PDA

View Full Version : Sensor cleaning

peak4
21st February 2016, 02:35 PM
Afternoon folks, just been cleaning the outside of my E-M5, and spotted a foreign object on the SSWF in front of the sensor. Unfortunately it won't blow off with a rocket blower, and repeated on/off cycles of the camera won't shift it either.
Does anyone know how much Olympus charge for a sensor clean?

Thanks

Wee man
21st February 2016, 02:50 PM
Not sure but if you could wait they may be doing it free at the photography Show at NEC in March.

peak4
21st February 2016, 02:53 PM
Thanks Ed, but I might end up spending even more at the show. :rolleyes:

Graham_of_Rainham
21st February 2016, 02:56 PM
https://www.parkcameras.com/sensor-cleaning-service

https://www.calphoto.co.uk/repairs/sensor-cleaning

Ricoh
21st February 2016, 04:44 PM
I've not tried it myself, but many clean their own sensors - wet cleaning kits are freely available, in the sense of being easily found, at a price, on the net, eg Wex Photographic.

pdk42
21st February 2016, 04:48 PM
I cleaned my E-M5 sensor yesterday. It's not a problem so long as you're careful. I used SensorSwab pads with Eclipse fluid. The APSC swabs fit u43 fine across the shorter side.

Harold Gough
22nd February 2016, 08:22 AM
I cleaned my E-M5 sensor yesterday. It's not a problem so long as you're careful. I used SensorSwab pads with Eclipse fluid. The APSC swabs fit u43 fine across the shorter side.

Sounds like what I used. With a bit of care, it is quite easy and successful.

Harold

peak4
22nd February 2016, 10:33 AM
Looks like I'll be either doing it myself, or getting a quote from a local camera shop.

Just come off the phone to Olympus, who can't give an estimate.
One needs to send the camera off, and they will then provide an estimate for the cleaning.
This is true for all of the OM-D range apparently.
The very helpful chap even called me back to make sure it wasn't the E-M1 which is still under extended warranty, and would have been cleaned FOC.

Ian
22nd February 2016, 11:09 AM
Bill has asked me if Olympus will be flying in the repair crew from Portugal like last year for free sensor cleaning at the Photography Show - I should be able to confirm or otherwise as soon as I have heard back from the relevant bod at Oly UK.

Ian

peak4
22nd February 2016, 11:40 AM
Many Thanks Ian, here you go, not visible at all at F5.6, which is why I'd never noticed it.
however @ F22 No it's not a distant murmeration of starlings at the top right :(

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1518/medium/Image0000113.jpg

Ricoh
22nd February 2016, 12:44 PM
I would have no hesitation of doing a wet clean, thousands do it without a hitch. Google the topic, you'll find a good site beginning with 'M-U'.

Perhaps a 'dragons-den' job this, what about a simulator to allow the faint-hearted to practice, like surgeons presumably before they attempt a spleen job for real! ;)

Ian
22nd February 2016, 02:37 PM
I can happily confirm that the sensor cleaning crew will be on hand from Olympus at the show :)

Ian

drmarkf
22nd February 2016, 04:39 PM
I can happily confirm that the sensor cleaning crew will be on hand from Olympus at the show :)

Ian

Brilliant! Many thanks for that, Ian. They may be a bit busy...

Gwyver
22nd February 2016, 06:22 PM

Ian

Do you think they would also be able to replace the rear dial on my E-M1 at the show ? :)

Harold Gough
22nd February 2016, 06:25 PM
Many Thanks Ian, here you go, not visible at all at F5.6, which is why I'd never noticed it.
however @ F22 No it's not a distant murmeration of starlings at the top right :(

Yes, as users of small apertures, many macro shooters see sensor dust which others might not.

Harold

Wee man
22nd February 2016, 06:25 PM
Thanks Ian will take advantage this year again. Might be pushing my luck but will Olympus be supplying a nice free massage again this year?

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd February 2016, 06:34 PM
Perhaps a 'dragons-den' job this, what about a simulator to allow the faint-hearted to practice, like surgeons presumably before they attempt a spleen job for real! ;)

Or get a busted one on eBay as a practice unit.

peak4
22nd February 2016, 08:11 PM
Or get a busted one on eBay as a practice unit.

I've actually got a dead E-300 somewhere that I picked up for spares.
It wasn't so much lacking confidence, or ability (I'd like to think anyway); I'd probably be quite happy to have a go myself. Actually more the cost of the stuff to do it at home, since it's not something that's needed very often with the Olympus dust shaking system.
I think I'll probably pop down to the show if I can get a train at a reasonable price as an advance booking.
Looking at the camera a bit closer, I'm not sure if something has got in there and started growing, like a bit of fungus or similar. If I either buy the swabs myself, or pay someone else, It may still need to go back to Olympus anyway.
At least if one of their techs looks at it themselves at the show, it might be a complementary service, or it can go back to them, without me having gone to additional expense somewhere else first.
Odd really, when I first looked last night, it looked like a single large bit of fluff, but after blowing it a few times with the rocket blower, there seems to be more dusty stuff round the fluff now. Could be pollen I suppose. :(

See you at the show Sunday folks.
10.95 for the ticket and 9.50 return from Sheffield on Megabus. :)
All I have to then is to avoid registering for a 300mm f4 ;)

pdk42
22nd February 2016, 10:43 PM
Do you think they would also be able to replace the rear dial on my E-M1 at the show ? :)

I asked that last year and the guys said they didn't have the parts to do it. However, if you contacted them in advance they may be able to bring the replacement top plate (which is the bit that gets changed) with them. Maybe Ian could help find the right conduit to arrange it?