PDA

View Full Version : Time change after WiFi connection to iPad

Julian
18th February 2016, 05:19 PM
I have just noticed that when I connect my EM-10 via WiFi to my iPad and transfer images, the time on the camera is reset to be the same as that on the iPad. On a recent trip to Panama I wound back the time on the EM-10 by 5 hours but left my iPad on UK time. After connecting to the iPad and downloading jpg copies of my first day's photos the EM-10 reverted to the UK time on the iPad. Needless to say all subsequent photos received the wrong time stamp. Whilst it can be corrected in Lightroom it is very irritating. The same thing happens when I connect to my Android Phone so I assume it is an Olympus problem. Has anyone else experienced this effect?

Steambuff
18th February 2016, 05:52 PM
Do you have Geo-Tagging or Image Tracking enabled?
This will (and needs to) synchronize the date/time.

I always keep my Camera on UK time.

Dave

Gwyver
18th February 2016, 05:54 PM
Are you using Oi-Share to transfer the images to your iPad & Phone?
It is my understanding - but at present I can't find the reference to it - that this WiFi connection automatically syncs your camera's time & date setting to that of the phone/tablet when the connection starts.

In some circumstances this 'feature' can be very useful, because the camera clock is rather inaccurate, and if you habitually Geotag your images having an accurate timestamp in the EXIF (without having to repeatedly manually correct the camera's setting) is handy.

Julian
18th February 2016, 06:48 PM
Do you have Geo-Tagging or Image Tracking enabled?
This will (and needs to) synchronize the date/time.

I always keep my Camera on UK time.

Dave

No I don't use it.

Julian
18th February 2016, 06:56 PM
Are you using Oi-Share to transfer the images to your iPad & Phone?
It is my understanding - but at present I can't find the reference to it - that this WiFi connection automatically syncs your camera's time & date setting to that of the phone/tablet when the connection starts.

In some circumstances this 'feature' can be very useful, because the camera clock is rather inaccurate, and if you habitually Geotag your images having an accurate timestamp in the EXIF (without having to repeatedly manually correct the camera's setting) is handy.

Yes I am using OI Share. I like to use local time because it's the date I'm most interested in and not using local time usually results in photos take on the same day spread between two days. I'm sure you are right about the cause.