PDA

View Full Version : Having a good moan

snaarman
27th January 2016, 11:59 AM
Isn't it great being grumpy..

I was inspired to have a good old grump last night on my occasional photo blog

http://snaarman.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/dont-understand-2.html

Anyone else here being grumpy for the benefit of mankind?

Pete

Otto
27th January 2016, 12:19 PM
I'm grumpy for my own benefit :). I learned long ago that there's no point in taking any notice of fashion. If you're never in it you'll never be out of date. Or pocket. I'll head back under my stone now.
*chr

snaarman
27th January 2016, 04:44 PM
I'm just waiting for grumpy to be fashionable. That would cheer me up...

P

Otto
27th January 2016, 05:04 PM
I think you're already too late. "Grumpy Old Men" is no longer on the telly ..

Ralph Harwood
27th January 2016, 06:24 PM
Hi there Pete!

As soon as I found out about the "hipster beard" I immediately went out and bought a new razor - just in case I was suspected of trying to grow one with my days stubble. Turns out I was just ahead of the game!

Cheers,

Ralph.

Homer Simpson
27th January 2016, 06:54 PM
As Oly users we are almost self selecting as not being "with it".

We don't worry about fashionable labels as we know it's all advertising hype.

We do know good when we see it though.

I have made being grumpy a vocation l am proud of.

Imageryone
27th January 2016, 07:17 PM
Having had a beard since age 17, I feel I am always in or out of fashion all the time, so doesn't effect me at all :D:D:D

shenstone
27th January 2016, 08:19 PM
well done for the grumpiness. I pop into your blog quite often for a dose of "reality"

It really cheers me up

Regards
Andy

Ross the fiddler
27th January 2016, 09:26 PM
I don't give a rats razoo what people think of my beard. It certainly beats shaving every day & if I happen to spill any food in it there will be some left for Ron, later on. :p :D

I do get really grumpy when I go shopping in our local town & unthinking or totally selfish morons take up two car spaces. :mad:

Anyhow, havagoodwun. *chr

Homer Simpson
27th January 2016, 09:58 PM
well done for the grumpiness. I pop into your blog quite often for a dose of "reality"

It really cheers me up

Regards
Andy

Me to. *yes:D

Harold Gough
28th January 2016, 08:23 AM
Being grumpy is becoming trendy! :D

Harold

Crazy Dave
28th January 2016, 09:14 AM
Some people say grumpy when in fact they mean experience coupled with wisdom. I rest my case.

David

Harold Gough
28th January 2016, 09:30 AM
Some people say grumpy when in fact they mean experience coupled with wisdom. I rest my case.

David

You mean, the opposite of second marriage?

Harold

Crazy Dave
28th January 2016, 09:54 AM
You mean, the opposite of second marriage?

Harold

Precisely!

David

drmarkf
28th January 2016, 09:59 AM

I'm a bit worried the new PenF may be a triumph of fashion over function. I'm waiting for the rush of aftermarket woven orax leather wrist straps, 250 hand-tooled beaver cases, and iroko shutter buttons.

They'll be doing a special at the Oly stall at the Photography Show: free hipster beard trims ;)

Graham_of_Rainham
28th January 2016, 10:15 AM
...woven orax leather wrist straps, 250 hand-tooled beaver cases,

Quite what "Trade" shows have you been going to. :eek:

Ross the fiddler
28th January 2016, 11:42 AM
Quite what "Trade" shows have you been going to. :eek:

Bondage? :rolleyes: ;)

snaarman
28th January 2016, 11:57 AM
woven orax leather wrist straps, 250 hand-tooled beaver cases

Well, that's another Google search I can never remove from my record.

You can imagine what my targeted browser adverts look like now. Grrr.

drmarkf
28th January 2016, 12:30 PM
I've made sure I've got my full value while a member of the Fuji community...

