PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried group photos with the 7-14mm?

Loup Garou
3rd February 2016, 01:32 AM
One of the remarkable features of the Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 is its linear correction across the frame with no barrel distortion at all, even at 7mm as long as the subject is about 15 feet or more away. I took some pictures of our house making sure that the camera was horizontal and the frame looks like something out a large format camera. That being the case, I wondered if it was possible to take old fashioned group photos with it...you know like old school or factory pictures with 50 to 60 people sitting/standing in 3 or 4 rows. I have no opportunity to try aything like that but wondered if someone else has.

Ricoh
3rd February 2016, 09:57 AM
I can't see why not, but anyone close to the lens will appear distorted.

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd February 2016, 02:04 PM
I did it at a wedding a few years ago. I asked the official photographer if I could step in front of him and take just one picture, while he was changing film backs. When I went at least 40% forward of the distance he was working at, I could see he had no idea of what a 7-14 was capable of... :cool:

To get all the people to look the right height, you do have to curve your group so they are all the same distance from you.

It really is a great lens but you also need to know how it works and use it appropriately.

Have fun.

drmarkf
3rd February 2016, 02:36 PM
I did it at a wedding a few years ago. I asked the official photographer if I could step in front of him and take just one picture, while he was changing film backs. When I went at least 40% forward of the distance he was working at, I could see he had no idea of what a 7-14 was capable of... :cool:

To get all the people to look the right height, you do have to curve your group so they are all the same distance from you.

It really is a great lens but you also need to know how it works and use it appropriately.

Have fun.

Nice idea.
You do need to be a bit careful of field curvature at 7mm when wide open, but that seems to become very much less of an issue from f4 (presumably in part because the depth of field then becomes huge).

It is an amazing lens.

Bruce Clarke
4th February 2016, 12:03 AM
One of the remarkable features of the Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 is its linear correction across the frame with no barrel distortion at all, even at 7mm as long as the subject is about 15 feet or more away. I took some pictures of our house making sure that the camera was horizontal and the frame looks like something out a large format camera. That being the case, I wondered if it was possible to take old fashioned group photos with it...you know like old school or factory pictures with 50 to 60 people sitting/standing in 3 or 4 rows. I have no opportunity to try aything like that but wondered if someone else has.

It would make a poor substitute for school type group shots, which are panoramas using a relatively narrow angle of view which preserves proportions. 7mm by being rectilinear rather than fisheye has to stretch details near the edges, generally being very unflattering to heads and bodies near the frame edge.

Beagletorque
5th February 2016, 08:58 AM
I took a group photo recently with an uwa as it was indoors and there was no space. The heads of the people in the front row were much larger than those in 3rd row in the back! Obviously the more people you have the better as the further away you are to fit them all in the smaller proportionally the gap between them compared to the focal distance.

Loup Garou
6th February 2016, 01:38 PM
I took a group photo recently with an uwa .

Yes, but which particular UWA lens? The Olympus 7-14mm f2.8?

Beagletorque
6th February 2016, 09:36 PM
The Nikon 14-24 on FF, but the same optical problem exists! The Oly 7-14mm is very, very good optically. I did post up some results with it when I first used it, some where in the lens thread....