Graham_of_Rainham
29th February 2016, 06:17 PM
http://capture-and-create.com/product/cp-2016-01/

Punkawallah
29th February 2016, 06:20 PM
Blimey *eyebrows*eyebrows

OM USer
29th February 2016, 06:27 PM
Wonder how much I could charge at "OM Mansions", the course limited to those with Oly cameras only of course.

Zuiko
29th February 2016, 07:30 PM
I only want to do a course, not buy the venue! :eek:

David M
29th February 2016, 08:07 PM
No doubt they'll get some people with enough money to pay for an instructor to set up shots for them.

pandora
29th February 2016, 09:50 PM
Seriously, are there still suckers around with more money than sense who would fall for this b/s! *crap

Harold Gough
1st March 2016, 07:20 AM
As they don't get started until 10.00 am they will have missed the best light.

No macro or wildlife content (unless the penguin suits in the evenings count).

What a load of tosh!

Harold

DerekW
1st March 2016, 10:18 AM
It is a holiday for people with a common interest, stop being so stuffy and self righteous.

And how do you know that they are not going to be set tasks like get up before dawn and capture the sunrise using info from the previous days talks/discussions.

Imageryone
1st March 2016, 10:22 AM
Some people have the cheek of the Devil, others will fall for it.

Bikie John
1st March 2016, 10:35 AM
It is a holiday for people with a common interest, stop being so stuffy and self righteous.

And how do you know that they are not going to be set tasks like get up before dawn and capture the sunrise using info from the previous days talks/discussions.

Well said, Derek.

If you can bear to scroll down and see some of their other options they have some much better priced offerings - a full day (09:30-16:30) workshop on "Street and Lightroom" is 110, reduced to 99 for early bookers. I've no idea whether it's any good, but the price in itself doesn't seem too out of line.

The holiday is a fortnight in a luxury hotel with loads of fancy food included. It's expensive but I'll bet they have compared very carefully with rival attractions and priced accordingly. If that's what you want it's good to have it on offer. If it isn't, nobody makes you go to it.

I can imagine it would be quite an enjoyable fortnight bathing in luxury, and with plenty of photography and discussion thrown in it could also be quite stimulating. If I had that much money burning a hole in the wallet I would rather take up stereo photography using a matched pair of 300mm f/4's, but that's my choice and for other people it may be different.

John

Zuiko
1st March 2016, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure about being stuffy and self righteous - I agree that it is up to people how they spend their money and this type of holiday, with the emphasis on luxury accommodation, no doubt caters for a niche demand in the market. However, to most people it is an eye-watering amount of money and therefore bound to attract comments of surprise, shock and indignation.

MarkG
1st March 2016, 01:33 PM
Day 9 Surprise Location Shoot ... (day trip to a stunning local castle)

Not much of a surprise is it?

Naughty Nigel
2nd March 2016, 10:08 PM
"Our retreats cater to the relative beginner"

I bet they do! We wouldn't want any photography anoraks asking awkward questions would we? :(

drmarkf
3rd March 2016, 03:03 AM
It does show the amazing value for money one gets for joining a decent camera club - ours is 40-odd quid a year plus around 2 quid a meeting (there are between 1 and 3 a week on various topics), plus the annual 4-day Photoshop course is I think another 50 quid. Furthermore I'm prepared to bet I've made more friends in the past year at ours than I would make at a week's course like that.

The 4.5k does strike me as quite expensive, although I expect there are enough takers for a comfortable and gentle bit of tutoring in fine surroundings. I'm sure they'll enjoy themselves and improve their photography (and barely notice the cost).

It's just not aimed at the likes of us, no matter what our income. For that much I think most of us would benefit most from a few nights in a Premier Inn or pub B&B with one to one tuition from our photography educator of choice (for example, you might be able to hire Joel Meyerowitz for a couple of days for 4.5k).