PDA

View Full Version : Avg

Harold Gough
4th March 2016, 08:16 AM
I have used AVG free and, more recently AVG Pro, on and off for many years. However, I have other anti-malware software installed because all find a slightly different selection of viruses. For example, Superantispyware is the best for Trojans.

Any way my AVG Pro had expired and told me it didn't recognise the (old) Key Code. So I went online via its link and purchased a 12 month subscription and clicked for a download.

Download seemed OK and installation seemed complete when it gave an error code.

(I had expected to new version to either ask me to uninstall the 2015 edition or to do so itself. Neither seemed to happen).

Anyway, I went online to AVG support and its Chat. I agreed to a remote fix. All seemed to be going well but it stalled again. The AVG agent said I had antivirus which would not allow AVG to be installed. I said it had worked well previously with those installed. I refused to have those removed and suggested a refund. That seemed to be the magic word as, after uninstalling the old version, the agent easily got the 2016 edition installed and working.

Before ending the chat session, I pointed out that that success was without removing the other software. That got no response.

By the way, AVG had previously confirmed that I needed a separate licence for running AVG Pro inside "XP in Windows 7". I now know that, although the XP is not integrated, and I cannot access Windows 7 or printers, etc, from it, the e-mails (Outlook Express) are scanned for viruses by the AVG Pro in Windows 7.

Harold

pandora
4th March 2016, 09:43 AM
My experience with AVG is that it is a corporate criminal, it was hell getting it uninstalled and finally when I did I kept getting pop up nag screens advising that my AVG was not working, it took months to get that stopped. I have since used Windows security essentials, no problems or viruses since on Windows7. And of course it's free and updates itself automatically.

Harold Gough
4th March 2016, 10:31 AM
My experience with AVG is that it is a corporate criminal, it was hell getting it uninstalled and finally when I did I kept getting pop up nag screens advising that my AVG was not working, it took months to get that stopped. I have since used Windows security essentials, no problems or viruses since on Windows7. And of course it's free and updates itself automatically.

Interesting. I am hesitating about the free update to Windows 10, which is supposed to have excellent protection, but I have not seen any reviews.

Harold

Ross the fiddler
4th March 2016, 11:38 AM
I have no problems with AVG Pro & have a multiple pc licence.

*chr

Harold Gough
4th March 2016, 11:41 AM
I have no problems with AVG Pro & have a multiple pc licence.

*chr

My local computer doctor swears by it and installed it on the one build for me.

Harold

Daveart
4th March 2016, 04:26 PM
Hi, I have ditched all antivirus software since upgrading windows 10and its built in antivirus, as I did some testing with Kaspersky which I used for years with windows 7 I switched off Kaspersky and used the win 10 it found a virus that Kaspersky failed to find. So know I only use win 10 antivirus don't even know its there.

Dave

pandora
4th March 2016, 05:50 PM
Hi, I have ditched all antivirus software since upgrading windows 10and its built in antivirus, as I did some testing with Kaspersky which I used for years with windows 7 I switched off Kaspersky and used the win 10 it found a virus that Kaspersky failed to find. So know I only use win 10 antivirus don't even know its there. Dave

Exactly, Dave ... I'm sure that some AV software companies actually write malware to install on your PC in order to 'catch them', which of course is impressive and keeps you $ubscribing.

Harold Gough
6th March 2016, 07:54 AM
Hi, I have ditched all antivirus software since upgrading windows 10and its built in antivirus, as I did some testing with Kaspersky which I used for years with windows 7 I switched off Kaspersky and used the win 10 it found a virus that Kaspersky failed to find. So know I only use win 10 antivirus don't even know its there.

Dave

I have seen or heard this week that Ransomware is getting past Windows 10 protection.

Harold