I'm really not making some of this pimping stuff up (well, only minor exaggeration) - for the Fuji X100 series:

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/fujifilm_x100t_thumbrest_silver_w_softrelease.php? __utma=1.579553023.1453983957.1453983957.145398395 7.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1453983957&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1453983957.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(di rect)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=36262176

http://www.leicatime.com/a000-CasesFujiFinepixX100.X10.htm

http://www.tapanddye.com/products/l-e-g-a-c-y-leather-camera-wrist-strap-horween-chromexcel-hand-stitched

Soft Shutter Release Button of aluminium: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51V6vATsuML.@@AMEPARAM@@51V6vATsuML

[That shutter release is actually zebrawood not aluminium]

David M
28th January 2016, 12:58 PM
I'm a bit worried the new PenF may be a triumph of fashion over function. I'm waiting for the rush of aftermarket woven orax leather wrist straps, 250 hand-tooled beaver cases, and iroko shutter buttons.

They'll be doing a special at the Oly stall at the Photography Show: free hipster beard trims ;)

My thoughts exactly, a fashion accessory rather than a tool. I'm wonder how long before the limited edition lenses with gold trim appear.

Edit. I forgot the diamond studded focus ring on the lenses with gold trim. Maybe we should start a thread to see who can come up with the most 'tasteful' accessory for the new Pen.

Beagletorque
28th January 2016, 01:19 PM
"Best Badger", is there another sort?

byegad
28th January 2016, 02:59 PM
After moe than 60 years of practice I'm very nearly qualified to be a grumpy old Git!

Nice to know all that work will not go to waste.

Wee man
28th January 2016, 03:08 PM
Were is Grumpy Hec when you need him most?

Naughty Nigel
28th January 2016, 03:11 PM

We do know good when we see it though.

I have made being grumpy a vocation l am proud of.

I was recently told that Olympus (specifically 43) is now a trendy in much the same way as Apple products are supposed to be. :rolleyes:

If true I will have to reconsider the contents of my photographic stable, otherwise this could become a slippery slope to even worse things; such as Audi ownership. :(

snaarman
28th January 2016, 03:39 PM
I was recently told that Olympus (specifically 43) is now a trendy in much the same way as Apple products are supposed to be. :rolleyes:

If true I will have to reconsider the contents of my photographic stable, otherwise this could become a slippery slope to even worse things; such as Audi ownership. :(

Oh dear. That is a worry:

I chose Olympus because it is unusual and isn't Canon or Nikon, I chose Subaru because they are quite rare compared with Audi, and I chose Android mainly because it isn't Apple. Oh, and I don't have a Hipster beard.

Pete

Naughty Nigel
28th January 2016, 03:59 PM
Oh dear. That is a worry:

I chose Olympus because it is unusual and isn't Canon or Nikon, I chose Subaru because they are quite rare compared with Audi, and I chose Android mainly because it isn't Apple. Oh, and I don't have a Hipster beard.

Pete

Pleased to hear it. But for how long will Olympus remain 'unusual' and unconventional? :(

After all, it is the role of every Marquetry department to make it's companies products mainstream, however quirky they may be.* :rolleyes:

* I meant to say Marketing, but Marquetry (i.e. covering a thick plank with an attractive veneer) seemed to fit better! :D

Otto
30th January 2016, 09:51 AM
I chose Olympus because it is unusual and isn't Canon or Nikon, I chose Subaru because they are quite rare compared with Audi, and I chose Android mainly because it isn't Apple.

I'm afraid I have an iPhone, but in my defence I used to drive Saabs because they're not Mercedes or BMWs. I had five in a row until GM pulled the plug. Now I have an Alfa Romeo because it's not a Golf or an A3.

I chose Olympus originally in the form of an OM-10 because of the ability to add a manual adapter, plus I preferred the look and handling over the Canikax competition. I'd aspired to an OM-2 but it was well outside my price range at that time. Within a year the price had dropped to about what I'd paid for my OM-10 and my friends were buying new OM-10s for 2/3 of what I'd paid. Story of my life really!

shenstone
30th January 2016, 12:15 PM
How's about 28 year old Land Rover Ambulance, 16 year old Classic Mini Cooper and Windows Phone 7.8 for my claim on the "unusual and unconventional" I also think still using those "old fangled" macro 4/3 is getting a bit more unconventional

The clutch and bodywork needs sorting on the Mini, The Roof is leaking on the Land Rover and my phone's on its way out so I foresee some expense coming this year, and therefore I will also make a claim on reasons I can have a good moan as well

Still thanks for all sharing your views. it's nice to know i'm talking to like minded people

*chr

Naughty Nigel
30th January 2016, 12:19 PM
I'm afraid I have an iPhone...

