PDA

View Full Version : Cs4 Help!!!!

shirley
22nd December 2008, 04:28 PM
Hi everybody,
I have just received Photoshop CS4 extended, excitedly I have loaded it but I now have no idea how to import my pics. I would like to import catalogues from elements - is that possible or do I have to start again? Also how would I import from a file.
It seems I have fallen at the first hurdle!
Thank you in advance.
Shirley

shirley
22nd December 2008, 07:12 PM
Over the past two hours I have done some research. It appears that as CS4 is not a cataloging program I would need to use LR, but because Elements 7 is a newer program than the most recent LR it does not recognise the Elements 7 catalogue.
It seems I would need to wait for a LR update.
In the meantime I will probably run Elements 7 alongside CS4, not a bad thing while I am getting used to CS4.

StephenL
22nd December 2008, 07:20 PM
You are right - PS CS4 is not a database. You simply "open" files in it to work on.
For what it's worth, Lightroom has just been updated to read all the latest formats.

shirley
22nd December 2008, 07:31 PM
You are right - PS CS4 is not a database. You simply "open" files in it to work on.
For what it's worth, Lightroom has just been updated to read all the latest formats.

Thank you Stephen.
I have downloaded a trial version of LR and it still does not recognise Elements 7. I have clicked on look for updated version and it says I have the latest version.

Ian
22nd December 2008, 09:39 PM
Thank you Stephen.
I have downloaded a trial version of LR and it still does not recognise Elements 7. I have clicked on look for updated version and it says I have the latest version.

Hi Shirley, Lightroom 2.2 is your latest version - is that what you have?

Ian

shirley
22nd December 2008, 09:41 PM
Hi Shirley, Lightroom 2.2 is your latest version - is that what you have?

Ian

Yes it is.

StephenL
22nd December 2008, 10:00 PM
Just a thought - can Bridge (the file management aspect of Lightroom) recognise Elements settings? Try opening Bridge as a separate entity and see if there's any options for importing. I'd try myself but due to Visitors I'm on my Netbook which doesn't have PS.

shirley
22nd December 2008, 10:04 PM
Not that I can see Stephen.

Pete_VN52
23rd December 2008, 09:26 AM
I think your idea to use elements as the catalogue and CS4 as the editor is the way to go. There is probably an option somewhere in elements to set the default editing program to CS4.

Alternatively, if you import your photos into lightroom (you can leave them where they are and just reference them) it *should* pick up any keywords and metadata that you've applied - i think... It wouldn't take too long to set up some smart albums based on keywords to get things in order.

I recently made the move from iPhoto (on the mac) to Lightroom. It took a week to sort everything out, but now my photo's are in one easy to find place, and I've got loads of disk space back now that I'm not creating duplicates everytime I edit something.

250swb
23rd December 2008, 11:14 AM
Just to clear things up, CS4 comes with Bridge, similar to Lightroom. You can do all the normal cataloging, keywording etc in Bridge and then open the files in CS4.

Steve

shirley
23rd December 2008, 11:18 AM
Just to clear things up, CS4 comes with Bridge, similar to Lightroom. You can do all the normal cataloging, keywording etc in Bridge and then open the files in CS4.

Steve

Thanks Steve,
Yes I have looked at Bridge but it seems I cannot import my catalogue from Elements 7 and I would have to re catalogue everything - unless of course you know better.
Shirley

OlyPaul
28th December 2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks Steve,
Yes I have looked at Bridge but it seems I cannot import my catalogue from Elements 7 and I would have to re catalogue everything - unless of course you know better.
Shirley

Shirley I just covered something similar to this in the software forum on 4/3rds.

But basicly if you select all your image in the Elements catalog and go to file and select "write info and tags to file" then when you open bridge and import these images it will recognise and import the tags (keywords) and captions that you applied in Elements Organzer as will any other decent DAM program.

shirley
28th December 2008, 07:14 PM
Shirley I just covered something similar to this in the software forum on 4/3rds.

But basicly if you select all your image in the Elements catalog and go to file and select "write info and tags to file" then when you open bridge and import these images it will recognise and import the tags (keywords) and captions that you applied in Elements Organzer as will any other decent DAM program.

Thank you Paul. That is very helpful. I think I am just about sorting it all out now. I can now get on with taking more pics that need cataloging!