PDA

View Full Version : OLYMPUS Voice recorder ADVICE

Mdb2
3rd March 2016, 09:04 AM
Hello all, I do go out on various field trips, mainly fungi, I was interested in getting a voice recorder apparently Olympus are well respected in this field!
All I need is a simple device that can also syc on a mac?
Can anyone please advise.
Kind regards Mike

Wee man
3rd March 2016, 09:29 AM
Smart phone? mine records and links to my PC when needed.

Otto
3rd March 2016, 09:53 AM
Yes, I'd have thought a smartphone would do the job without being an extra item to carry around. My iPhone certainly has that feature and I think most others do. If your camera can do video you could even use that :).

Mdb2
3rd March 2016, 09:58 AM
Hi and thanks for your replies I have an iPhone but it is a lot of messing about each time I want to record. I thought a voice recorder would be better I believe they have voice recognition so can be left on to record?
Kind regards mike

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd March 2016, 10:36 AM
I have an old Philips Voice Tracer that works very well. It's mono only, but all the latest are stereo. It does what you want, runs for ages on AAA batteries and simply plugs into any computer.

Mdb2
3rd March 2016, 10:55 AM
thanks Graham.
Kind regards Mike

Harold Gough
3rd March 2016, 11:12 AM
Something to be aware of is that some devices need you to speak into the microphone from very close. If you are looking for a hands-free device that could be a problem.

Harold

OM USer
3rd March 2016, 11:43 AM
I have a "Olympus WS-831 Dictaphone with DNS" for recording lectures which works reasonably well. It came with "Dragon Naturally Speaking" (DNS) text to speech software (there is a cheaper version without it) which when used has proved effective. However the s/w is run on a PC, I don't know if there is a Mac version.

Ross the fiddler
3rd March 2016, 12:30 PM
Hello all, I do go out on various field trips, mainly fungi, I was interested in getting a voice recorder apparently Olympus are well respected in this field!
All I need is a simple device that can also syc on a mac?
Can anyone please advise.
Kind regards Mike

Don't forget you can record a voice memo with each frame on your camera. It means 'chimping' & then selecting it for the desired frame & when you play the slide show in OV3 it also plays the audio.

Mdb2
3rd March 2016, 07:14 PM
thanks to Harold and Ross. OM user I will look up this model.
Kind regards Mike.

drmarkf
3rd March 2016, 10:48 PM
I've used one of these for 15+ (?) years: http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/archived_products/audio/professional_dictation_1/ds_4000/ds_4000_main.pdf

I dictate reports and letters and email the files to my secretary from all over the shop/world. She has the compatible foot pedal to use while transcribing, and emails me the draft back.

It's been dead easy to use and bullet proof for the dictation side, although getting the transcription module and foot pedal to work with successive versions of Windows has been a bit of a dark art. The hand set takes SD cards and AAA batteries.

The DSS file format isn't very compact, but the advantage is that you can keep copies of everything: this avoids the disaster that occurred 15 years ago when three mini dictation tapes got wiped accidentally before they were transcribed...

Mdb2
4th March 2016, 08:32 AM
Thankyou Mark this version is obviously well tried as Olympus still manufacture it. Will try to find it in a store before ordering online.
Kind regards mike

drmarkf
4th March 2016, 11:51 AM
Thankyou Mark this version is obviously well tried as Olympus still manufacture it. Will try to find it in a store before ordering online.
Kind regards mike

It's in their 'professional' series covering both dictation and transcription, and there were one or two other members of that, some cheaper than the 4000. You occasionally see refurbished ones. They make/made a lot of other models and they might be simpler and less expensive but still adequate for your note-taking purposes.