That shows a distinct lack of imagination on your part Otto. :)

Now I have an Alfa Romeo because it's not a Golf or an A3.

At least driving an Alfa you have the added interest and unpredictability of actually getting home. :D

I daresay Alfa's are as boringly reliable as everything else nowadays, but many years ago I rode a Ducati V-Twin. It was an amazing machine which was exceptionally quick and went round corners as if it was on rails. And it had character, which few Japanese bikes have ever had. However, I soon learned to take the bus fare home with me - just in case it rained. :D

David M
30th January 2016, 04:45 PM
I daresay Alfa's are as boringly reliable as everything else nowadays, but many years ago I rode a Ducati V-Twin. It was an amazing machine which was exceptionally quick and went round corners as if it was on rails. And it had character, which few Japanese bikes have ever had. However, I soon learned to take the bus fare home with me - just in case it rained. :D

One trick was too replace the handlebar switches with water resistant ones. IIRC a Kawasaki model matched the switch layout.

Naughty Nigel
30th January 2016, 05:29 PM
One trick was too replace the handlebar switches with water resistant ones. IIRC a Kawasaki model matched the switch layout.

That solved some of the problems, but the ignition system still didn't like rain.

Italians and electricity are a dangerous mix! :D

David M
30th January 2016, 05:46 PM
That solved some of the problems, but the ignition system still didn't like rain.

Italians and electricity are a dangerous mix! :d

Some of the 4 cylinder Honda models from that era weren't much better. I remember having to repeatedly wait for a friend as he sprayed WD40 on the ignition coils.

Naughty Nigel
30th January 2016, 06:01 PM
Some of the 4 cylinder Honda models from that era weren't much better. I remember having to repeatedly wait for a friend as he sprayed WD40 on the ignition coils.

Ahh yes. I can remember a neighbour spraying WD40 onto the ignition coil of his Vauxhall Corsa, hoping he might be able to limp to the dealer to get a new one fitted.

However, the engine was running at the time, (only on two or three cylinders), but the act of spraying the highly flammable propane/butane and solvent mix onto the faulty ignition coil was enough to turn his can of WD40 into a flame thrower! :eek:

Wee man
30th January 2016, 06:58 PM
Another Olympus owner who looked at. C.... And N...... But there was just something about the whole Olympus thing that seemed right, when digital came along I just carried on. The only blip was after the E5 and 4/3 was left out in the cold. An invite to the OMD EM1 launch at Castle Leslie convinced me to stay. I still get the question what type of camera do you use, but not so many strange looks when I say Olympus!
I drive a Terios and have an Android phone and tablet. Seems there are a lot of like minded people in the E Group camp.

snaarman
30th January 2016, 07:00 PM
They say you are not a true petrol head until you have owned an Alfa.

Well, I confess I have owned five of the things...

Harold Gough
30th January 2016, 07:38 PM
this could become a slippery slope to even worse things; such as Audi ownership. :(

I owned an Audi in the 70s. The dealer could never set the ignition timing right: I had to do it myself.

One day the engine mounts broke and let it drop though my expensive, stainless steel exhaust pipe. The AA rescue arrived. "G'day mate!" "G'day yourself. My engine has just headed for your homeland"

I now own a Peugeot. Hmmm, any good Audi's for sale?

Harold

Harold Gough
30th January 2016, 07:39 PM

Yes, I have the A7R!

Harold

Otto
31st January 2016, 09:56 AM

Well, I confess I have owned five of the things...

