PDA

View Full Version : Inequality

Graham_of_Rainham
11th February 2016, 04:15 PM
Everyone knows why there is a disparity between the number of Hot Dogs in the packet and the number of Hot Dog Buns in the Packet.

But why do they make so many battery powered things that take THREE batteries when the batteries come in packs of FOUR :mad:

Otto
11th February 2016, 04:42 PM
Think positively - after three changes of batteries you'll get one free! :D

Loup Garou
11th February 2016, 06:24 PM
Methinks it is to make you buy 4 of those 3-battery thingies every time. Then you will only need 3 of the 4-battery packs to run all 4 gizmos. What a bargain! :D

Wee man
11th February 2016, 07:12 PM
Grasshopper, is the question not why do they sell batteries in four packs when many battery powered things only need three?

DerekW
11th February 2016, 08:35 PM
It is to encourage you to go to Amazon and buy packs of 24 or more batteries and get them very cheap. Fortunately 24 can be divided by 3 or 4 or 2 so it is compatible with lots of devices.

Graham_of_Rainham
11th February 2016, 09:15 PM
Grasshopper, is the question not why do they sell batteries in four packs when many battery powered things only need three?

You have great wisdom "master", but how am I to see in the dark without the right number of batteries for my torch? :D

PeterBirder
11th February 2016, 09:26 PM
The number of batteries needed for a device to work is a technical constraint (multiples of 1.5v).

The number of batteries in a retail pack is an accounting constraint (profit contribution per unit shelf space/volume in shops).;)

Personally I use re-chargeable batteries for all my devices that take AA/AAA batteries and rarely need to buy a battery.*smug

Graham_of_Rainham
11th February 2016, 09:38 PM
...I use re-chargeable batteries for all my devices that take AA/AAA batteries and rarely need to buy a battery.*smug

Try "lamping" an intruder with an AAA torch. :eek:

DavyG
11th February 2016, 10:11 PM

Isn't that what a monopod is for? ;)

Dave

Wee man
11th February 2016, 10:43 PM
In line with above know of a case were two policemen one on only his second night on active duty were apprehending a burglar who was putting up quite a struggle. The experienced police officer shouted to the other "quick use your radio" so the inexperienced policeman did. He clocked the burglar over the head with the radio!
Result???

Imageryone
11th February 2016, 11:08 PM

You just get a Toshiba torch that takes their 18v rechargable battery, light like a searchlight and it would make a good club, too.:)

Harold Gough
12th February 2016, 03:42 PM
You have great wisdom "master", but how am I to see in the dark without the right number of batteries for my torch? :D

Open your third eye and be enlightened.

Harold

Ralph Harwood
12th February 2016, 08:07 PM
It is to encourage you to go to Amazon and buy packs of 24 or more batteries and get them very cheap. Fortunately 24 can be divided by 3 or 4 or 2 so it is compatible with lots of devices.

Or packs of 12 from ASDA - still divisible by 6, 4, 3 or 2! The problem still remains that after your third refill of the device that requires 3 batteries, someone comes along with something that only needs two and leaves one lonely battery sat their all by itself (without telling you! :mad: )

Wee man
12th February 2016, 09:16 PM
As you say I usually find there are batteries put safely in a drawer that mysteriously disappear when you go to get them and know one knows anything about them.

pandora
12th February 2016, 09:23 PM
The number of batteries needed for a device to work is a technical constraint (multiples of 1.5v).

The number of batteries in a retail pack is an accounting constraint (profit contribution per unit shelf space/volume in shops).;)

Personally I use re-chargeable batteries for all my devices that take AA/AAA batteries and rarely need to buy a battery.*smug

My own practice also Peter. *yes

pandora
12th February 2016, 09:28 PM
As you say I usually find there are batteries put safely in a drawer that mysteriously disappear when you go to get them and know one knows anything about them.
My place is notorious for that super-natural phenomenon, Ed - besides myself and the Little People, we have the place to ourselves - but I wouldn't trust a single one of those pranksters.

Graham_of_Rainham
12th February 2016, 10:42 PM
Because the torch is only used for "emergencies", the spare in the draw will be flat from age even if the "borrowers" don't snaffle it...

I guess I could update to a LED one and modify the old D cell one to fit around it. Wrap some roofing lead up to give if "heft". ;)

Loup Garou
13th February 2016, 12:44 PM
A very common problem with an easy answer. Find a good battery company that is not that common in the UK (I chose Varta, they are good). Hide the new ones at first but carefully keep the empty ones in a drawer where you know potential stealers can find it and make a song and dance if they go missing. Pretty soon the interlopers will think that those are hopeless batteries when the "new" ones they stole fail to last long. After that, no one will bother with your batteries. *chr

Harold Gough
13th February 2016, 01:08 PM
My own practice also Peter. *yes

Me too. I have an excess of rechargeables and offer them for household equipment but my wife insists on fitting non-rechargeables.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
13th February 2016, 11:13 PM

I gather the large (six cell) Maglite torches are popular in the 'security' industry for that very reason.

DerekW
14th February 2016, 10:09 AM
and the police can not touch you for carrying a torch.

Graham_of_Rainham
14th February 2016, 10:40 AM
and the police can not touch you for carrying a torch.

Unless it's the Sargent's Wife... :D

peak4
14th February 2016, 10:59 AM
We used to keep a stock of about 20 AAs in the cupboard at work for folks to use for their buzzers etc. Come Christmas time, they would always seem to vanish, at round about the same time one particular colleague appeared in the office.
I did feel slightly guilty one year; his kids might have struggled with their new toys, when he presented them with a couple of boxes of our collected used flat batteries.

It was never an issue after that ;)

Graham_of_Rainham
14th February 2016, 02:12 PM
The SOLUTION:

I found another 3 cell torch in the darkest reaches of: "the cupboard under the stairs"

SO: now it's 6 batteries...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Duracell-Procell-D-size-Alkaline-Battery-1-5V-MN1300-LR20-1-2-4-6-8-10-HeavyDuty-/321177225341?var=&hash=item4ac7a7887d:m:m2rxLiCf6Iefr_qc4KToVgg

*chr