PDA

View Full Version : That guilty feeling.

Kiwi Paul
5th March 2016, 04:49 PM
How often do you get that "oh no maybe I shouldn't have bought that" feeling after pressing the "Buy now" button? :eek:
Don't worry I've not purchased anything recently and I'm not experiencing it now..... but I have in the past and I'm sure to again.
When you get that feeling is it usually the cost or the fact you are buying something you really probably don't need or both?
I'm referring to camera gear btw since this is a photography forum.

Paul.

Imageryone
5th March 2016, 04:55 PM
With me, it is more a case of "Why did I buy that ? " as I look through my expanding collection.

Graham_of_Rainham
5th March 2016, 05:02 PM
How often do you get that "oh no maybe I shouldn't have bought that" feeling after pressing the "Buy now" button? :eek:

More than I did in the past... However I am also selling on a lot more things than I used to. ;)

My record for the shortest period of ownership was on this forum, when I received a brand new DR-66 in the post and sold it the next day. :cool:

Wee man
5th March 2016, 05:07 PM
Yes, but keep telling myself but you are selling xyz but never seem to get round to it.

greenguru
5th March 2016, 05:11 PM
The feeling is normally generated by, "How on earth am I going to explain/hide this?"

Kiwi Paul
5th March 2016, 05:17 PM
The feeling is normally generated by, "How on earth am I going to explain/hide this?"

I'm lucky, single man, no one to justify anything too....Hmmm that could be a recipe for disaster ;):D

Paul

Harold Gough
5th March 2016, 06:23 PM

I know that feeling. *yes

Harold

Harold Gough
5th March 2016, 06:30 PM
Whoops, I literally just clicked on another shoulder bag. This is for my Sony Alpha A7R, which I snuck in, and its adapters plus the Nissin RC Flash kit which I...

This time I can blame you, Paul, as this thread reminded me that I needed it. My wife may be in touch. :eek:

Harold

Mrs T
5th March 2016, 07:20 PM
Yes, it's a strange feeling! Being quite good at the moment - saving for an iPhone 7, and even though I've saved up will probably still feel that way when I buy it!

Ross the fiddler
5th March 2016, 10:31 PM
I've bought things that I couldn't resell or no one would buy anyhow & now I either end up with more junk or I just write it off or bin it at some point (like useless software or budget tripod head).

Wee man
5th March 2016, 10:54 PM
Just bought another camera bag, this time I am going to sell some of my others; watch out for them.
Guilt may wear off before I get sorted.

Naughty Nigel
7th March 2016, 12:29 PM
I get that feeling every time I get in my car. :o

Ralph Harwood
7th March 2016, 05:10 PM
Hi everyone!

I have reduced my guilt slightly recently when I donated my e-500 and a couple of lenses to my local scout group - the kids were doing their "digital photography" badge and I realised I hadn't picked it up in a whole year!

Cheers,

Ralph.

Harold Gough
8th March 2016, 08:50 AM
I am now viewing this through a replacement, high definition monitor which arrived yesterday.

Contrary to my normal practice, my wife knew what was about to arrive. This is the same make as the one I have been using for a year, which arrived, for my son, with a crack from top to bottom of the screen and slightly lifted front glass. As he received a free replacement, I got the freebie.

So, I did my penance in advance. I was rewarded with the new one offering more resolution than an internet search had indicated, the same as the maximum on the old one but which screwed up non-image displays.

With Easter on the way, this is one happy bunny.

Now, I can enjoy the full detail of my latest camera with 36.4 MP sensor. *shh

Harold

Ricoh
8th March 2016, 09:31 AM
Just bought another camera bag, this time I am going to sell some of my others; watch out for them.
If it includes the Think Tank Retro 5, let me know please.

Harold Gough
8th March 2016, 10:21 AM

Think of it this way:

Bag guilt is not as bad as gilt bag. :D

Harold

Naughty Nigel
8th March 2016, 11:32 AM
I am now viewing this through a replacement, high definition monitor which arrived yesterday.

Contrary to my normal practice, my wife knew what was about to arrive. This is the same make as the one I have been using for a year, which arrived, for my son, with a crack from top to bottom of the screen and slightly lifted front glass. As he received a free replacement, I got the freebie.

