PDA

View Full Version : Which magazine

Mdb2
2nd February 2016, 08:06 AM
Hi all, no pun intended with the title. This may of been done before but here goes.

1 Which magazine contains the most articles about M4/3.
2 which magazine do you read if at all.
3 I would make this into a voting for the the best mag but I would not know how so feel free if you wish to go down that road?
Kind regards mike

mstphoto
2nd February 2016, 08:18 AM
I subscribe to Digital Photo and Practical Photography.
I enjoy the video tutorials in DP but just about to cancel my PP subscription.
I think after a while all magazines start to repeat themselves.

I think DP gives mirrorless a fair crack of the whip considering Canon & Nikon's domination in the market.

Shaw
2nd February 2016, 08:47 AM
I also subscribe to Digital Photo, and as mstphoto suggests, the video tutorials are pretty good.

Bikie John
2nd February 2016, 09:01 AM
The only one I read at all regularly is Black & White Photography. There is not much about cameras - they review one a month and usually miss the point, as do all reviewers in all mags. There is also not much about technique - Lee Frost does a regular slot to cover the basics, which can get repetitive after a while, and there are occasional interesting bits about alternative processing and so on. But really the mag is about photography, and they interview or feature some very interesting people.

The subscriber edition is specially nice because the only writing on the cover is the magazine title. Much better than the newsstand edition which has all the teasers for the articles inside which clutters it up.

John

Imageryone
2nd February 2016, 09:35 AM
I stick to the R.P.S. Magazine, it mostly photography and not gear.

Mdb2
2nd February 2016, 10:02 AM
I myself have outdoor photographer which is a annual sub from my brother on my birthday. I occasionally buy the weekly amateur photographer but only if I browse the articles and find it interesting. I did subscribe to photoplus (canon) for a few years from Edition one but they do get repetitive.
Kind regards mike.

Ross the fiddler
2nd February 2016, 10:29 AM
Well, since you asked, I still subscribe to Australian Photography Magazine & there is an article on the PEN-F in it (Be Warned, it is a raaatheeerr large link address though but quite safe). http://www.australianphotography.com/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter%20-%20How%20to%20shoot%20stunning%20wildlife%20images %20Solve%20your%20image%20storage%20problems%20Mir rorless%20camera%20makers%20get%20nostalgic%20Ente r%20the%20January%20photo%20comp%20%20reflections% 20-%2028th%20January%202016&utm_content=Newsletter%20-%20How%20to%20shoot%20stunning%20wildlife%20images %20Solve%20your%20image%20storage%20problems%20Mir rorless%20camera%20makers%20get%20nostalgic%20Ente r%20the%20January%20photo%20comp%20%20reflections% 20-%2028th%20January%202016+CID_30cb81d0a8a9e38c0c512 8823efe5349&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=Photo%20Group%20Logo

Here is the link for the PEN-F small segment. http://www.australianphotography.com/news/olympus-unveils-retro-pen-f

I used to subscribe to a few British magazines & that reduced back to one until I realised all I was doing was filling my bookshelves, so I only buy the odd one at the newsagent (apart from the Aussie subscription that I keep going) if there was something interesting in it worth the cost of the magazine after browsing through them first.

Bikie John
2nd February 2016, 10:30 AM
B&W mag is from the same publisher as Outdoor Photography - GMC Publications in Lewes.

John

Ian
2nd February 2016, 11:12 AM
I have to put a word in for Amateur Photographer and What Digital Camera, both of which I regularly write for :)

Ian

OM USer
2nd February 2016, 11:41 AM
I buy AP when there is a review of a camera I am interested in (i.e. Olympus, but I might consider something on a Panasonic body if I felt I wanted a comparison e.g. GM1/GM5 replacement).

Ross the fiddler
2nd February 2016, 12:05 PM
I have to put a word in for Amateur Photographer and What Digital Camera, both of which I regularly write for :)

Ian

I do like to look out for those two on our Aussie sales display shelves. *yes

Zedex10r
2nd February 2016, 04:42 PM
I had a subscription as a gift to Digital Camera but cancelled it after myfavouritemagazines.co.uk did not keep their offer price at renewal time they are an asbsolute joke and I will never subscribe to any titles they represent. As for mirrorless content I find Amateur Photographer the best and most unbiased. All the other titles just seem to think everyone needs to go full frame.

Beagletorque
2nd February 2016, 05:31 PM
With so much digital content online there seems little point to buying a mag, unless you have to have it on paper for some reason.

Ralph Harwood
2nd February 2016, 09:03 PM
The only magazine I buy is AP - I've bought it for a couple of years now but it does seem to be beginning to get repetative. The reviewing does seem pretty fair and impartial, and I enjoy looking at the competition photos, although I do sometimes wonder about the positionings.

Overall I think I have learnt far more from the posts on here about photography, but AP beats reading a newspaper on my lunch break in work.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Mdb2
2nd February 2016, 11:08 PM
With so much digital content online there seems little point to buying a mag, unless you have to have it on paper for some reason.

yes I am afraid I do prefer to have a physical copy to read, when it comes to magazines. I feel I am getting something for my money. I do however like to read online as well.

I am currently setting up my own website.
Kind regards mike

Wee man
2nd February 2016, 11:31 PM
Yes I like picking up a hard copy to read, my Nexus 7 screen does not do photo magazines illustrations justice due to size. I do use it for reading books and it is extremely good for that.

yorky
3rd February 2016, 09:48 AM
I subscribe to A.P and Digital camera but they get very repetative, still it is good to read the reviews etc..

Mdb2
3rd February 2016, 06:08 PM
Reviews aside it would be nice to see more articles on M4/3.
Kind regards Mike

MarkG
9th February 2016, 02:05 PM
Sorry thought this was about Which? Magazine. At the end of the magazine is a summary of different products.

Under digital SLR cameras they have the OMD-EM5 Mark ii as a Best Buy at 1,449 with weight 912g.

But under Compact System Cameras they have OMD-EM1 as a Best Buy at 1,079 with weight 762g.

The reviews are odd too
OMD-EM5-Mkii. "Traditional SLR styling but lighter, takes great photo and video"
OMD-EM1 "good but complex controls, wi-fi. Poor low light video"

the actual body weights with battery and memory card are 469g and 497g, so I guess they have tested EM5-mkii with the 12-40 pro lens, and EM1 with the lighter 12-50 lens?

Mdb2
9th February 2016, 10:59 PM
Hi Mark Yes that sounds about right. Shows how investigative and thorough they are.
Kind regards mike

benvendetta
10th February 2016, 07:04 AM

I totally agree with this. The only time a buy magazines is when I go to the Photography Show at the NEC. Anyway, one of the best ways to learn photography is to get out there and take pictures................

benvendetta
10th February 2016, 07:05 AM

I totally agree with this. The only time I buy magazines is when I go to the Photography Show at the NEC. Anyway, one of the best ways to learn photography is to get out there and take pictures................

Mdb2
11th February 2016, 06:32 PM
Hi benvendetta, practice practice practice.
Kind regards Mike

olbond
6th March 2016, 09:58 PM
Digital Photo is my fave!

Mdb2
6th March 2016, 10:53 PM
Thanks olbond
mike