PDA

View Full Version : Parasitic Websites

Harold Gough
2nd March 2016, 11:14 AM
I mean those who offer information gleaned from elsewhere in the hope of getting advertising revenue.

For example, if you want to take a look at the online menu of a pub, a search bring up endless sites which don't provide the menu and don't even show the pub location.

I came across an actual mis-information site yesterday. I needed to drive my wife to the local A&E after my wife sprained her ankle. Knowing that we could be there for fours hours, and we had a limited supply of coins, I searched for car parking charges. The website I found said that payment was by coins and notes, no mention of cards.

Anyway, we got out in just under two hours and found that there was a pay point which took all three. I had just put in my parking ticket and was about to make a card payment when someone tipped me off that the exit barrier was open. In case the barrier came down before we could get out, I cancelled my transaction and retrieved the ticket. Anyway we made a free exit.

Harold

Imageryone
2nd March 2016, 01:34 PM
Doesn't happen often, glad you made the best of it. How is the wife's ankle?

Harold Gough
2nd March 2016, 02:01 PM
Doesn't happen often, glad you made the best of it. How is the wife's ankle?

Thanks. Painful. Of course, she dismissed the prescribed exercise regime as nonsense.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
2nd March 2016, 06:25 PM
I am constantly irritated by this.

If I search for an hotel I want the hotel's website, (and I usually want my money to go to the hotel), not the hundred or so hotel booking websites that rip off small hoteliers.

I am even more irritated by the websites that offer 'free driver updates' for every device on the planet; except that you have to install some dodgy software/malware/adware to identify the driver that you need. :(

I know what I need, and I know I can get it free from HP/Toshiba/Microsoft et al.

Unfortunately, rather than making life easier, the internet has made it even easier for sharks to rip off gullible consumers, and it is next to impossible to find the scammers behind these dodgy sites.

Harold Gough
3rd March 2016, 07:26 AM

If I search for an hotel I want the hotel's website, (and I usually want my money to go to the hotel), not the hundred or so hotel booking websites that rip off small hoteliers.

When I am planning a trip to another country I want to research what there is to see. A search brings up pages of hotels. I couldn't say what information is given about them, as I have not the slightest interest.

Harold

Mdb2
3rd March 2016, 08:56 AM

I am even more irritated by the websites that offer 'free driver updates' for every device on the planet; except that you have to install some dodgy software/malware/adware to identify the driver that you need. :(

I know what I need, and I know I can get it free from HP/Toshiba/Microsoft et al.

Unfortunately, rather than making life easier, the internet has made it even easier for sharks to rip off gullible consumers, and it is next to impossible to find the scammers behind these dodgy sites.

HEAR HEAR
Kind regards mike

Mdb2
3rd March 2016, 08:58 AM
I mean those who offer information gleaned from elsewhere in the hope of getting advertising revenue.

For example, if you want to take a look at the online menu of a pub, a search bring up endless sites which don't provide the menu and don't even show the pub location.

I came across an actual mis-information site yesterday. I needed to drive my wife to the local A&E after my wife sprained her ankle. Knowing that we could be there for fours hours, and we had a limited supply of coins, I searched for car parking charges. The website I found said that payment was by coins and notes, no mention of cards.

Anyway, we got out in just under two hours and found that there was a pay point which took all three. I had just put in my parking ticket and was about to make a card payment when someone tipped me off that the exit barrier was open. In case the barrier came down before we could get out, I cancelled my transaction and retrieved the ticket. Anyway we made a free exit.

Harold

I do hope the wife is recovering well
Kind regards mike

Harold Gough
3rd March 2016, 09:11 AM
Thanks, Mike.

Early days. She has been desperate enough to start watching daytime TV.:mad:

Harold