PDA

View Full Version : Health update.

ringneck
5th February 2016, 04:21 PM
I mentioned my troubles earlier in Zuiko's thread " Having my portrait taken tomorrow" but thought it better not to intrude anymore.....

A quick reminder......
Yes I was very lucky...one moment in middle lane then almighty noise and car was side on being pushed along slow lane by a Juggernaut....it kept slamming into me as its brakes were coming on and off all the time...i was just waiting for my car to turn over but we both came to a halt safely.
Had to declare to DLVA I had passed out and waiting to see how long I have to keep off the roads.Cant get out to take any pics unless on the bus.

I have now had a Brain test...MRI scan and 48hour Cardiac tape - all in January and have to see the consultant when he has looked at all the results in March.

Good news...bad news....
Good...
I am now returning to work at a closer unit ( on 2 trains) part time with lighter duties....only a 1/3rd of the money but Twice the SSP.

BAD...
Had to tell the DVLA what had happened and knew it would be a minimum of 6 months without a licence but they are saying it has to be 12 months....its going to be a long Summer and Autumn.

Graham_of_Rainham
5th February 2016, 04:53 PM
Really sorry to hear of this. At least you have the good sense not to drive and report it. Imagine how you would feel if you wiped out some innocent people, like that Bin Lorry driver did.

Imageryone
5th February 2016, 04:53 PM
BAD...
Had to tell the DVLA what had happened and knew it would be a minimum of 6 months without a licence but they are saying it has to be 12 months....its going to be a long Summer and Autumn.[/QUOTE]

I was diagnosed Epileptic in 2007, and in the same situation, but decided at the end of 12 months to voluntary surrender of my licence.
Although major attack free during this period, the Hospital doctors can not guarantee I will never have another attack, so taking no chances.
Surprisingly, we manage very well, especially living in the wilds of the country where the last bus was seen 4 years ago.
I didn't think I could manage without a licence, but you can.

Ricoh
5th February 2016, 05:10 PM
@imageryone: That's extremely responsible of you mate, bravo!

ringneck
5th February 2016, 08:15 PM
I have mentioned the Bin Lorry case at home when I have been asked about driving again.....until the day comes when/if I get my licence back I dont know for sure if I will be able to get behind the wheel again.

Yes well done Imageryone for that brave decision - it is a major one after years of just taking getting around in a car for granted.

Mrs T
5th February 2016, 09:10 PM
I hope that you get some good news from the consultant in March.

I'm the sole driver in our house now. I had been for a few years, but officially since last year. Thankfully our buses are not too bad for Mr T getting around.

Barr1e
5th February 2016, 09:34 PM
Hi Keith -

It looks as if you are half way there. :tup

Best wishes for the future especially with the bus travel, Anne and I rather enjoy it. :)

Regards. Barr1e

Zuiko
6th February 2016, 12:37 AM
Busses are good if there are any!

Hope things get better for you, Keith and hope you are eventually able to drive again.

OM USer
6th February 2016, 12:08 PM
Best wishes for the future and hope you come out OK at the end of the 12 months. Look after yourself.

benvendetta
6th February 2016, 03:43 PM
Busses are good if there are any!

Hope things get better for you, Keith and hope you are eventually able to drive again.
Free bus passes are even better. We get them at 60 here in Wales ☺☺☺.

cliff
6th February 2016, 10:23 PM
Good luck to you Keith.
Wishing you all the best

Cliff *chr

Zuiko
7th February 2016, 05:07 AM
Free bus passes are even better. We get them at 60 here in Wales ☺☺☺.

But of limited use if you don't have the buses. We do have a restricted service, which happily has recently been saved from cancelation for at least the next four years, but the bus stop is at the other end of the village a mile from my house. Twenty years ago I could have walked to Everest Base Camp easier than I could walk that mile at the moment! And I'd have to walk it again on the return journey! :eek:

ringneck
7th February 2016, 08:58 PM
I could apply for my pass as soon as I was 60....but only qualified when I was 62....it all depends on you birthdate....DONT ASK !!!!

That money you can get towards winter heating is even more complicated...dont qualify yet.

crimbo
7th February 2016, 10:00 PM
Hopefully they do resolve the problem so that it can be controlled and you can drive safely.

The 'bin lorry' while a stand out incident is unfortunately not unusual but it is still amazing the number of people I meet who think it will never happen to them or that they can safely pull over!

What really hurt was that the DVLA decided not to prosocute such a blatant breach.

ringneck
8th February 2016, 12:48 PM
Believe me no chance of pulling over....you only know about it after it has happened.

Naughty Nigel
8th February 2016, 08:53 PM
I don't want to worry anyone but motor insurers can repudiate (reject) claims where a driver has an undeclared medial condition, even where that condition is unknown to the individual concerned.

Their arguments (amongst others) are that they can only insure against 'known risks', and that had they been aware of the risk they would not have offered cover.