You must've had good service from them then :). I always wanted one but was put off by the reputation, but as of last Thursday I'm on my second. The first, a 2011 Giulietta diesel, didn't cost me a bean in the two years and 17k miles I owned it, apart from diesel and a couple of tyres. A couple of minor issues were fixed under warranty. I'm hoping this new one (petrol) will be just as good ... *yes. Alfa dealers it seems have a pretty poor reputation but my local one, Piccadilly Motors in Knaresborough, cannot be faulted.

Before I bought my (second hand) iPhone I'd watched several friends battling with a variety of Android phones. I already had an iPod Touch so was familiar with iOS and knew that "it just works". My sister has an Android tablet and I can't get my head round that at all. I don't intend "upgrading" my iPhone due to the change of connector, until I absolutely have to, but I'd never pay the new price for one.

Naughty Nigel
31st January 2016, 08:03 PM
Hmmm, any good Audi's for sale?

Good Audi's? Isn't that an oxymoron? :D

ringneck
31st January 2016, 09:03 PM

Italians and electricity are a dangerous mix! :D

Had a Renault 11 and had to replace almost everything.....about 4 started Motors....but the on going problem in the wet was the build up on condensation in the Distributor Cap.
At 1st I took into Renault and they said they knew what it was and messed around with the Carb.That was on a Friday and it was just the same over the weekend so after it had dried out i was on their doorstep on Monday....showed them their invoice and told them the problem again and returned at lunch time hoping to drive away.They hadnt even started it and said didnt understand the problem.They messed around again and charged me even more but I refused to pay again until they refunded me for Fridays bill.....they refused and kept my key so I asked to see the top bloke and sat myself in his office and refused to move......he gave me vouchers for petrol for more than the refund.At one time he was going to call the Police so I said I would do it for him.
Still not fixed but I later found out the reason myself and had to keep a screwdriver and spare screws in the car in case of rain.

Now thats wheat you call having a good moan.

Willom
31st January 2016, 09:56 PM
I'm just waiting for grumpy to be fashionable. That would cheer me up...

P
I'm not sure I believe you, I think it would give you more reason to complain. I certainly couldn't think of much that could be worse.

Nigel, wouldnt the marquetry department be in charge of putting tiger wood buttons on cameras?

I too own android devices but that is far too mainstream for me and am looking for a way out (Cyanogenmod here I come). The last car I officially owned was a Triumph Vitesse Six (the modern Pug is registered in my partner's name).

Where would we go if Olympus became fashionable? I hardly dare to admit this but I've long held a secret desire for Pentax. Perhaps giving up photography for something less fashionable would be an option.

Will

Naughty Nigel
31st January 2016, 10:19 PM
Had a Renault 11 and had to replace almost everything.....about 4 started Motors....but the on going problem in the wet was the build up on condensation in the Distributor Cap.
At 1st I took into Renault and they said they knew what it was and messed around with the Carb.That was on a Friday and it was just the same over the weekend so after it had dried out i was on their doorstep on Monday....showed them their invoice and told them the problem again and returned at lunch time hoping to drive away.They hadnt even started it and said didnt understand the problem.They messed around again and charged me even more but I refused to pay again until they refunded me for Fridays bill.....they refused and kept my key so I asked to see the top bloke and sat myself in his office and refused to move......he gave me vouchers for petrol for more than the refund.At one time he was going to call the Police so I said I would do it for him.
Still not fixed but I later found out the reason myself and had to keep a screwdriver and spare screws in the car in case of rain.

Now thats wheat you call having a good moan.

Good on you Ringneck! *yes

About twenty years ago I had a 2.0 litre Cavalier which developed a noisy alternator bearing. I work in engineering and I knew exactly what the problem was; but didn't have the time or facilities to fix it myself so I took it to our local Vauxhall main dealer.

I explained the situation to the Service Reception staff and walked to the bus stop.

No sooner had I stepped on the bus home I received a phone call from the dealer informing me that the noise was not from the alternator but from one of the cambelt tensioners. Accordingly they recommended a new cambelt and tensioners at a cost of about 250.

