PDA

View Full Version : New lenses

al_kaholik
23rd February 2016, 08:36 AM
Been a little quiet of late, life and work have been getting busy but as the better weather approaches I'm looking forward to getting back out with the camera.

As such, on Thursday, I'll be picking up two new lenses. They are used, but guaranteed optically perfect. I'm quite excited, if a little apprehensive - they've cost enough... But its the right time.

I'll leave you all on a bit of a cliff hanger until then, might be Thursday when there is more news on this. Plenty of time to get some speculation going :D

peak4
23rd February 2016, 10:21 AM
Cataract op, or Laser correction maybe?
Hope all goes well for you.

al_kaholik
23rd February 2016, 12:53 PM
That spoils the fun!

I'm a little short in the teeth for cataracts, but lasers is correct. Whilst some people get on fine with contacts and glasses I certainly feel I'd use the camera more if I was without.

peak4
23rd February 2016, 09:06 PM
I'm on varifocals, which work fine for most things, certainly photography is fine.
I do sometimes struggle with binoculars though.
It's not ideal, but I couldn't be doing with more than one pair of specs and changing between them all the time.

al_kaholik
26th February 2016, 08:02 AM
Well I was seen at 1130 yesterday. Other than a re-take of all my prescription measurements, the procedure took only eight, yes EIGHT minutes start to finish. As soon as I was done I could see very well but a bit cloudy.

An hour later the scratchy feeling of having something in your eye started and this lasted all day yesterday to varying degrees.

This morning I have very clear vision and a much reduced sensation. Appointment to check everything at 0930 and if all is good, life can continue, I'll be able to drive immediately afterwards.

Chuffed is an understatement, I've worn glasses and contacts for 17 years and personally for me this is a life-changing event.

Imageryone
26th February 2016, 08:18 AM
Congratulations indeed, having worn glasses for 60 years now,I can only imagine the feeling of being free of them.

Wee man
26th February 2016, 08:30 AM
Glad all went well, enjoy your new freedom.

catkins
26th February 2016, 09:35 AM
Glad to hear (or should that be, see) that the op. has gone well - it's amazing what modern technology can do, so it's pleasing that there is something better than Zuiko lenses!

peak4
26th February 2016, 10:06 AM
When my Dad had his cataracts done, the surgeon added corrected lenses, so he no longer needed glasses. He thought it was the best thing he'd done for years.
It's often said that the most important lens for photography is the one behind the viewfinder; seems you've no excuses now. Enjoy your new found freedom.

Ross the fiddler
26th February 2016, 10:36 AM
It's good news & hope you enjoy your 'new lenses'. *yes
I would be rather hesitant to go down that path since both my eyes have received injuries in the past (a few decades ago). A brittle cable tie flicked into one eye & my then baby daughter scratched the other eye. Both were right in the centre of vision & both gave me discomfort for about a year afterwards as the eyelid tended to stick to it overnight & sometimes it would end up being freshly ulcerated for the next day again. The ophthalmologist just said that I must be one of the unlucky few that has slow healing in that area. :( Them's the breaks! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, it's good to hear yours was so successful. *yes

*chr

al_kaholik
29th February 2016, 12:45 PM
As a quick update, I was behind a camera on Saturday and had no issues whatsoever using it. Vision has been perfect until today when it is a little blurry; I'm dehydrated is the cause apparently and nothing to worry about except where to find the next toilet!

Ross - I have a small scarr on my eye from contact lens wear in the past but it was not an issue, though highlighted it might be.

Very happy indeed, other than a bit of visible redness and sunglasses wearing on the tube, everything is normal.