PDA

View Full Version : The new Pen-F

Petanque
27th January 2016, 07:40 AM
Just watched the DPR interview, very impressed.
Personally I think it is a beautiful design, unfortunately likely to be out of my price range for a year or two.

pdk42
27th January 2016, 09:09 AM
It looks very nice but unless the new sensor offer significant advantages I can't see it being a better option than an E-M5ii. I agree with Ming Thein's review here (http://blog.mingthein.com/2016/01/27/review-olympus-pen-f/) that it seems very much JPEG orientated. Many of the controls will be of no use to me and I'd prefer the weather sealing of the E-M5ii. Still, each to his own. Looking forward to seeing it in London later today in any case.

Petanque
27th January 2016, 09:18 AM
Yes, you are right it is jpeg orientated. As a jpeg shooter that is the appeal for me but I take your point totally.

OM USer
27th January 2016, 05:22 PM
It looks good in the flesh, clearly the top of the range PEN. As it moves all the post processing into the camera (via the colour/mono/art dial) it is clearly aimed at the jpeg shooter - and nothing wrong with that.

The stand out thing for me was the improved thumb grip on the rear. The scuptured shape meant that I was less likely to hit the menu controls with the ball of my hand.

I did not see a manual so I'm not sure if the new mode dial (works with the front art dial) can be re-functioned.

Sadly it doesn't meet my needs but I hope that all future PENs follow the PEN-F and have a viewfinder.

pdk42
27th January 2016, 06:09 PM
I handled the new Pen F today at the launch event. Super feel to it - very solid and high quality build. Fast and responsive etc. I would be tempted if I were in the market, but I'm very happy with my E-M1 so I won't be an early customer. However, if the new sensor offers DR or noise improvements and it appears in the E-M1ii then I can see that making its way into my bag.

Petanque
27th January 2016, 06:32 PM
I handled the new Pen F today at the launch event. Super feel to it - very solid and high quality build. Fast and responsive etc. I would be tempted if I were in the market, but I'm very happy with my E-M1 so I won't be an early customer. However, if the new sensor offers DR or noise improvements and it appears in the E-M1ii then I can see that making its way into my bag.

That hands on opinion is very helpful, thanks Paul

Regards
Gary.

benvendetta
27th January 2016, 08:10 PM
I should add to Paul's comments that it is indeed a lovely camera. It even has a screw thread in the shutter release for an old style cable release. Cool or what! In the future there will even be a wooden screw in knob available.........

On the the downside, it is not weather sealed, and the fully articulated screen is not so convenient to use in landscape mode as my EM1. You have to pull it out and swivel it a la E3/E5. Once out though, it offers better portrait mode use. As it would, in theory, make a great Street camera, this is a bit of a disadvantage. It is being touted as a creative camera, hence the dial on the front. It is a camera aimed more at the jpeg user.

Body only will be 999, which is a bit steep IMO. It will come down in time though but there is not enough for me to warrant splashing the cash, gorgeous as the Pen F undoubtedly is.

There were lots of lenses to play with including the new 300mm f4. A lovely lens and very sharp even at f4. Not a lens for me though as I would find 300mm too restrictive.

The venue was a great place overlooking the Thames with good views to the City and very close to Tower Bridge, which made testing the lenses worthwhile. Even got some good night shots on my walk back to Westminster tube station before catching the train to Paddington.

By the way, it was great to meet and chat with you Paul ☺.

Loup Garou
27th January 2016, 09:13 PM
I can't see it being a better option than an E-M5ii.

I agree that it does not appear to be a better option than the EM5 II. But with 11 lenses I need a second body and this does seem something like a revival of a 1963 classic. Assuming further hands-on reviews are good, I am considering a plan in a few months of selling my original EM5 and getting the Pen-F as a companion to the EM5 MkII.

Ricoh
27th January 2016, 09:25 PM
If you're considering a second body as a companion i would recommend having two identical cameras, so in your case two EM5 MkIIs. From my experience it can be confusing when switching between systems with different button placement, menu options etc, especially in the heat of the moment when trying to get the shot.

pdk42
27th January 2016, 11:23 PM
By the way, it was great to meet and chat with you Paul ☺.

Great to meet you too Dave! I managed to get some half-decent shots of Tower Bridge on the way back - hope you got some good ones too.

pdk42
27th January 2016, 11:29 PM
I agree that it does not appear to be a better option than the EM5 II. But with 11 lenses I need a second body and this does seem something like a revival of a 1963 classic. Assuming further hands-on reviews are good, I am considering a plan in a few months of selling my original EM5 and getting the Pen-F as a companion to the EM5 MkII.

