PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Airshow heads-up

Wally
28th January 2016, 09:36 AM
US Air Force F-35s To Star At UK Air Shows

Two US Air Force jets are coming to Britain this summer to take part in two air shows - two years after they were first expected.

The Lockheed F-35A - also called the Lightning II jets - will accompany two US Marine Corps jets and at least one British jet at the shows.

The planes were due to appear at the shows two years ago for their international premiere but a fire in one of the jet's engines led to the entire fleet being grounded.

The F-35s will be on display on the ground at the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in the Cotswolds and the world's biggest air show in Farnborough, Surrey, both held in July.

One of the jets will take part in "heritage flights" featuring vintage war planes at both events.

"We're very excited about demonstrating this capability to the world," Air Force Chief of Staff, General Mark Welsh, said in a statement. "The F-35 represents a new way of thinking about data integration, weapons and tactics."

Lockheed and its partners are developing three models of the jet.

News of the planes' participation at the shows comes after the Civil Aviation Authority - Britain's air watchdog - unveiled new safety measures following last year's disaster at the Shoreham Airshow in Hampshire in which a Hawker Hunter jet crashed onto the A27 killing 11 people.

The CAA says every air show will be subject to an enhanced risk assessment, ex-military jets operating over land can perform fly-pasts only - they cannot perform aerobatics.
All Hawker Hunter aircraft remain grounded pending the discovery of what caused the crash.

The Shoreham Airshow itself has been cancelled this year.

Phill D
29th January 2016, 05:28 AM
Yes I saw that too Wally. Now I'm really glad I bought the 40-150 pro :)