PDA

View Full Version : Ownuser Vertical Battery Grip for E520.

dennisg
20th December 2008, 01:17 AM
Hi!

Has anyone purchased this grip? I just ordered it and should be getting it in ten days. I ordered it last night and it is enroute to me via airmail. Pretty quick service, but would like to know how comfortable it is to use and how it performs with the E520.

To all a very Merry Chritmas and Happy New Year!

Dennis G*chr

Barr1e
20th December 2008, 08:02 AM
Wolf over on www.fourthirds-user.com has made a couple of videos on the grip. This might give you an insight.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=85m1Sl-ddAU

Regards. Barr1e

jucca
20th December 2008, 10:03 AM
Recentlz I got mine for E-510 'R' version. I'm pretty much satisfied with it, very well build, and now my 510 perfectly sits in my hands. Only thing I miss is ajdustment jog dial.

Here you have picture of mine E510 with Ownuser grip.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d124/jucca_vtr/Oly.jpg

dennisg
20th December 2008, 11:22 PM
Hey thanks a lot for the inof! The pictures surely make the camera look more imnpressive, and the additional hieght will give my E520 a better palacment on the Olympus FL-BK01 flash bracket. When shooting in the vertical position, the lens is off center to the flash. So the extra height should correct this.

I really like the AA battery auxilaery battery holder. A sense of security if the camera's battery goes south on me. And the remote that comes with the grip ends my need to buy the Olympus remote as well.

What I did notice from your shots, is the plug that connects into the camera. I am just hoping it isn't a major interference to the control dial above it.

When I get it, I will let you know how it is working here.

Again thanks and a have a very Merry Christmas!

Dennis G*chr

DekHog
21st December 2008, 10:38 PM
I've got one of these, also the 'R' version - the first one had to be returned as faulty as it constantly drained power from the batteries when the USB plug was left in the camera 2 x BLM batteries stone dead in less than 12 hours with everything turned off. They exchanged it no problem, just a pity it had to go all the way to HK and back again.

It's actually balances the E-5xx very well. The USB plug doesn't really interfere with the buttons on the back, but does impede on the down button very slightly. The thing I found more annoying was that when using the camera in portrait position the USB plug is right where your thumb wants to be - not a great inconvenience to me as I still tend to use original grip, even in the portrait position - I could see it seriously bugging some people though.

The remote is brilliant... almost worth the money on it's own. The instructions aren't brilliant, so if you need any help, just shout.

dennisg
21st December 2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks very much for more insight in the use of the grip. I hope I don't have a $129 item that fails on the first shot. As you said, going all the way back to HK is a drag and a lot of time. How long did it take to send it back and then get the replacement unit?

Just wanted to know just in case.*chr

DekHog
22nd December 2008, 06:34 AM
How long did it take to send it back and then get the replacement unit?

22 days in total to send it back and receive the replacement - not good, but better than sitting with a non-working $130 grip and some dodgy eBay seller who ignores your emails regarding it.

GadgetInfinity were nothing less than outstanding throughout - the only thing they advised was moving the battery switch to AA when the unit wasn't in use rather than the CRV3 setting - it was still the same, but I had no arguments about it being faulty from them, and was offered full refund or replacement the day after I contacted them even although it was well past the usual eBay 30-day warranty period.

dennisg
26th December 2008, 05:13 PM
Well I just got the vertical grip. It came in less that 6 days which reallly shocked me since this is the busiest time of the year to be sending items via the mail. The package was neat and not damaged and when I opened the box I was quite impressed with the quality level of a non OEM product.

The directions were straight forward and after hooking up the cable and installing the batteries, I was up and running. I did need to read the directions sevral times on how to set the switches on both sides of the grip, but navigated through them pretty quickly.

I did find that the camera was well balanced and when I attached my FL-50 flash, the camera remained strainght up and down on the camera strap rather than falling forward being top heavy with the flash.

I do have some questions. Does the grip switch from one BLM-1 battery to the other when one of them is exhasted? And I understand that you need to keep the switch in the off position to ensure that the batteries are not drained while the camera is not in use. Is this correct?

Now I just have to teach my fingers NOT to use the camera shutter button and use the other two on the grip. This is a very well built unit and I am so far very impressed!

Dennis G*chr

DekHog
26th December 2008, 06:06 PM
I'm not sure about the battery thing, but I'd imagine it uses them simultaneously rather than individually and the circuits step the power down to the correct voltage if required.

You do need to have the switch set to the 'Off' postition to stop it from draining power; either that or unplug the USB from the back of the camera. The battery switch can be left on the CRV3 setting as it makes no difference to power consumption what position it's in.

It's a nice product, just a pity about the exchange rate at the moment if buying!

dennisg
26th December 2008, 06:14 PM
Yes the economy is another issue that can't be solved by this forum. Maybe someday they will get it right.

