PDA

View Full Version : Sigma's new Foveon mirrorless camera

Invicta
28th February 2016, 08:12 PM
Sigma joins the mirrorless camera market with the sd Quattro and sd Quattro H cameras. These have Foveon sensors: sd Quattro APS-C (1.5x crop) and the larger sd Quattro H APS-H (1.3x crop).

More at

http://photorumors.com/2016/02/23/new-sigma-sd-quattro-mirrorless-cameras-with-foveon-x3-sensor-and-sigma-sa-mount/

Official release date as yet is unknown.

Zuiko
28th February 2016, 08:28 PM
Should be interesting. If the overall performance of the cameras does justice to the sensors it could put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Greytop
28th February 2016, 08:45 PM
It's a very interesting development.
My slight misgiving being that they opted for the 35mm frame mount but then it's understandable given some of the excellent Art lenses they have been releasing recently.
It's been rumoured that release date will be summer(ish) for the sd Quattro.

Edit: Sigma propaganda pages here http://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/sd-series/ if anyone is interested (I am :))

pdk42
28th February 2016, 09:14 PM
We'll, as much as I enjoyed the image quality of the DP1m whilst I had it, there were some really big issues with it that will need solving if these new cameras are going to succeed. These include:

- Very poor IQ over ISO 400 and pretty gritty at 400
- VERY intolerant to over exposing
- Absolutely dreadful raw processor from Sigma and no support in LR or other such software
- Very slow writing to the memory card
- Appalling battery life. Sometimes as few as 50 shots

I wish them well, but that's a pretty steep hill of problems to climb!

Greytop
28th February 2016, 09:38 PM
I'll admit I'm a bit of a fan of the Sigma Foveon, so a bit of a response to Paul's observations ;)
Of course as always your mileage may vary depending on your expectations of the camera and it's foibles. I don't think there is any doubt though that the output from these sensors can be stunning.

- Very poor IQ over ISO 400 and pretty gritty at 400
Agreed where the Merrills are concerned although it seems that the Quattro is a good step in the right direction. Also monochrome still looks great to much higher ISOs especially if you focus on the blue channel with Sigma Photo Pro

- VERY intolerant to over exposing
My experience has been that care is needed but the Merrills are not so much worse than the Sony m4/3rds sensor. I have found I'm able to recover a surprising amount of detail in highlights using Sigma Photo Pro.

- Absolutely dreadful raw processor from Sigma and no support in LR or other such software.
Actually I find it OK to use and quite effective (v6.3.2), OK it's relatively slow but using it quite a bit I have begun to appreciate it's capabilities :)

- Very slow writing to the memory card
Agreed with the Merrill but it doesn't stop you shooting, just reviewing quickly. This again has improved with the Quattro by all accounts and will improve further with the faster processors in the SD.

- Appalling battery life. Sometimes as few as 50 shots
Yes another Merrill trait, unbelievably I have 10 batteries between three cameras, it works though.
It looks like the SD has a much more practical capacity to the battery. :D

greenguru
1st March 2016, 10:17 PM
Yes, the Sigmas have issues but the images they can take when all parameters are met are unsurpassed in that price range. I have a DP2M and love it but it is only really useful in certain situations. I knew this when I bought it and I am not disappointed. This news is exciting and it will be interesting to see how they perform.