PDA

View Full Version : Friday Question - 19 Feb 2016

Grumpy Hec
19th February 2016, 07:15 AM
Forget all about this trivia on the future of the country or indeed the madness which is the world we live in.

I have a serious worry which has returned to bother me after watching some crabs in the Indian Ocean. This is not a new question but as I say it bugs me.

Do crabs think humans walk sideways :confused:

Hec

GRAHAMJ
19th February 2016, 08:14 AM
Maybe after a few glasses of that peculiar falling over water that some humans imbibe....walking sideways usually ends up in being flat on our backs!

Naughty Nigel
19th February 2016, 08:51 AM
And do rabbits say 'people, people' when their other half won't shut up? :confused:

Wee man
19th February 2016, 08:57 AM
There is an preconceived notion from this question that Crabs think, and even more important where do Hermit Crabs fit into this area of discussion?

Naughty Nigel
19th February 2016, 09:10 AM
There is an preconceived notion from this question that Crabs think, and even more important where do Hermit Crabs fit into this area of discussion?

Hermit crabs are too busy hiding under their shells. *yes

Grumpy Hec
19th February 2016, 09:15 AM

Ed, as always, gets to an important point.

My view is that for the purposes of this debate we should consider that crabs do indeed think. The quality of their thought processes may be considered some way below that of humans, well most humans at least, but they must have a view of the world.

Hermit crabs are a very particular case given that they consider that wasting energy growing your own shell is pointless when there are perfectly good discarded homes freely available.

Hec

Zuiko
19th February 2016, 09:20 AM
This is what puzzles me: if a bird can fly, can a fly bird? :confused:

And what if a fly looses it's wings, do we then call it a walk? :confused::confused:

Wally
19th February 2016, 09:51 AM
I think Hermit crabs have it right. They've been recycling since day one. We humans have just recently jumped onto that bandwagon but still pfaff around 1/2 heartedly. For this reason, I believe crabs have more intelligence than the majority of humans. Bottom line, we only think we are the more intelligent species on the planet because we are too arrogant to think otherwise.

We all may live in **** conditions of one sort or another due to human intervention, but how many crabs are homeless?

BTW... what was the question? ;)

Naughty Nigel
19th February 2016, 10:00 AM
I believe crabs have more intelligence than the majority of humans.

One only has to observe the Rush Hour in London, or Asda's Black Friday sales to know this is true. :D

Grumpy Hec
19th February 2016, 10:48 AM
Bottom line, we only think we are the more intelligent species on the planet because we are too arrogant to think otherwise.

)

As is well documented by the late great Douglas Adams humans are in fact only the third most intelligent life form on the Earth.

Wally
19th February 2016, 04:19 PM
As is well documented by the late great Douglas Adams humans are in fact only the third most intelligent life form on the Earth.

I'm very, very surprised we are as far up the ladder... which just goes to prove the the lunatics really are in charge of the asylum. *yes

Jim Ford
19th February 2016, 04:28 PM
I do like crabs. I love the way one no bigger than a ten pence piece will rear up and wave its claws threateningly at you, as if to say "Come on then - if you think you're 'ard enough!".

Jim

Graham_of_Rainham
19th February 2016, 04:40 PM
What about asking the horseshoe crabs, they have been about the longest, so should have worked it out by now... ;)

Naughty Nigel
19th February 2016, 05:18 PM
I'm very, very surprised we are as far up the ladder... which just goes to prove the the lunatics really are in charge of the asylum. *yes

The lunatics have been running the asylum for a very long time Wally, but they do get swapped around at least once every five years (or four years in the USA)! *yes

photo_owl
20th February 2016, 05:39 AM
The lunatics have been running the asylum for a very long time Wally, but they do get swapped around at least once every five years (or four years in the USA)! *yes

Currently stuck here in California, with the US on major primary debate and reporting, this hits a nerve...if I can avoid a TV screen I do, but even beach bars seem to have screens everywhere!