So, I did my penance in advance. I was rewarded with the new one offering more resolution than an internet search had indicated, the same as the maximum on the old one but which screwed up non-image displays.

With Easter on the way, this is one happy bunny.

Now, I can enjoy the full detail of my latest camera with 36.4 MP sensor. *shh

Harold

Just tell yourself (and your wife) that the quality will be appreciated long after the cost has been forgotten.

It doesn't always work but it is worth a try! :D

Harold Gough
8th March 2016, 11:36 AM
Just tell yourself (and your wife) that the quality will be appreciated long after the cost has been forgotten.

It doesn't always work but it is worth a try! :D

You seem unfamiliar with the woman's ability to recall all that a man has done "wrong" from throughout their relationship.

Your motive is suspect. Were you hoping to inherit? :mad:

Harold

Imageryone
8th March 2016, 11:52 AM
Dare any of you to point out to SWMBO the number of outfits in the wardrobe bought at enormous cost for special occasions, and somehow, never , ever suitable for any other occasion. *devil*devil*devil

I am already in hiding :)

Zuiko
8th March 2016, 12:33 PM
I'm referring to camera gear btw since this is a photography forum.

Paul.

So my blow-up doll doesn't count? :D

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/IRELAND_2010_P_464_e_2_r_s.jpg

Wee man
8th March 2016, 12:56 PM
Ricoh sorry not in my list.

Naughty Nigel
8th March 2016, 01:01 PM
You seem unfamiliar with the woman's ability to recall all that a man has done "wrong" from throughout their relationship.

Your motive is suspect. Were you hoping to inherit? :mad:

Harold

Having both a wife and a teenage daughter I am painfully aware of this fact Harold.

I once had to go away on our daughter's birthday as I had to deliver a lecture. (I think she was nine.) She had to go to school that day anyway, so there wasn't much we would have done.

Daughter is now nearly eighteen, and still hasn't forgiven me for going away on her birthday!

What an excellent idea John! Does she cook as well? :D

Zuiko
8th March 2016, 01:23 PM
What an excellent idea John! Does she cook as well? :D

Now that would be too good to be true! :D

Ricoh
8th March 2016, 01:31 PM

Does it ever go down on you John - in the sense of a slow puncture. Nothing stays inflated for ever, don't you know.

Ricoh
8th March 2016, 01:33 PM
Ricoh sorry not in my list.

What's on your list, might I ask.

David M
8th March 2016, 01:36 PM
Now that would be too good to be true! :D

In Ontario you could put her in the passenger seat and use the car pool lane.

I've just found a Tenba bag for sale so may pick it up although I don't need it. But I may need it in the future.

Harold Gough
14th March 2016, 02:35 PM
Back to guilt:

This morning, our Postie rang the bell. He had two packages, one large, requiring a signature and one of moderate size. Unobserved, I slipped the large one out of sight and declared the smaller one, which contained a pot plant.

The large parcel contained my latest lens, the Pentax 15mm legacy prime.

Later on, I had to go out to get wheat to feed the pheasants, a you do.

On my return I found my wife walking up the garden with a longish package of moderate size under her arm. Apparently the courier had delivered it to her there, just before I arrived home. "How many more?", she asked.

I assumed that the question was about plants. On opening the package and finding a new flashgun (for the camera she doesn't know about) I declared it as such. That seemed to be acceptable.

It's a tricky game this! :confused:

Harold

Naughty Nigel
14th March 2016, 03:49 PM
Packages and courier deliveries are always a giveaway.

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your viewpoint), my wife does our company accounts, so it is difficult to just 'lose' purchases.

However, she is usually more interested in meals that I have eaten whilst travelling away, and the number of courses. :D

Harold Gough
14th March 2016, 03:59 PM
However, she is usually more interested in meals that I have eaten whilst travelling away, and the number of courses. :D

Not the number of covers? :D

Harold

Naughty Nigel
14th March 2016, 04:33 PM
Not the number of covers? :D

Harold

I am trusted in that department. SWMBO is more interested in my fondness for fine food and wine!

A former boss once said that if he saw two receipts for the same restaurant in my expenses he knew it was worth a visit. :D