PDA

View Full Version : A Song Thrush in Our Garden

Harold Gough
13th February 2016, 01:04 PM
That may not seem significant to some of you. We used to have them every year, nesting in adjacent gardens, but it has been quite a few years since we have even seen or heard one. Hopefully, it will become resident.

Harold

Imageryone
13th February 2016, 01:34 PM
I, too, have noticed they are much rarer in the garden. I think the growth in population of the smaller hunting birds may be having a detrimental effect. At one time, to see one was a treat, now seen every day without fail. Changing times, unfortunately.

Harold Gough
13th February 2016, 02:02 PM
I, too, have noticed they are much rarer in the garden. I think the growth in population of the smaller hunting birds may be having a detrimental effect. At one time, to see one was a treat, now seen every day without fail. Changing times, unfortunately.

While I can't discount that idea, we have plenty of Blackbirds (also thrushes, of the same size) and of medium-sized birds, such as Jays, Wood Pigeons and Collared Doves and Magpies.

We see Red Kites overhead daily, but they are scavengers, and Buzzards, hundreds of feet up, on many days.

Harold

Graham_of_Rainham
13th February 2016, 03:23 PM
I do the RSPB Bird Watch and have not reported seeing one for years. :(

David M
13th February 2016, 03:33 PM
IIRC the Song Thrush is a species in decline in the UK. As are House Sparrows I think.

Harold Gough
13th February 2016, 03:41 PM
IIRC the Song Thrush is a species in decline in the UK. As are House Sparrows I think.

Probably so.

I think some of the birds are very localised. For example, I wondered who buys the large sacks of Niger Seed, so far as I know, only of interest to Goldfinches. We see one about every five years, yet they have flocks of them in the estate a mile away. There are similar local discrepancies with Greenfinches and House Sparrows.

Harold

Imageryone
13th February 2016, 05:25 PM
While I can't discount that idea, we have plenty of Blackbirds (also thrushes, of the same size) and of medium-sized birds, such as Jays, Wood Pigeons and Collared Doves and Magpies.

We see Red Kites overhead daily, but they are scavengers, and Buzzards, hundreds of feet up, on many days.

Harold

Around here we have a plethora of Sparrow Hawks, regularly see 3 each day just on the 3 mile ride to work.
We also have Red Kites and Buzzards around, but they don't bother the smaller birds.

Harold Gough
14th July 2016, 09:24 AM
I'm pleased to say that the thrush is still around in July.

Harold

Magus
14th July 2016, 09:44 PM
Probably so.

I think some of the birds are very localised. For example, I wondered who buys the large sacks of Niger Seed, so far as I know, only of interest to Goldfinches. We see one about every five years, yet they have flocks of them in the estate a mile away. There are similar local discrepancies with Greenfinches and House Sparrows.

Harold

In an inner suburb of Manchester I have many Goldfinches coming to the feeders every day (not Niger) and good number of Greenfinches but I haven't seen a Song Thrush, a Sparrow or a Starling for years. I do occasionally have a Sparrow Hawk but still have huge numbers of all four of the common Tits. I agree that the distribution is very patchy.

Wee man
14th July 2016, 10:50 PM
Have noticed the sky is empty of swallows,swifts and Martins in the last week, checked with friends six miles south and they are the same anyone else noticed this?

Harold Gough
15th July 2016, 06:13 AM
Have noticed the sky is empty of swallows,swifts and Martins in the last week, checked with friends six miles south and they are the same anyone else noticed this?

Some (House Martins?) flying on most days, some very high yesterday.

At ground level, insect numbers have been very low this year and many still are down.

Harold

Harold Gough
15th July 2016, 09:07 AM
This morning, for the first time in many years, I saw a mollusk being located, carried to a hard surface (concrete path), and beaten against that surface.

Harold