PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not

yorky
6th February 2016, 11:50 AM
I am toying with the idea of buying another lens. Can't decide if I would get the 17mm 1.8mm or the 25m 1.8. I have been so impressed with with both the 45 and the 85 lenses lens that I have strayed away from the zooms. point is, is the the Olympus or the Panny the one to get.?

Petanque
6th February 2016, 11:57 AM
I too am looking at these lenses although it is the 25mm I am most interested in. Robin Wong has an interesting review of this lens and regards it highly. Certainly worth a look.
Will be interesting to see what you choose.
Gary.

Graham_of_Rainham
6th February 2016, 12:19 PM
... Can't decide if I would get the 17mm 1.8mm or the 25m 1.8

Why not do a quick analysis of all your pictures and see what length you use the most. That way you can convince anyone that it's the best investment. ;)

http://www.vandel.nl/

Imageryone
6th February 2016, 12:26 PM
Hire both from Ian, then decide? That way I believe you get a discount?

pdk42
6th February 2016, 12:28 PM
The 25mm is the sharpest, by quite a margin. But the 17 isn't a bad lens and it's a beautifully made and designed lens. OTOH, they have different fields of view and only you can decide which you prefer.

Simon Bee
6th February 2016, 12:47 PM
Are the 45 & 75 ( 85?? ) currently your only lenses? If so first think about whether or not you would likely want a lens 'wider' than 17mm in the future. If yes then the 25mm may well be the logical next step, adding something like a <14mm later on.

If on the other hand you are unlikely to go wider than 17mm I would think it best to go for the 17mm now, it's a very versatile focal length and gets that bit more in the frame.

Thinking in 35mm film terms ( that's how my brain is wired ) a typical two lens outfit would consist of 35 & 90 ( M4/3 .... 17 & 45 ) and cover most needs. A typical three lens outfit would consist of 28, 50 & 90mm ( M4/3 ..... 14, 25 & 45 ). Of course this is not a hard rule but probably the most popular configurations.

I now use just two lenses with my OM1n .... 35 & 100 F2.0 Zuiko's and with my Leica M4 another 'old school' popular combination of 35, 50 & 90mm.

Perhaps as already suggested, hiring both for a week or two may be sensible then you can see which you prefer. Both are excellent, just different F.O.V.

Kind regards, Simon

yorky
6th February 2016, 01:54 PM
I have quite a few lenses the old 40-150 the 12-50 the 14-42 the Sigma 105 macro and the old 4 thirds 35 macro.But since buying the 45mm I have been impresed with the signal length 45mm . I think I am leaning towards the17mm. which is as near to the old 35mm lenses, which I always liked in the 35mm days.

Phill D
6th February 2016, 02:23 PM
I got the 17mm and it's great. I use it as a "museum" lens. wonderful for indoor low light and fairly wide aperture to get plenty in plus good at moderate close-ups.

birdboy
6th February 2016, 04:14 PM
I toyed with this problem between the 17mm & 25mm lenses because I wanted to try a very fast "normal field of view" prime lens. I tried both at the Pen F day and opted for the Oly 25mm f1.8 ordered last week but not yet received. The decision ultimately came down to which was the cheapest. Although I have the 12-40mm Pro lens I have often taken frames at 25mm but the lens is quite heavy compared to the primes. I have two main uses for it 1) for wide field astrophotography where weight is an issue because it will be mounted on a Skywatcher Star Adventurer tracker and 2) when we go on holiday and travel by coach I like to take pictures from the coach (with a rubber lens hood pressed against the window) so a small lens giving me the angle of view I typically see with my eyes seemed the logical choice. It will be used wide open to get the most light into the lens. One consideration that may help you is the depth of field a 17mm f1.8 has a Hyperfocal distance of 10.8m whereas the 25mm 1.8 is 23.4m. I think either lens will deliver so good luck with your decision.

Internaut
6th February 2016, 04:15 PM
I think the problem with the 17 is it's just not designed for landscapes. It's a street lens, where the relative lack of sharpness, compared to many or its peers, would not be noticed. Add to that it still sells for a fairly hefty premium. Still, if you want to shoot wide...

From a technical perlective, the 25 is very sharp (perhaps as sharp as my insanely sharp 12-40?), focuses close, and punches well above its cost in terms of Bokeh (which is, quite frankly, lovely). For a wider option, how about the Leica 15, which I've seen going for less than 17?

Petanque
6th February 2016, 04:29 PM
It is discussions like this, with helpful opinions and contributions that make this forum a stand out for me.

Gary.

Ralph Harwood
6th February 2016, 05:32 PM
Hi everyone!

Can I throw in a curve ball here and add a third (compromise) option - the panny 20mm f1.7? Due to the cost of the oly lenses early last year I decided to try the panny lens on my E-M1 at a Wilkinsons cameras event and was pleasantly surprised - so much so that I bought one. When I later tried a 25mm at an oly event in Leamington Spa I found very little difference in IQ and found I preferred the angle of view of the 20mm.

Cheers,

Ralph.

IainMacD
6th February 2016, 06:34 PM
I'm with Ralph, the Panny 20mm is very sharp and very small/light; the only thing is the relatively slow focussing.

pdk42
6th February 2016, 06:44 PM
The 20/1.7 is certainly sharper than the 17/1.8. It's a cracking lens. It's slower to focus than the 17 (or indeed most other u43 lenses), but for most of uses it's a non issue.