I was surprised but gave them the go ahead to replace the cambelt all the same. The bus journey home takes about forty minutes, but before I had stepped off the bus I had another call, this time informing me that the water pump bearings were also noisy, and should be replaced,; with dire warnings that if the water pump bearings fail the engine will be destroyed.

That wasn't the end of it though. I had yet another call advising that something else should be replaced, (I cannot remember what now), but the dealer clearly had a lot of stock in their parts bins that needed to be used up. Indeed, about the only thing they didn't replace was the alternator!

Anyhow, I made my way back to the garage that same evening, paid nearly 500 for the work that had been done, and went to start the car - only to be greeted by the same rasping noise that I had taken it in with in the morning!

I marched back into Service Reception, which was closing by this time, and demanded to know what the h*** they had been doing with the car all day. The receptionist found their Chief Mechanic who was about to go home and asked him to take a look. Within two minutes he announced that the alternator had a noisy bearing, and confirmed this by starting the engine with the fan belt removed!

I was given a full refund there and then, and the keys to a courtesy car for the evening. The alternator was duly replaced and the noise went away!

But why do these people never listen to their customers, especially when it is clear they know what they are talking about! :mad:

Naughty Nigel
31st January 2016, 10:30 PM
Nigel, wouldnt the marquetry department be in charge of putting tiger wood buttons on cameras?

Probably, although tiger wood shutter buttons are more useful than most marquetry departments that I have had the pleasure to work with. :rolleyes:

The last car I officially owned was a Triumph Vitesse Six.

Ohh yes. Good choice. :D

The Vitesse weighed next to nothing. The six cylinder variant went like stink and had a gorgeous engine note. I also remember they would go up the side of a house in top gear, such was the torque and power to weight ratio.

It was just a shame the chassis seemed to suffer unusually badly from metal worm. :(

ringneck
31st January 2016, 10:53 PM
Nice one Nigel...sure they try it on with everyone......I know for certain Honda fleeced me....like you I didnt have time to do anything and suddenly a long list of stuff needed replacing.

I also had another run in with the afore mentioned Renault dealer - this time they said it needed front discs and I purchased some NEW ones from them after having no luck finding any at a scrap yard. When I took it back for the re-test it passed but they put one of those lists advising things that I need to keep an eye on....and on the lists was Rusty Discs - this made my almost drag the showroom manager over to one of those 80's sports cars they had (with engine at back) and asked him to inspect the discs (think they call them ventilated ).Guess what they were rusty...on a new car that was indoors.....they used to love it when I visited them....:rolleyes:

shenstone
1st February 2016, 09:55 AM
Set grumpiness factor to max

never mind those Alfa's I think all cars have got it in for me this week

.. had the Suzuki worked on last week because of an Oil leak, the crankshaft oil seal was leaking, whilst they had the gearbox off they advised a new clutch and a couple of other things so for a 30 part it cost me 700 in parts and labour :eek:

Got it back Friday, by yesterday I could tell the leak was 10 x worse than it was when they started :mad: :mad:

so I tried to start the Land Rover, Battery dead.. OK it's charged now so I stated to relax... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Then. the Mrs has just called from the side of the M4 ... the clutch has gone in the mini, engine running fine, but nothing getting to the wheels. Breakdown truck on the way so if you see a Red Classic Mini Cooper on the side of Junction 30 please wave and smile *wave *wave *wave *wave

You may just cheer up someone who needs it

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2016, 10:48 AM
Nice one Nigel...sure they try it on with everyone......I know for certain Honda fleeced me....like you I didnt have time to do anything and suddenly a long list of stuff needed replacing.

I also had another run in with the afore mentioned Renault dealer - this time they said it needed front discs and I purchased some NEW ones from them after having no luck finding any at a scrap yard. When I took it back for the re-test it passed but they put one of those lists advising things that I need to keep an eye on....and on the lists was Rusty Discs - this made my almost drag the showroom manager over to one of those 80's sports cars they had (with engine at back) and asked him to inspect the discs (think they call them ventilated ).Guess what they were rusty...on a new car that was indoors.....they used to love it when I visited them....:rolleyes:

Brake disks seem to be a favourite of main dealers. I often wonder if they have sales targets for the wretched things. :rolleyes:

Two years ago my wife took her Astra to the main dealer above for service and "half price MOT". Predictably enough I received a phone call from a girlie in Service Reception advising that the rear disks were badly worn and corroded, and should be replaced.

