PDA

View Full Version : OT - Dry Socket

Garrie
23rd December 2007, 12:11 AM
Morning all,

This is very very off topic but has anyone had Dry socket before after a tooth extraction? I've currently suffering from it and the pain is MENTAL, can't sleep at all.. Anyone know how long it will last for?

Had a root removed from an old RCT that failed on tuesday and every since the pain hasn't ceased, went back to the dentist on Thursday to get some anti biotics which haven't worked at all, pain killers and neuofen only seem to stop it for about an hour, its like someone with a red hot poker is stabbing at your gum..

Sorry for the rant, just unable to sleep and need to let it out, lol..

Anyways I hope everyone has a Great Christmas and New year

All the best
Garrie

Ian
23rd December 2007, 11:18 AM
Morning all,

This is very very off topic but has anyone had Dry socket before after a tooth extraction? I've currently suffering from it and the pain is MENTAL, can't sleep at all.. Anyone know how long it will last for?

Had a root removed from an old RCT that failed on tuesday and every since the pain hasn't ceased, went back to the dentist on Thursday to get some anti biotics which haven't worked at all, pain killers and neuofen only seem to stop it for about an hour, its like someone with a red hot poker is stabbing at your gum..

Sorry for the rant, just unable to sleep and need to let it out, lol..

Anyways I hope everyone has a Great Christmas and New year

All the best
Garrie

Poor Garrie! Fingers crossed it will get better soon. I wish my kids would register that this going to happen to them if they don't look after their teeth! :(

Ian

Garrie
23rd December 2007, 01:23 PM
Cheers Ian, I got some cracking Macro shots of my lower wisdom tooth though ;)

If there was only one thing I could give my advice on that would be go to the dentist, no matter how scared or frightened you maybe. The pain of having poor teeth far exceeds any pain you will ever feel at the dentist.

I was scared of going to the dentists as most of my dental treatments that I can remember were in Saudi when I was very young. Since 14 (i'm 30 now) I've never been to the dentists but had to go to a few emergency ones untill this year. I thought I will have no teeth left if I keep getting them removed, plucked up the courage to go to a dentist and he is great so much better than I remember things to be, can't praise him enough.

Luckily my front teeth look mint (full set no gaps), its all my rear lower molars and a few uppers that are the problem, anyways they have all been fixed, some have had to been removed but mostly fillings but thats my fault for not going sooner as I wish to god I had done.

I don't wish to preech to anyone but I think seeing the Dentist is one of the most important things you can do, it may seem futile at the time if your in no pain but it will help you to stay that way :D

Anyways I'm off the see Rangers hump Aberdeen hopfully that'll take my mind off it a bit.

Cheers
Garrie

ps. If this thread isn't in keeping with the site I've no problem if you want to remove it.

Jim Ford
23rd December 2007, 03:52 PM
Have you tried Oil of Cloves to dull the pain? I find it helps a lot for immediate relief, but doesn't last.

Hope you're feeling better!

Jim Ford

Barr1e
23rd December 2007, 03:56 PM
Garrie -

I hope the excitement of the game cured the pain.

Happy Christmas. Barr1e

Ian
23rd December 2007, 06:28 PM
Cheers Ian, I got some cracking Macro shots of my lower wisdom tooth though ;)

If there was only one thing I could give my advice on that would be go to the dentist, no matter how scared or frightened you maybe. The pain of having poor teeth far exceeds any pain you will ever feel at the dentist.

I was scared of going to the dentists as most of my dental treatments that I can remember were in Saudi when I was very young. Since 14 (i'm 30 now) I've never been to the dentists but had to go to a few emergency ones untill this year. I thought I will have no teeth left if I keep getting them removed, plucked up the courage to go to a dentist and he is great so much better than I remember things to be, can't praise him enough.

Luckily my front teeth look mint (full set no gaps), its all my rear lower molars and a few uppers that are the problem, anyways they have all been fixed, some have had to been removed but mostly fillings but thats my fault for not going sooner as I wish to god I had done.

I don't wish to preech to anyone but I think seeing the Dentist is one of the most important things you can do, it may seem futile at the time if your in no pain but it will help you to stay that way :D

Anyways I'm off the see Rangers hump Aberdeen hopfully that'll take my mind off it a bit.

Cheers
Garrie

ps. If this thread isn't in keeping with the site I've no problem if you want to remove it.

The Lounge is for OT stuff :)

I have much the same issue as you - maybe not so bad but I did lose a last but one molar last year - painlessly it has to be said. I've always been good with brushing teeth, but that isn't the whole story - build up of scale, no matter how clean your teeth are, recedes your gums and it's not reversible - so you are right, regular visits for descaling and general checks is the best way to enjoy great teeth for life. I wish I'd taken that advice over the last 20-30 years...

Ian