PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova

Loup Garou
9th March 2016, 04:37 PM
The number of sports people who are leaping to her defence makes me wonder how widespread illicit drug use actually is in sport.

skids
9th March 2016, 05:58 PM
Massively widespread I'd say.
Most successfully nation in Athletics events - USA.
Nation with the biggest and most successful pharmaceutical companies - USA.

My favourite sport is cycling (Road and Track) which (as most will be aware) has a really bad history. I'm hoping that all I'm seeing suggesting things are getting better (stricter controls / average speeds during major tours getting slower) are true. Despite all they are trying to do in cycling the number of riders that report that are taking medication for Asthma still amazes me.

At least the number of young people being killed by the likes of EPO seem to be reducing (as far as I am aware). I remember being in a hotel in France many years ago (there to watch a couple of TdF stages) and was woken up about 03:00 by the sound of people running up and down the corridor. Was riders taking exercise in the middle of the night to move blood round their system after taking EPO so their blood didn't turn into jam.

yorky
9th March 2016, 07:32 PM
If it is so bad a drug, how come its been legal for the last 12 years! I can think of two other ladies that must be on some body building regime.
Its time they stopped paying out so much prize money in all these 'sports' persons!

Imageryone
9th March 2016, 07:42 PM
Drugs in sport? Never heard anything so silly, just anyone can put their body through hours of excrutiating agony without help of any kind. :D:rolleyes::D When a missed match or game equals £millions in personal income are we surprised this happens ?

Zuiko
9th March 2016, 07:53 PM
I cannot see what anyone gets out of cheating. Even if they manage to fool everyone and get away with it, they still know that they cheated and didn't really achieve anything! Personally I'd rather come last and at least know I'd tried my honest best, that's why I have immense respect for Eddie the Eagle and consider him to be a true sporting hero.

Loup Garou
9th March 2016, 08:05 PM
If it is so bad a drug, how come its been legal for the last 12 years! I can think of two other ladies that must be on some body building regime.
Its time they stopped paying out so much prize money in all these 'sports' persons!

The drug - Meldonium - is considerably older than 12 years. It was (and still is) reportedly manufactured in then Soviet Latvia in the 80s to enhance the performance of Russian soldiers fighting in Afghanistan. It is un-licenced and illegal in the West, including the USA where Sharapova lives.

Can I ask which "other ladies" you are referring to? Is at least one of them an even more famous Tennis player?

On the same lines, there was a certain British Javelin thrower in the 80s and early 90s who looked (and sounded) like she could have given Mike Tyson a hard time in the ring. If she was not on anabolic steroids and probably more, I'll buy a hat and eat it.

OM USer
10th March 2016, 12:43 PM
... Personally I'd rather come last and at least know I'd tried my honest best, that's why I have immense respect for Eddie the Eagle and consider him to be a true sporting hero.

Lets hear it for Eddie The Eagle. He is a true sportsman.

Jim Ford
10th March 2016, 01:10 PM
I used to shoot competitively small-bore target rifle in the 60s and 70s. Several times I came second or third in important competitions when I could have come first if I 'put one over the top'.

I never understood people who cheat, they only cheat themselves - and where's the pride in that?

Jim

Imageryone
10th March 2016, 01:16 PM
I used to shoot competitively small-bore target rifle in the 60s and 70s. Several times I came second or third in important competitions when I could have come first if I 'put one over the top'.

I never understood people who cheat, they only cheat themselves - and where's the pride in that?

Jim

All down to the estimated $35,000,000 she earned last year????? Maybe?????

Ulfric M Douglas
10th March 2016, 08:27 PM
Cheating is only cheating if the rules of the day forbid it.
A hundred leagal supplements, a hundred illegal drugs. Call them what you will.
They take their choices but everyone, EVERYONE uses drugs.

I say legalise everything ... sure top athlete's average lifespan will diminish (and wannabes) but at least there won't be all this fake protestation.
So many screamingly 'clean' athletes are lying hypocrites and point fingers at their sportmates who got caught ... there are dhundreds. Alan Wells comes to mind as a single example. Lidford Christie's yellow eyes were a dead giveaway but he got away with it.

Fatima Whitbread was the aforementioned Tyson rival.

Bah. too many to even count.

Forget the testing, leave it be.

Mrs T
10th March 2016, 08:57 PM
Interesting thoughts here.

I've always thought that it seems wrong to have stripped Lance Armstrong of his 7 TdF titles, when he can't have been the only one doping. How are the people who finished 2nd any more worthy, and why was no one else penalised after the fact?

I heard today that Head are sticking with her for now. This all seems quite odd.

David M
10th March 2016, 09:21 PM
On the same lines, there was a certain British Javelin thrower in the 80s and early 90s who looked (and sounded) like she could have given Mike Tyson a hard time in the ring. If she was not on anabolic steroids and probably more, I'll buy a hat and eat it.

She presented me with my Kodak Gold award as Kodak were sponsoring British Athletics at the time.

IanB
10th March 2016, 11:53 PM
don't care either way, although it will be nice having less screamer; which should be banned
In fact I'm rather over the overpowered tennis of the modern times. It has become just a slogging match imo. Time for heavier balls or less power-rackets; and no 5 setters.

Harold Gough
11th March 2016, 06:59 AM
Now that she is unemployed, she can come and hold my flash for me!

Harold

Zuiko
11th March 2016, 09:11 AM
Now that she is unemployed, she can come and hold my flash for me!

