PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 8 Gig CF Cards.

Jim Ford
23rd December 2008, 10:23 AM
7dayshop have got 8 Gig Kingston 'Elite Pro 133x' CF cards for 10.99.

They've also got nice very bright LED torches that take a single AAA cell for 2.49.

Jim

Graham_of_Rainham
23rd December 2008, 02:49 PM
Well spotted. Thanks for the heads up, that's a good deal.

*chr

benvendetta
23rd December 2008, 10:46 PM
Crackin'price but don't they charge 3-95 postage and packing on top?

Jim Ford
23rd December 2008, 10:52 PM
Crackin'price but don't they charge 3-95 postage and packing on top?

Not now - it's free if you choose the ordinary postage. The card is also free of VAT because it's under 18.

Here's the quote from their terms and conditions:

"Our Postage and Packaging Options are as follows:

UK NORMAL DISPATCH - Free Of Charge
Average Dispatch Times: 1-3 working days
Average Delivery Times from dispatch: 3-5 working days"

Jim

Wreckdiver
23rd December 2008, 11:09 PM
Just ordered 10 x 4GB Kingston cards at 7.69 each: 7 Day shop (http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=102025) and no postage charge. I was just about to order 4GB Sandisk III cards from Play.com at 14.99 each when I saw this post - thanks Jim *chr

Steve

Wreckdiver
1st February 2009, 04:27 PM
Apologies for resurrecting this thread but just got around to checking the cards I recently purchased from the 7 Day Shop.

I did some quick tests to see what their write speed was like. Not accurate but just a rough test. I used one of the cheap 4GB 133x Kingston CF cards, a Sandisk Extreme III 2GB CF card and an old Lexar 1GB 80x CF card. The later 2 I know to be good cards from reputable sources.

I loaded each into my E-3, set on a tripod and fired from the remote cable. I kept the shutter pressed until the buffer filled and shots stopped and timed with a stopwatch from the beginning of starting shooting to when the save LED went out. I did each test several times each for each card and then took an average for each card. All shots were taken as raw.

The results I got:

Lexar 80x - 16 shots in 16:20 secs.
Sandisk 133x - 20 shots in 13:70 secs.
Kingston 133x - 16 shots in 22:40 secs.

You can immediately see that the "Kingston 133x" cheap card performed worse than the Lexar 80x card.

I also tested keeping the shutter pressed after the buffer filled and the camera then carried on shooting as quickly as the buffer emptying would allow. The Sandisk card was very noticeably quicker than the "Kingston".

I am not complaining as I paid little for them and they will do what I need them for but they are almost certainly fakes with low spec memory inside. This bears out what I have read in many photography magazines concerning fakes. A case of buyer beware, although the low price really does give the game away.

Steve

peak4
1st February 2009, 07:27 PM
Just had a similar play myself using Sandisk Exterme 3 card & the Kingston one.
I'd agree that the Sandisk Extreme 3 is noticably faster in continuous shooting at full speed before the buffer fills up, though my numbers are significantly different to yours.

With the Kingston I was getting;

25 shots in 15 seconds to fill the buffer, with the LED going out in 30 seconds.

With the Sandisk;

50 shots in 30 seconds to fill the buffer, with the LED going out in 40 seconds.

It seems that the Kingston takes about 15 seconds to clear the buffer, with the Sandisk only taking 10 secs.

I'm not sure you would notice much difference with the E-1, though I've not tried it yet, as I've got to go and cook tea.

Addendum before doing battle with a couple of dead fish;
Just been to My Memory's web site, my preferred supplier, http://www.mymemory.co.uk

They quote 20Mb/sec for the Kingston & 30 Mb/sec for the Sandisk Extreme 3, so that would fit in with my test results pretty well.
It leads me to suspect that they are probably as quoted and genuine.

Wreckdiver
1st February 2009, 08:00 PM
Just had a similar play myself using Sandisk Exterme 3 card & the Kingston one.
I'd agree that the Sandisk Extreme 3 is noticably faster in continuous shooting at full speed before the buffer fills up, though my numbers are significantly different to yours.

With the Kingston I was getting;

25 shots in 15 seconds to fill the buffer, with the LED going out in 30 seconds.

With the Sandisk;

50 shots in 30 seconds to fill the buffer, with the LED going out in 40 seconds.

It seems that the Kingston takes about 15 seconds to clear the buffer, with the Sandisk only taking 10 secs.

I'm not sure you would notice much difference with the E-1, though I've not tried it yet, as I've got to go and cook tea.

Addendum before doing battle with a couple of dead fish;
Just been to My Memory's web site, my preferred supplier, http://www.mymemory.co.uk

They quote 20Mb/sec for the Kingston & 30 Mb/sec for the Sandisk Extreme 3, so that would fit in with my test results pretty well.
It leads me to suspect that they are probably as quoted and genuine.

What mode are you shooting in? raw or jpeg? The important thing is the file size and hence the save speed in MB/sec. I take it you used your E-500 (8 MP).

Taking an average file size for the E-3 of 10MB then very rough calcuations give the following save speeds:

Lexar 80x - 10MB/sec (80x = 12Mb/sec)
Sandisk 133x - 15MB/sec (133x = 20MB/sec)
"Kingston 133x" - just over 7MB/sec (133x = 20MB/sec)

Figures in brackets the actual theoretical speeds based on 1x = 150kB/sec.

So the Kingston card is probably a 60x card (9MB/sec).

Steve

meach
9th November 2009, 03:36 PM
For more on this subject see my threads re H2TESTW
in the accessories section - it also tests read/write times

Paul

meach
9th November 2009, 03:40 PM
Sorry, I should have said the software section - in the useful utilities part

stevednp3
9th November 2009, 06:29 PM
I use a 2GB Sandisk Extreme II and 16gb Kingston 133x and to be honest I dont see any real differance in speed, but then I havent timed them ;)