Mrs T
6th February 2016, 06:50 PM
I have both of those lens. I rarely use the 17mm but I love the 25mm. It was great for photographing my nieces at Christmas and ideal as a walk around lens at The Mall. If I could only have one, then for me it would be the 25mm without a doubt. Just my view!

Ricoh
6th February 2016, 07:10 PM
Another lens to consider at the wider end is the Panny DG summilux 15/f1.7 - brilliant IQ.

At the shorter f/l, of choice I'd go for the Panny 25/f1.4. Again this can produce stunning results, gathers a tad more light and offers slightly less DoF cf the Oly.

yorky
6th February 2016, 11:32 PM
II hadnt thought of the panny.It sounds interestiing. In days long past, I had a leica M3 and I loved the 35mm lens which made me consider the 17mm. I always thought the 50mm leitz lenses lacked a little though the Sumicron 50 was a wonderful lens. but when I could afford to buy the 35mm lens I loved the so called (at that tiime) wide angle. This is what makes me consider the 17mm

Ricoh
6th February 2016, 11:46 PM
You disposed of the M3, wow, it's one of the best ever film cameras!

F/l is all about what you enjoy photographing. It's a mute point whether we see at 50 or 35, but the best tip I read was to choose a lens and shoot with that lens for 12 months, get to know and see as the lens does, that way you can frame the shot before raising the camera. You will never see as the lens does when using a zoom.

Petanque
7th February 2016, 09:15 AM
Regarding the Panasonic Lens, does the slow focus apply to the mk1 and mk2?

IainMacD
7th February 2016, 09:31 AM

From what I recall the mark II was just a cosmetic upgrade.

Ralph Harwood
7th February 2016, 09:44 AM

I'm not sure, but using my mk1 for street photography using touch screen focus and shoot with the lens at f1.7, I never missed a shot due to slow focussing speed, and using just the same technique with the oly 25mm f1.8 I didn't notice any differences. For the price they are now (especially second hand) it's a great little lens, and makes an E-M1 as pocketable as my XZ - 2 compact!

Cheers,

Ralph.

yorky
7th February 2016, 10:31 AM
It could well be the Panny , thanks for your comments. Regarding the M3, yes it was really good but weighed a ton, I replaced with a Minolta at the time which earned me an awful lot of money. But, I think the E1 is a superb camera and I also use the EPL5 for convenience at times

yorky
7th February 2016, 11:31 AM
I have just been looking at the latest A.P.! Low and behold there is a review schedualed for next week of a Samsung 21mm F1.4 UMC CS X.
I have teh 7.5 fisheye and am very impressed with it. Set it F4 and you don;t really have to worry. Yesterday I went riound some craft bars in Bradford with one on an EPL5. Just stand on a glass and touch the screen, its a great fun lens.

Harold Gough
7th February 2016, 11:47 AM
I have teh 7.5 fisheye and am very impressed with it. Set it F4 and you don;t really have to worry. Yesterday I went riound some craft bars in Bradford with one on an EPL5. Just stand on a glass and touch the screen, its a great fun lens.

Do you mean the Samyang?

Harold

yorky
7th February 2016, 12:20 PM
Taken with a samyang 7.5 in a roam round the city yesterday
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136973318@N03/

AMc
8th February 2016, 11:41 AM
Just throwing another contender into your mix if you're considering the Panasonic 20mm.
I was looking at the Olympus 25mm F1.8 for a long time and wishing I could justify the PanaLeica 25mm F1.4 but just before Christmas Panasonic released a 25mm F1.7 at 160 new http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-panasonic-25mm-f1-7-lumix-g-asph-black-lens-micro-four-thirds-fit/p1581405

That was my Christmas present and I've been very pleased with it though I'm claiming no technical expertise on sharpness etc.
I'm surprised there haven't been head to head reviews but Panasonic seemed to drop it into the market without much fanfare.

I've mainly used it for indoor snapshot pictures of the family so not much I'm sharing on the internet but here are a couple. The frog was through the glass at the aquarium in the Horniman museum so pretty dark.

https://flic.kr/p/CPbVBA
https://flic.kr/p/BTZ5kN

Petanque
8th February 2016, 02:58 PM
Wow, your cat picture looks super sharp, nice capture. Another I am currently considering is the Sigma 30mm 2.8. It gets some excellent reviews. Anyone here using it?

Gary

tomphotofx
8th February 2016, 04:31 PM
I have a rarely used Oly 25mm f1.8 boxed in mint condition that I would part company with for a reasonable offer.:cool:

Please PM if interested.

Tom

AMc
8th February 2016, 04:47 PM
Wow, your cat picture looks super sharp, nice capture.
I'm very pleased with that one - I've just had a scan through my pictures and realise that I've hardly taken it out of the house since I got it. Really must get out and take pictures not just talk about taking pictures!

Naughty Nigel
8th February 2016, 05:37 PM
I have been so impressed with with both the 45 and the 85 lenses lens that I have strayed away from the zooms.

I have the 12 ~ 40 f2.8 zoom and it is an absolutely stonking lens.

The primes may let more light through but I would doubt that they gain much in terms of image quality.

I should add that I still have the 50 mm f2.0 E-System Macro lens, but by choice I prefer the zoom.

yorky
13th February 2016, 02:02 PM
I see in the A.P today that there is a review of the new Samyang 1.4 21mm lens. It just adds to the confusion of 17 or 25!