PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Lithium Cargo Ban

Harold Gough
23rd February 2016, 07:56 AM
Unbelievable! After various bans in Lithium-Ion cells on aircraft, going back to at least 2007, only now is the bulk transport of these in aircraft holds to stop.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/23/lithium-ion-batteries-banned-as-cargo-on-passenger-flights

So having tried to prevent small fires on board, potentially huge fireballs are now meeting with disapproval.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
23rd February 2016, 09:56 AM
Er, so what kind of batteries does the Boing Dreamliner use? :confused:

And have they not suffered fires? :confused:

Steambuff
23rd February 2016, 11:44 AM
Be Warned .... Also watch what camera batteries you take on a flight .... with Finnair you are allowed 1 in the camera and 2 spare ..... so if you take 2 camera's that's 1 in each camera and 1 spare for each camera!!!!

Dave

PeterBirder
23rd February 2016, 12:08 PM
It is very easy to make dismissive comments on issues like this if you only read the headline and don't take too much notice of the substance of the article.

The ban is temporary and will be lifted in 2018 when a new packaging standard is introduced. It results from "concerns" from pilots and aircraft manufacturers that the current packaging standard is not adequate to contain a fire in a significant quantity of batteries. This seems eminently sensible and reflects the fact that the aviation industry is one of the most safety conscious industries there is.

Airlines, both passenger and cargo carry all sorts of "hazardous cargo" which is quite safe in normal operations but has to be packaged so that it does not become a problem when something else goes wrong.

The Boeing Dreamliner Lithium ion battery fires were found to be due to a shortcoming in the design of the battery casing (the packaging). The battery casing has been redesigned and the problem solved.

Lead acid batteries if not "adequately packaged" can be pretty dangerous too. I well remember an incident from my "yoof". My Father had an old Triumph Dolomite (possibly pre-war) in which the battery was under the front passenger seat.:eek: Returning from a trip to the seaside one day just as we reached home smoke began billowing from underneath the seat and my mother made her hastiest exit ever. Flames erupted and by the time we got some buckets of water the acid had started eating into the floor.

Regards.*chr

OM USer
23rd February 2016, 04:01 PM
Be Warned .... Also watch what camera batteries you take on a flight .... with Finnair you are allowed 1 in the camera and 2 spare ..... so if you take 2 camera's that's 1 in each camera and 1 spare for each camera!!!!

Dave

Would 1 in the battery grip go unnoticed?

Harold Gough
23rd February 2016, 04:35 PM

If it is, expect an intimate...

Harold

Harold Gough
23rd February 2016, 04:37 PM

The ban is temporary and will be lifted in 2018 when a new packaging standard is introduced.

OK but there is temporary and temporary, some more permanent than others.:)

Harold

Steambuff
23rd February 2016, 06:03 PM

Yes .... as it is then installed in 'appliance'

In my hand baggage I had 1 in each Camera, 1 in each charger + 1 of each loose .... met the requirement.

Plus hidden in the case some more loose ones ... (I usually carry 1 in Camera and 4 spares per camera)

I was not checked .... just kept to their limit in hand baggage. (No limit on BA, only Finnair)

Dave