PDA

View Full Version : Sign of the Times?

Harold Gough
8th February 2016, 02:52 PM
In Tesco, food section, on a shelf "Please pay for purchases before consuming". This was in the pet food section, and I have never even seen a guide dog in there.

Harold

photo_owl
8th February 2016, 03:31 PM
In Tesco, food section, on a shelf "Please pay for purchases before consuming". This was in the pet food section, and I have never even seen a guide dog in there.

Harold

Even if there was one, he would have to be able to read....*chr

Imageryone
8th February 2016, 03:53 PM
Not only able to read, but Paws to check if he had the right change :D

The Technician
8th February 2016, 04:37 PM
Aaahh but the dog has to be able to read as the blind owner would not see the sign !!

Graham_of_Rainham
8th February 2016, 04:39 PM
I've seen women in Tesco feed a family of five, with out one item being paid for.

Say one word to them and the air turns blue. Mention it to "security" and they ignore you.

I often paid for half a French stick when our kids were sat in the trolley.

This attitude that the freeloaders have really annoys me.

Naughty Nigel
8th February 2016, 05:59 PM
I've seen women in Tesco feed a family of five, with out one item being paid for.

Say one word to them and the air turns blue. Mention it to "security" and they ignore you.

I often paid for half a French stick when our kids were sat in the trolley.

This attitude that the freeloaders have really annoys me.

Nothing surprises me about Tesco, although they are a little upmarket when compared to Asda.

I cannot recall having visited a Tesco supermarket for at least twenty years, but a friend complained to the manager of the Gateshead store after finding bottles of quite decent Merlot kept in the fridge! :eek:

David M
8th February 2016, 06:53 PM
I've eaten those bone shaped dog biscuits as a joke before now but never in the store.

Ross the fiddler
8th February 2016, 10:47 PM
I've eaten those bone shaped dog biscuits as a joke before now but never in the store.

And now you're barking mad? :p :D

Zuiko
8th February 2016, 11:07 PM
Parents feeding their children with as yet unpaid for items in supermarkets is one of my pet hates. I've seen mothers give their child a yoghurt with a spoon evidently brought from home for the purpose. They will never learn to be patient or disciplined - and the children will grow up even worse!

Zuiko
8th February 2016, 11:13 PM
Nothing surprises me about Tesco, although they are a little upmarket when compared to Asda.

I cannot recall having visited a Tesco supermarket for at least twenty years, but a friend complained to the manager of the Gateshead store after finding bottles of quite decent Merlot kept in the fridge! :eek:

I'm quite surprised that in Gateshead there is a fridge or a Merlot. I'd have thought that the local customers would be more familiar with tepid Newcastle Brown.

Internaut
9th February 2016, 12:49 AM
Meh, I've never met a dog who wouldn't break the rules, given the chance to break the rules.

http://youtu.be/ceLvyOSZxzI

Naughty Nigel
9th February 2016, 12:23 PM
I'm quite surprised that in Gateshead there is a fridge or a Merlot. I'd have thought that the local customers would be more familiar with tepid Newcastle Brown.

Gateshead is slowly moving upmarket. The Gateshead Tesco store is huge, but it is part of a much larger complex which includes flats and student accommodation, so I don't think 'Broon' is quite as popular in the area nowadays.

Zuiko
9th February 2016, 12:36 PM
Gateshead is slowly moving upmarket. The Gateshead Tesco store is huge, but it is part of a much larger complex which includes flats and student accommodation, so I don't think 'Broon' is quite as popular in the area nowadays.

That's true of much of "the North," I wrote that post with my mischievous stereotyping hat on. Why shouldn't Geordies enjoy a good Merlot? I hear that in Liverpool they have recently discovered the delights of Blue Nun. :D

The Technician
9th February 2016, 03:47 PM

You would be hard pressed to see anyone drinking "A Bottle of Broon" these days, the brewery has gone :( its brewed down south now and I think the americans drink most of it now *chr

Harold Gough
9th February 2016, 03:54 PM

We used to pinch those, and eat them, regularly. As far as I recall, they were far better than Rich Tea.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
9th February 2016, 03:57 PM
You would be hard pressed to see anyone drinking "A Bottle of Broon" these days, the brewery has gone :( its brewed down south now and I think the americans drink most of it now *chr

I haven't even seen a bottle of Broon for ages. I remember the brewery closing (my wife's uncle worked there) but I cannot remember where it is brewed now.

I was never particularly fond of Broon myself. These days I much prefer Old Speckled Hen and Guinness, although I came across some Titanic Stout a year ago that was just gorgeous. Unfortunately it isn't easy to find.

The Technician
9th February 2016, 04:10 PM
It moved to the Federation brewery over in Gateshead but that closed too so went to North Yorkshire.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11395877/Newcastle-Brown-Ale-recipe-to-change-to-keep-America-happy.html

David M
9th February 2016, 04:14 PM

It's available in Canada if you're really desperate.