PDA

View Full Version : Keith Emerson RIP

benvendetta
12th March 2016, 01:41 PM
Another of my heroes gone to the great gig in the sky. Gutted.

Imageryone
12th March 2016, 02:02 PM
Not been a good year for heroes so far!

Jim Ford
12th March 2016, 02:27 PM
Never heard of him (but sorry he's dead, whoever he is)!

Jim

Wally
12th March 2016, 03:25 PM
Never heard of him (but sorry he's dead, whoever he is) Jim

You probaly have but it just hasn't clicked... Keith Emerson of the Emerson, Lake and Palmer rock band / group of musicians.

Graham_of_Rainham
12th March 2016, 03:43 PM
Saw them at the Royal Festival Hall: Absolutely Brilliant.

Olybirder
12th March 2016, 06:23 PM
I saw him playing with The Nice at the UEA back in the late sixties. His spectacular antics on stage made a big impression on this young man. A very sad way to end his life though.

Ron

Zuiko
12th March 2016, 06:34 PM
So sad. I saw ELP at the 1972 Melody Maker Poll Winners concert at the Oval - anyone else there?

Bikie John
12th March 2016, 09:50 PM
So sad. I saw ELP at the 1972 Melody Maker Poll Winners concert at the Oval - anyone else there?

Yup. Can I have that fiver back that I lent you please? :D

Also saw them a little bit later at a theatre near Piccadilly (London pavilion maybe?) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

John

Zuiko
12th March 2016, 11:03 PM
Yup. Can I have that fiver back that I lent you please? :D

Also saw them a little bit later at a theatre near Piccadilly (London pavilion maybe?) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

John

A fiver would have been a small fortune back then! :D

It was a great event, featuring Genesis, Wishbone Ash and Focus, amongst others, as well as ELP. I want to go back and live in those days. :)

drmarkf
12th March 2016, 11:14 PM
Yes, I saw ELP twice in the early 70s: I think Birmingham town hall and Wolverhampton Civic Hall.

I was in a very musical group of friends at school (classical, mainly) and Emmo really hit the spot with all that Copeland, Bartok and Janacek!

I had a valedictory play of Tarkus at full volume today. The Management weren't impressed, but my 26 year old gave every impression of enjoying the jazzy keyboard riffs and I'm fairly sure she wasn't just humouring the old git...

Otto
13th March 2016, 09:44 AM
I remember being at a terrific early ELP gig at Bradford Corn Exchange though exactly when it was escapes me. A sad loss indeed.

Graham_of_Rainham
13th March 2016, 09:55 AM
<snip>I want to go back and live in those days. :)

Pink Floyd in Hyde Park - Magical

*chr

drmarkf
13th March 2016, 10:35 AM
This is a useful aid to fading memories on concert dates:

http://www.songkick.com/artists/265092-emerson-lake-and-palmer/gigography?page=13

So, after checking that and a couple of old diaries, I actually heard ELP on 21st October 1970 at Birmingham Town Hall, and 24th November 1972 at the Odeon Birmingham.

Zuiko
13th March 2016, 12:17 PM
Pink Floyd in Hyde Park - Magical

*chr

I missed that one, but did see Floyd at Earls Court and twice at Wembley. *chr

skids
13th March 2016, 12:21 PM
Was really sad to to hear this news. Never got to see ELP live but was a big fan from the time my late brother lent me his Pictures at an exhibition album. They only prog rock band I still listened to after I decided what side I was on when the punk wars started. My two daughters love ELP's version of Hoedown (were introduced to it as it's used as the intro to the Danny Baker show on R5L.

Olybirder
13th March 2016, 12:57 PM
My two daughters love ELP's version of Hoedown (were introduced to it as it's used as the intro to the Danny Baker show on R5L.Yes, I was intrigued to hear what Danny would do yesterday. I was pleased that he let the introduction music run for much longer than usual and paid his tribute to Keith.

Ron

skids
13th March 2016, 01:10 PM
Yes, I was intrigued to hear what Danny would do yesterday. I was pleased that he let the introduction music run for much longer than usual and paid his tribute to Keith.

Ron

I thought Danny's tribute to Keith was just right and I too wanted a Tarkus poster when I was a teenager...........

Otto
13th March 2016, 01:13 PM

http://www.songkick.com/artists/265092-emerson-lake-and-palmer/gigography?page=13

Interesting, that page doesn't show any gigs in Bradford. However a search found this (http://fetherston.tripod.com/tours.html) which suggests it was actually at St George's Hall rather than the Corn Exchange. Whichever, it was a great night :). I'm fairly certain it was the December 1970 one as I do remember it was soon after I started at Leeds Uni that year.

David M
13th March 2016, 01:24 PM

Never saw ELP but thanks for the link. Saw lots of bands in the 70's and 80's, I used to try to keep the ticket stubs but a few never made it to the collection.

Imageryone
13th March 2016, 02:39 PM
Was never a great Concert goer, too busy playing back then, but I do remember seeing Joe Cocker and the Grease band at Cambridge Guild Hall back
in 1968/9 when they were No I. All I could hear for 4 days after were waves coming in, it was so loud. Just checked and the guitarist was Jimmy Page.