I gave them the go ahead to replace the brake disks but said the work should be done under guarantee as they had been replaced just under a year and 6,000 miles ago.

Ten minutes later I received another phone call; this time from the Service Manager giving me some bull5hit about how disks wear more quickly if the car isn't driven regularly. He also promised to email me photographs of the disks which I still haven't seen!

Anyhow, I said that I didn't want any more Vauxhall brake disks fitted as they were clearly crap, and that was the end of that. I examined the disks myself when my wife came home and they looked fine; indeed, they are still on the car now! *yes

Last year I tried a new strategy where I took my Jag to the Vauxhall dealer for MOT, and took the Astra to Stratsones, working on the theory that neither main dealer would have parts bins full of other manufacturer's brake or suspension parts to use up. I also felt that if either car failed its MOT it would be for good reason.

This strategy worked well until recently when the Astra went to Stratsones for MOT, and failed on a corroded brake pipe. This was repaired for a very fair price but then a brake bleed nipple snapped off, so I was lent a brand new XE demonstrator for the night whilst parts were ordered.

Whether by accident or design this led to yet another very slippery slope of spending and a new XF on the drive. *ohwell

You just cannot win! :o

Otto
1st February 2016, 11:09 AM
I'm always suspicious of "cut price MOTs" offered by places that have the facilities to effect repairs. Call me a cynic if you like :). As for brake discs I've been told by a local garage that I trust that they do indeed corrode more quickly if the car is left standing. My last Saab needed new front and rear discs because of pitting - no doubt they were out of the Vauxhall parts bin as the 9-5 had a fair bit of GM content ...

Harold Gough
1st February 2016, 11:24 AM
On the subject of water and electrics, also of Cavaliers, my 25+ year old 1,660 mk 2 (1984) developed some hesitancy in the starter motor function. My local mechanic found it was "full of water and rusty inside". I got a refurbished one fitted, which was still working when the car reached its 30th (registration) birthday.

My wife's Corsa recently suffered a dead battery, and I had RAC battery replacement cover, saving me 90. Anyway, when chatting, the RAC mechanic said he couldn't recall being called out to a Cavalier. In fact I did call them out once, The distributor cap disintegrated when I turned the ignition key. To cut a long story short, there was a cap in the RAC van but it was so ancient that he couldn't find a price to charge me so I got a freebie.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2016, 11:29 AM
I'm always suspicious of "cut price MOTs" offered by places that have the facilities to effect repairs. Call me a cynic if you like :). As for brake discs I've been told by a local garage that I trust that they do indeed corrode more quickly if the car is left standing. My last Saab needed new front and rear discs because of pitting - no doubt they were out of the Vauxhall parts bin as the 9-5 had a fair bit of GM content ...

They don't offer half price MOT's for nothing!

You are correct that occasional use of cars does result in corrosion and deep pitting of brake disks. This in turn destroys the disks' surface layer reducing brake performance. However, my wife's car was used at least five days every week so the disks rarely became rusty.

For interest, the thing that really damages disks is holding brakes on hard when stationary after stopping from high speed. The combination of high temperature and close proximity of the brake pads under pressure causes a reaction between the steel disk and the friction material. This results in local embrittlement of the disks' surfaces and increased the risk of corrosion. The resulting breakdown of the disks' surfaces often causes vibration and 'throbbing' when braking hard.

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2016, 11:45 AM
On the subject of water and electrics, also of Cavaliers, my 25+ year old 1,660 mk 2 (1984) developed some hesitancy in the starter motor function. My local mechanic found it was "full of water and rusty inside". I got a refurbished one fitted, which was still working when the car reached its 30th (registration) birthday.

