PDA

View Full Version : NHS paying HMRC

sapper
26th February 2016, 06:34 PM
A report on a hospital in East Anglia is reported that it may not be able to pay creditors or, wait for it, HMRC.
Is it me, why do NHS hospitals have to pay HMRC?

PeterBirder
26th February 2016, 07:35 PM
Tax (PAYE) on employees earings?

VAT on staff canteen meals?

sapper
26th February 2016, 07:36 PM
Yeh, OK, I suppose that would be OK :D

PeterBirder
26th February 2016, 07:46 PM
Tax (PAYE) on employees earings?

VAT on staff canteen meals?

"Earings"? I'm loosing the plot.:rolleyes:

Just thought of some more, VAT on parking charges and the rent they get for "retail space" that all hospitals seem to have.

Harold Gough
27th February 2016, 07:11 AM
Rent for hospital-based concessions selling unhealthy food and sugar-laden drinks.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
27th February 2016, 09:11 PM
Rent for hospital-based concessions selling unhealthy food and sugar-laden drinks.

Harold

With chips! :mad:

The shops also sell cigarettes. :mad::mad:

sapper
27th February 2016, 09:30 PM
Yeh Yeh, OK, I get the message*zzz*zzz

JonSchick
28th February 2016, 09:21 PM
Actually (as an hospital employee) we have to pay tax on all kinds of stuff, including drugs, unless we set up arrangements with external companies to set up pharmacies on site in which case it's possible to save VAT costs (although I've heard that HMRC are looking into closing that "loophole" too so that they get the VAT off all the drugs we prescribe......). You couldn't make some of it up.....

Naughty Nigel
29th February 2016, 09:36 AM
Actually (as an hospital employee) we have to pay tax on all kinds of stuff, including drugs, unless we set up arrangements with external companies to set up pharmacies on site in which case it's possible to save VAT costs (although I've heard that HMRC are looking into closing that "loophole" too so that they get the VAT off all the drugs we prescribe......). You couldn't make some of it up.....

I thought medicines were exempt from VAT, or at least zero rated? :confused:

JonSchick
29th February 2016, 10:04 AM
Not the ones dispensed for outpatients and those leaving the hospital

Wally
29th February 2016, 12:58 PM
Not the ones dispensed for outpatients and those leaving the hospital

In 2007 when my wife was getting chemo I had to go to the hospital dispensary for some special cancer drugs so treatment could continue at home. I was very much taken aback when A. N. Other from the same ward had to pay almost 1,200 via their Credit Card for drugs as they didn't have the ready cash.

I don't know the circumstances but the Q has to be asked... what would have happened if payment could not have been met?