Thanks for the follow-up and if I am not on, a very Happy New Years to you!

Dennis G

DekHog
26th December 2008, 07:33 PM
.... I forgot to say, if you don't want to use the self-timer functions or the shutter release buttons on the grip, you can leave the grip switched to the 'off' position and the camera will still function using it's own shutter release button.

Actually quite useful, as you'll never need to worry about picking up a 'dead' camera due to forgetting to switch the grip off.

dennisg
26th December 2008, 07:54 PM
Got it! Thanks!

Oh by the way, you can go to this site where I have started to upload some gallery photos. Most were taken with the E520 and others were taken with E500;

http://goldeneye.zenfolio.com

You can goto the slide show and if you chose to shpw settings and captions, you woll know where and how the shots were done.

The site costs $40 a year and you can upload full files and not have to compress them. The storage space I think is unlimited.

www.zenfolio.com

Enjoy!

DG*chr

Yorkie
28th December 2008, 11:42 AM
Hi,

I have the E510 grip and have been using it in anger for some time. The only problem I have is that if you leave it switched on you will drain the batteries. Appart from that it is great.

I did this report on the unit some time ago: http://www.alert-central.co.uk/UKPSGReports/E520Grip.pdf

Enjoy the grip*chr

rolfw
30th January 2009, 05:41 PM
Just ordered one on ebay, 69.90 inclusive of shipping, looking forward to trying it out. Like the idea of the external supply supplied as a bonus, should give a full athernoon's shooting with no problems.:)

Garrie
31st January 2009, 10:24 PM
I would love a grip for my E510 after enjoying my E1 with grip..

However and please forgive me I think this grip looks ugly and cumbersome. I wish Olympus would produce and OE grip for the e5xx series cameras.

rolfw
1st February 2009, 10:34 AM

However and please forgive me I think this grip looks ugly and cumbersome. I wish Olympus would produce and OE grip for the e5xx series cameras.

That would be nice, but I'm sure I couldn't afford one if they did. ;)

@ Yorkie, sorry, missed your PDF guide, excellent.:)

DekHog
1st February 2009, 11:34 AM

With anything other than a kit lens, it's actually makes a huge difference in the handling of the E-510 - definitely not cumbersome. I can't use mine without it now, no matter what I'm doing.

The E-510 being a bit small, I always felt like i was clinging on for dear life, rather than just holding the camera comfortably like I do with the grip. My little finger would always end up under the camera rather than on the grip due to lack of height. The grip rectifies all this.

The first version of this was a rather ugly beast, but the 'R' version is much nicer.

dennisg
3rd February 2009, 12:35 AM
Yes I agree. The vertical grip tames the E520 that I own and is much more balanced and feels like a good piece of camera equipment. With the Canon E1 hand strap, I can hold the camera with one hand very comfortably for long sessions or use a neck strap since the eyelet on the top of the strap has an extra set of eyelets to hook the neck strap onto. The other end of the neck starp goes into the vacant eyelet of the camera on the left side.

And having two batteries in the grip, you never look back for battery power.

Dennis G*chr

Archphoto
3rd February 2009, 01:37 AM
Until after 800 shots.............

But it is a great grip for shure.

Peter

rolfw
9th February 2009, 06:10 PM
Just received mine (sent from Poland), easily comes up to expectation. :) Very pleased with it.

unileeds
7th September 2010, 01:10 PM
I have to say the grip was the best buy for my E520! It really really provides a lot of balance to the whole set-up, specially if you have gigantic hands like me!! Only problem is trying to find a case that will be big enough for it now! I keep it on permanently, and I ordered 4 BLM-1s to make two sets of batteries, and the whole hting works well.

I do have one problem. For some reason I cant get the remote to work.. Can peeps help me on how to do this???

Ive had the grip for 6 months now, and bought it off fleebay for 40!! USED! So cant really send it back. I have tried using the remote with the following steps.
1. Turn Switch to the remote setting ie ON-OFF-IR on the grip
2. Press the little button with a pencil till it beeps once, and the LED lights UP.
3. I am then supposed to press the buttons on the remote, but when i do this nothing happens!!!

HELP!
BTW.. did I mention the grip was a gr8 buy?!

Welshlansdcaper
7th September 2010, 05:04 PM
Fascinating, will this grip work with the E500?

Mike

Garrie
7th September 2010, 05:17 PM
Hi Mike,

I'm gonna guess but I'm 95% sure the grip won't work the E500. I've had both the E500 & E510 and the bottom of the cameras are different and hence the reason the grip won't fit.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Garrie

Nick Temple-Fry
7th September 2010, 06:03 PM
Fascinating, will this grip work with the E500?

Mike
Ownuser advertise a grip for the E-500, a google shows it is also mentioned in various forums

http://ownuser.com.tw/e_olympus_E500.html

No experience of the product

Nick