My wife's Corsa recently suffered a dead battery, and I had RAC battery replacement cover, saving me 90. Anyway, when chatting, the RAC mechanic said he couldn't recall being called out to a Cavalier. In fact I did call them out once, The distributor cap disintegrated when I turned the ignition key. To cut a long story short, there was a cap in the RAC van but it was so ancient that he couldn't find a price to charge me so I got a freebie.

Harold

The Cavaliers were very reliable. They had to be as most were hacked up and down motorways every day by sales reps and the like covering huge distances.

By contrast I recall overhearing a conversation between an AA Patrolman and a rather stuck up lady whose BMW which had broken down at a motorway service station. The lady BMW driver said "I don't suppose you see many of these broken down, do you?" to which the Patrolman replied, "without BMW and Volkswagen I would be out of a job madam". The expression on her face was priceless. :D

Otto
1st February 2016, 01:23 PM
Interesting point Nigel. I think I usually feather the brakes as the car comes to a halt rather than keeping my foot firmly down, but I'll check next time I go out. However now I'm back to an automatic it means remembering to flip into N when I'm stationary - which is probably good practice anyway.

drmarkf
1st February 2016, 02:42 PM
Reading this thread is making me feel a lot less grumpy...

Graham_of_Rainham
1st February 2016, 02:57 PM
Reading this thread is making me feel a lot less grumpy...

Having read the thread, I now know I have nothing to be "grumpy" about.

*chr

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2016, 03:10 PM
Interesting point Nigel. I think I usually feather the brakes as the car comes to a halt rather than keeping my foot firmly down, but I'll check next time I go out. However now I'm back to an automatic it means remembering to flip into N when I'm stationary - which is probably good practice anyway.

The problem (with disk brakes) is of holding the brakes on hard after an emergency stop from high speed. Light pressure on the pedal to stop the car from rolling should not do any damage, but heavy pressure when the disks are hot will damage them.

As you say it is always good practice to come to a halt on a 'rising brake', thereby avoiding that horrible jolt as the car lurches backwards when it stops.

Naughty Nigel
2nd February 2016, 09:00 PM
Now I am going to have a real moan!

My wife is currently looking for a new job, and so has been trying to deal with numerous employment agencies; all of which behave like sharks.

Even when she has attended interviews arranged by one agency she has received calls and emails from other agencies concerning the same job, clearly trying to 'poach' her business from the first agency.

She went for an interview in December, but before she could do this she was asked to visit the agency's office in Newcastle (at her own cost) where she filled in numerous forms, provided ID, a copy of her passport, driving licence and so forth. Why? :confused: Surely it is the employer who needs this information?

Obtaining information since the interview has proved nigh on impossible, until my wife received a phone call on Friday asking if she was still interested in the job. She had two other job offers so she said she would let them know, but received calls on the hour every hour asking for a decision. :(

Anyhow, my wife called the agency on Monday morning saying that she would accept the job, and asked when she could start? She then received an email asking for copies of exactly the same information that she had already provided in Newcastle, apologising that (I quote) "we did scan the information but it was not filed on our systems". (In other words, they had lost it.) :mad:

I have told her to send the agency a bill for wasted time, but the agency has said they 'cannot progress the application without the requested information.' :mad:

I have dealt with many incompetent imbeciles and shysters in my time but these people really take the biscuit. These people seem to prey on job seekers rather like estate agents do with house-hunters; except they are selling jobs rather than houses. :mad:

Willom
7th February 2016, 09:40 PM
Ohh yes. Good choice. :D

The Vitesse weighed next to nothing. The six cylinder variant went like stink and had a gorgeous engine note. I also remember they would go up the side of a house in top gear, such was the torque and power to weight ratio.

It was just a shame the chassis seemed to suffer unusually badly from metal worm. :(

Those six cylinders were a revelation, I'd never driven anything so smooth. As for the sound, at about 2 o'clock one morning I was driving back from a waiting job when the silencer fell off. The sound of all six cylinders coming straight through the exhaust is something I won't forget. I doubt the residents of the two villages I drove through will either. Especially as I dropped her down to second and gave them the full range :D. It sounded like I had a merlin engine shoehorned under the bonnet. One day I'll have another. Or maybe I'll upgrade to a TR of some sort.

