PDA

View Full Version : Avance payment.

sapper
26th February 2016, 08:17 AM
In June, we are cruising around Iceland. We broke the cruise last year, paid a deposit and yesterday got a letter saying that we should have paid the balance on the 19th Feb, four months in advance. How come? I wonder if travel agents demand payment so far in front of the actual service provided. Makes me cross!

Naughty Nigel
26th February 2016, 08:54 AM
Free money in the bank for them. :mad:

It was just the same with the Gas Board, who put up our monthly payments 'just in case we got into arrears during the winter period.'

Heaven forbid that we should owe the Gas Board 20 for a few days when we have been in credit by at least 150 for the rest of the year. *devil

We have now switched. *yes

Harold Gough
27th February 2016, 08:00 AM
In June, we are cruising around Iceland. We broke the cruise last year, paid a deposit and yesterday got a letter saying that we should have paid the balance on the 19th Feb, four months in advance. How come? I wonder if travel agents demand payment so far in front of the actual service provided. Makes me cross!

I hope you are going ashore, and preferably inland. If so, and you have to pay for drinks ashore, be prepared for a price shock.

That said, we thoroughly enjoyed our driving holiday and would go again.

Harold

sapper
27th February 2016, 08:16 AM
Yes I will be going ashore. The cruise it to Kirkwall and Iceland only with stops all around Iceland. I am looking forward to it.

Harold Gough
27th February 2016, 08:39 AM
Yes I will be going ashore. The cruise it to Kirkwall and Iceland only with stops all around Iceland. I am looking forward to it.

You must eat the local-caught fish. (Not the stinking shark ferment!).

Harold

sapper
29th February 2016, 09:14 AM
So I rang the holiday company to pay for our Iceland trip, and just asked the operator, why I had to pay four months in advance, and also, why a 2.5% fee for credit card payments.
He said, can you just hang on a moment sir, and came back with this answer, "The cruise company want the money up front, so we have to collect it, but as you have travelled with us before, we can put the date back by a month, re th credit card fee, we will waive it this time.
Result!

Naughty Nigel
29th February 2016, 09:35 AM
Pleased to hear it! :)

We have a credit card terminal, and even as a small business we pay considerably less than 2.5% commission on credit card sales.

Debit card sales cost just 3p each as a transaction charge.