my EM1 in as soon as I got there and two hours later I had a gleaming camera which looked almost like new with the eyepiece replaced.

How about that for looking after your customers *chr

Excellent service guys and how delightful it is to be able to write a positive post about someone/something *yes

Of course my day was not all plain sailing as I succumbed to the pressure from my wife and bought her a OM10 mkII which she has been dropping less that subtle hints about for her birthday. Lovely little camera and and I am now going to have to explain the exposure triangle etc as she has always used various "auto" setting on her Stylus. She has a good eye for an image though so I suspect to see some decent images pretty soon.

Do they say don't teach your wife photography like they do don't teach your wife to drive :confused:

Anyway back to the main point of this post - thanks again to Olympus for an excellent piece of customer care.

Hec

Harold Gough
22nd March 2016, 07:47 AM
Do they say don't teach your wife photography like they do don't teach your wife to drive :confused:

Hec

Actually, they say "If your wife wants to learn to drive, don't stand in her way"! :D

Harold

MargaretR
22nd March 2016, 10:49 AM
I dropped my EM1 in as soon as I got there and two hours later I had a gleaming camera which looked almost like new with the eyepiece replaced.

Ditto. And I didn't notice any other of the Big Brands having camera technicians on their stands, so yes, well done Olympus. *chr

I assume you'll be posting some of your wife's shots with the EM-10II, to show us all how she's outshining you? :D:D:D

benvendetta
22nd March 2016, 03:39 PM
Mine came back gleaming with a new eyecup too on Sunday. The original seemed pretty good to me. Got chatting to one of the Oly women who I recognised from the Pen F launch. I told her how much I enjoined Damians lunch time session and she then disappeared to return with a very nice Olympus OMD note/sketch book for me. Oly certainly look after its customers in lots of different/unique ways. Well done *chr

rsh1960
22nd March 2016, 04:46 PM
There was another stand that where doing the same thing ,but they where charging 40.
Well done Olympus nice job on my E3.

yorky
22nd March 2016, 07:03 PM
Great to hear about good service. It make a pleasant change from all the moans and groans we often gear about.

Wee man
22nd March 2016, 07:23 PM
Great service I have a revamped camera. I raised the DR66 with the girl in charge of sales, she is to get back to me.
Then later in the day I was lucky enough to be given a signed limited edition print by Damian McGillicuddy worth 350!!
Beat that cafupenik etc.

OM USer
22nd March 2016, 07:30 PM
Great service I have a revamped camera. I raised the DR66 with the girl in charge of sales, she is to get back to me...

Good man. Keep us informed.

Grumpy Hec
22nd March 2016, 07:55 PM
I assume you'll be posting some of your wife's shots with the EM-10II, to show us all how she's outshining you? :D:D:D

Mmmmmmmmmmm - sounds like that would be setting myself up for a very public fall and endless taunting by the Hobbit. That's my vertically challenged wife by the way :D

Bengeo
22nd March 2016, 08:11 PM
Yes, a great service and with plenty of people using it. I felt a bit sorry for the guys doing the work as the boxes seemed to be piling up much faster than they could process them!

George Dorn
22nd March 2016, 08:37 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmm - sounds like that would be setting myself up for a very public fall and endless taunting by the Hobbit. That's my vertically challenged wife by the way :D

Not hairy feet, then :D

Cerebus
22nd March 2016, 09:36 PM
I bought a 2nd hand US-sourced EM-5 from someone else a couple of years ago when the camera was just over a year old. After the purchase I noticed there was slight crack along one of the screws underneath the screen (quite common apparently).

I contacted Olympus in the UK and they took the camera off me, sent it to a service centre in Spain or Portugal (can't remember) and fixed it for free! I did have the original purchase invoice but I was still impressed by the service that was offered by Olympus.

pdk42
22nd March 2016, 10:06 PM
I took my E-M1 and the E-M5 to the show on Monday and had a very similar experience. Both beautifully cleaned and with new eyecups. The E-M5 had a particularly nasty spot on the sensor that I'd previously failed to remove and they sorted that out too. Excellent.

I must say that Oly really are providing excellent customer service these days. The string of firmware updates over the last few years has been remarkable and turnaround to the Portugal service centre is quick and the work is of high quality.

PS - I've also bought my wife an E-M10 (but the mark I and a used version, but it's a super little camera all the same).

OM USer
22nd March 2016, 10:59 PM
... The string of firmware updates over the last few years has been remarkable...

E-M5 MK 1. Still a great camera but none of the new non hardware specific features. Grumble, grumble.

Grumpy Hec
23rd March 2016, 06:48 AM
Not hairy feet, then :D
She's had the op.

Grumpy Hec
23rd March 2016, 06:58 AM
I bought a 2nd hand US-sourced EM-5 from someone else a couple of years ago when the camera was just over a year old. After the purchase I noticed there was slight crack along one of the screws underneath the screen (quite common apparently).

I contacted Olympus in the UK and they took the camera off me, sent it to a service centre in Spain or Portugal (can't remember) and fixed it for free! I did have the original purchase invoice but I was still impressed by the service that was offered by Olympus.

On a loosely similar theme my wife dropped her 3 month old Stylus into the sand in Zanzibar and the dratted stuff got into the lens mechanism so I removed the battery to limit further damage. We sent it off for repair on our return to the UK expecting a quote but it was returned within a week all under warranty.

It was not a genuine warranty fault but they did it anyway. I call that superb customer care.

On the strength of the mindset that this created and the fact that my wife wants to move into the world of interchangeable lenses I bought her the excellent OM10 MkII.

So real customer care does pay commercially as well as making the world just that tiny bit better.

Hec

Wee man
23rd March 2016, 08:25 AM
Now I know why you were back to your grumpy self, not just spending money but the thought of your lenses being borrowed!
Was speaking to one of the technicians at five o' clock as he was having a break then a few more cameras turned up. So he was working right up to the end.

Grumpy Hec
23rd March 2016, 03:00 PM
Now I know why you were back to your grumpy self, not just spending money but the thought of your lenses being borrowed!
Was speaking to one of the technicians at five o' clock as he was having a break then a few more cameras turned up. So he was working right up to the end.

It's even worse than that:eek: Not just potentially borrowing lenses but I had two "kit" lenses which I was going to sell at some point to start a pot for the EM1 mk2 when it came out. I have gifted those so she has three lenses already on top of mine.

What a good boy I am. That is worth several months worth of brownie points I reckon. :rolleyes:

Hec