Yes, the metal worm was always a concern I got quite handy with filler and fibre glass although I much preffered working on the mecnicals.

I feel for you with your recruitment agent woes, they are very frustrating. The worst bit is that they seem like a law unto themselves. I have some strong views about professions with the word "agent" in the title.

Will

shenstone
8th February 2016, 01:00 PM
I drove a Vitesse for a while ( a mates, so I only got to drive when he was over the limit) and it was quite a fiesty beast, wonderful in a straight line, but twitchy on a corner which i guess was caused by the power to weight ratio

It did look nice in sportscar red (not sure in what shade)

regards
Andy

Zuiko
8th February 2016, 01:46 PM
...... 250 hand-tooled beaver cases

Surely those should be in the lingerie section rather than camera accessories? :D

Zuiko
8th February 2016, 02:02 PM

Harold

I had a distributor cap disintegrate on one of my Cavaliers; I was doing about 70mph on the A14 at the time and the sudden loss of power was quite alarming! I had three Cavaliers over a number of years and I think that was the only time any of them broke down.

Harold Gough
8th February 2016, 02:38 PM
I had a distributor cap disintegrate on one of my Cavaliers; I was doing about 70mph on the A14 at the time and the sudden loss of power was quite alarming! I had three Cavaliers over a number of years and I think that was the only time any of them broke down.

Mine was in a pub car park, just after a very nice lunch, in good company. I was able to have another drink until the RAC arrived.

It's a matter of timing and maybe of lifestyle!*chr

Harold

Naughty Nigel
8th February 2016, 05:28 PM

I think I had four Cavaliers in total; two of the Mk II's and two of the Mk III's.

The best, by far was a white Mk III 1.6 litre L, which used to do around 45 MPG on a run. But that was before catalytic converters! :(

I had a 2.0 litre GLS cavalier after that which pulled like a train but was disappointing in other ways, and not as reliable as the three 1.6 Cavaliers I had driven before.

My Mk III 1.6 L didn't have a rev counter. When it had reached about 70,000 miles I noticed that I seemed to be overtaking literally everything on the motorway doing just 70 MPH, and arrived at places rather more quickly than anyone else; although it seemed to struggle to do much more than about 90 MPH. Perhaps it was just wear and tear? :confused:

Anyhow, driving home along the A69 late one night with a work colleague I saw a Volvo traffic car ahead, but confident that I was only doing 70 MPH I overtook it. The Volvo sped up, and a mile or so later it lit up blue, and I was 'pulled'! :eek:

'Did I know what the speed limit was?' Yes Officer, 70 MPH.

'Did I have any idea what speed I was doing?' Yes Officer, I was doing 70 MPH!

Apparently not; I had been doing 96 MPH, and I was 'seriously nicked'. :mad:

After some discussion I managed to persuade the officer that I had no idea that the speedometer was faulty, and he agreed to drive at 70 MPH so I could check the calibration. It turned out that at a true 70 MPH the speedometer was only reading 52 MPH, so it wasn't even consistent. :(

I had a new speedometer fitted, and then three years later traded the car in at the same main dealer with about 45,000 miles on the new clock (i.e. 115,000 miles total). The dealer knew about the new speedometer but didn't seem interested in the true mileage so I thought that was the end of the story.

Anyhow, one Sunday afternoon a few years later I received a phone call from a man wanting to know if I used to own a white Cavalier with the registration H162 ***. I confirmed that I did, so he then asked me if by any chance I remembered the radio code as he had left the lights on and the battery had gone flat!

As luck would have it my wife had the code in an old diary. He was relieved, but nowhere near as relieved as I was! :o

I asked him how the car was running. "OK" he said; it sometimes puffs a bit of blue smoke on the overrun, but it has done 120,000 miles! :eek:

Amazingly, he called again another year or so later asking for the radio code, but I haven't heard anything since. :D