Harold

Or, if she prefers, she can help me extend my monopod. :D

Wally
11th March 2016, 09:59 AM
I wonder just how many sportspeople don't use drugs? I suspect that in each sport they could be counted on one hand. A certain 'Jock tennis player' has recently extolled the fact that she - Maria Sharapova - should be banned.

I suspect that the sportspersons in each sports group that don't use drugs could probably be counted on one hand. Drug abuse issues can't be helped when some politicians are openly seeking to legalise certain drugs because they use them.

When some lords / politicians are caught out fiddling expences / claims for attendancies that they don't attend and, when caught, ask, 'why me? Everyone else is doing it'. Greed and power are two very real components when it comes to corruption and when it is found at the highest levels all the way down to the lower levels I wonder also, how many of us can say, in all honesty, 'I live in a glass house?'

Let's face it, if serious crime doesn't pay - Hatton Gardens judgement - then why is it always on the increase? Cheating at sport etc., gets bigger penalties than 'serious crime', yet still goes on.

The system itself is corrupt and will remains so just as long as those who make the rules can break them, claim privilege, get off with a slap on the wrist or say sorry.

:mad: Rant over :mad:

Harold Gough
11th March 2016, 10:17 AM
I take absolutely no interest in sport and feel increasingly justified in that disinterest with every year and every scandal that passes.

Harold

Loup Garou
11th March 2016, 12:55 PM
Or, if she prefers, she can help me extend my monopod. :D Her legs are longer than your monopod. :D

Harold Gough
11th March 2016, 01:00 PM
Her legs are longer than your monopod. :D

Are you saying that his monopod doesn't reach the ground? :confused:

Harold

pandora
11th March 2016, 08:08 PM
Like Ulfric says, legalise all performance enhancing drugs, no restrictions. Perhaps then that would be the end of all competitive sport, what a blessing. Regardless of what sport it is, there's always cheating and doping involved; is why I never follow it.

Jim Ford
11th March 2016, 10:37 PM
I take absolutely no interest in sport and feel increasingly justified in that disinterest with every year and every scandal that passes.

'disinterest' is incorrectly used here and I'm constantly irritated by hearing its incorrect use on the BBC! Because of its repeated misuse by the BBC, it's starting to creep into everyday speech.

'Disinterest' in something is typically when there is no advantage or disadvantage in the outcome of an event to the observer - often financial.

Therefore:
You can be interested in an event - watching it as a disinterested observer. In other words you have curiosity about it, but the outcome doesn't affect you materially.

Conversely:
You can be uninterested in something, yet have an interest in it! (not 'disinterested'). eg. You might find your tax returns uninteresting but you have an interest in them regardless, because they affect you materially (you're not a disinterested party).

Sorry, I couldn't let it pass - it was like finger nails down a blackboard to me!

;^)

Jim

Loup Garou
11th March 2016, 11:52 PM
Are you saying that his monopod doesn't reach the ground? :confused:

Harold I don't know, I have not seen it. I have no desire to since I have a perfectly functional monopod of my own. Still working well after all these years and it don't need no Sharapova to lengthen it out. *chr

Harold Gough
12th March 2016, 07:42 AM
'disinterest' is incorrectly used here and I'm constantly irritated by hearing its incorrect use on the BBC! Because of its repeated misuse by the BBC, it's starting to creep into everyday speech.

'Disinterest' in something is typically when there is no advantage or disadvantage in the outcome of an event to the observer - often financial.

Therefore:
You can be interested in an event - watching it as a disinterested observer. In other words you have curiosity about it, but the outcome doesn't affect you materially.

Conversely:
You can be uninterested in something, yet have an interest in it! (not 'disinterested'). eg. You might find your tax returns uninteresting but you have an interest in them regardless, because they affect you materially (you're not a disinterested party).

Sorry, I couldn't let it pass - it was like finger nails down a blackboard to me!

;^)

Jim

I am disinclined to agree. :)

Actually, you are right.

Disinterested is what is about to happen to savings accounts.:mad:

The BBC is infested with Americans. Anyone who can't pronounce "leverage" with the long 'e' is a spy.

As for the BBC, they muddle mistrust, which is ill-advised trust, and distrust which is lack of trust. Sadly, they two are now synonyms in some dictionaries.

Harold

Jim Ford
12th March 2016, 08:21 AM
I am disinclined to agree. :)

Actually, you are right.

Disinterested is what is about to happen to savings accounts.:mad:

The BBC is infested with Americans. Anyone who can't pronounce "leverage" with the long 'e' is a spy.

As for the BBC, they muddle mistrust, which is ill-advised trust, and distrust which is lack of trust. Sadly, they two are now synonyms in some dictionaries.

The trouble is that it's now so endemic and pervasive, that people that should know better are slipping into the habit. Lieutenant is frequently pronounced 'lootenant', rather than 'leftenant', and schedule 'skedyool' rather than 'shedyool', the last being particularly prevalent.

Agreed, the English language is evolving - but why is it always along semi-literate American lines?

I'm leaving the country when John Humphries starts using disinterest incorrectly!

Jim

Harold Gough
12th March 2016, 08:33 AM
Agreed, the English language is evolving - but why is it always along semi-literate American lines?

Jim

It's because we have semi-literate journalists and presenters, the same ones who regularly report that a river has "broken its banks", a phenomenon (not "phenomena"!) unknown to science, not least because water flows downhill.

Harold