Whilst I agree with Steve (Ricoh) I suspect you could get the Pen F and E-M5ii pretty close in operation with careful setup, although you'd have to ignore the exp comp dial to keep the basic shooting controls similar. They share the same battery BTW. However, on balance I think 2 x E-M5ii is probably the better option. Except for that flippy screen the E-M5ii is a stunning camera.

benvendetta
27th January 2016, 11:41 PM
Great to meet you too Dave! I managed to get some half-decent shots of Tower Bridge on the way back - hope you got some good ones too.

Yes, I got some half decent ones too. Judging a photographic comp at a local club tomorrow night so I will get them sorted out on Friday ☺

Zuiko
28th January 2016, 12:45 AM
If you're considering a second body as a companion i would recommend having two identical cameras, so in your case two EM5 MkIIs. From my experience it can be confusing when switching between systems with different button placement, menu options etc, especially in the heat of the moment when trying to get the shot.

So when are you getting your second M240, Steve? :D *chr

mstphoto
28th January 2016, 05:51 AM
I quite like the look of this new camera.
If I didn't use an E-M10 as a second body then I could be tempted.
Especially so as Jessops are giving quite a good trade in deal for my Canon 70D (450) which hasn't seen daylight for nearly a year now.
This would take it down to a more realistic price

Mike

Loup Garou
28th January 2016, 08:13 AM
Whilst I agree with Steve (Ricoh) I suspect you could get the Pen F and E-M5ii pretty close in operation with careful setup, although you'd have to ignore the exp comp dial to keep the basic shooting controls similar. They share the same battery BTW. However, on balance I think 2 x E-M5ii is probably the better option. Except for that flippy screen the E-M5ii is a stunning camera. I can see what you guys are saying but I do think different camera set-ups with be a problem. I have always used Canons for underwater photography and occasionally used the same camera on and without a problem while still using the OMD as my regular 'dry' camera. Furthermore, I am now using the EM5 marks I and II together and despite their superficial similarity, some buttons are in different places. The on-off lever, playback button, LV (shooting menu) button etc are all in different spots. In fact, a quick check showed that back button positions are more similar between the EM5 II and the Pen F.

When I retire from diving in July, I am going to sell a lot of my old diving gear on e-bay (photographic and other). They are all in good condition despite being very used and taken together should get me some spare cash.

maccabeej
28th January 2016, 08:40 AM
If I wasn't pretty near bankrupt from GAS this year I would consider it as a replacement for my EM5, which I usually use for street pics. The rangefinder placement of the evf and the ability to shift the focus points by moving thumb on the screen while your eye is at the vf would worth it. I suspect the price will fall later this year.

Loup Garou
28th January 2016, 12:32 PM
I suspect the price will fall later this year. 849 body only by the end of June 2016 from the mainliners. *chr

drmarkf
28th January 2016, 12:39 PM
This will probably be a difficult choice against the E-M10 mkII for a street/travel/2nd body for many people.

It's also an interesting comparison with the new Fuji XPro2: they have improved that over the first version in several useful ways, but it is around 60% more expensive than the PenF and the screen still doesn't tilt - what were they thinking for a street camera????????? :eek:

Ricoh
28th January 2016, 12:49 PM
So when are you getting your second M240, Steve? :D *chr
Don't tempt me, John :D I'd love an M246 (monochrome) but my next purchase will be a 50/f1.4 when I have funds!

Proof that I'm a two system user, today I'm out shooting with my EM5 plus PL25/f1.4, no other camera, just one lens. The M240 is very good, but can't match the 5 axis Oly stabilisation - horses for courses!

Loup Garou
28th January 2016, 10:54 PM
One question I have is that whether the off-centre EVF on the Pen-F will have a corresponding parallax error of the image? I mean, if it was an optical viewfinder, its position would have created the parallax in the manner of a true rangefinder camera. But the Pen F is not a rangefinder camera and the viewfinder is electronic; so, will it show the same image as coming through the lens or on the screen?

pdk42
28th January 2016, 11:45 PM
One question I have is that whether the off-centre EVF on the Pen-F will have a corresponding parallax error of the image? I mean, if it was an optical viewfinder, its position would have created the parallax in the manner of a true rangefinder camera. But the Pen F is not a rangefinder camera and the viewfinder is electronic; so, will it show the same image as coming through the lens or on the screen?

It'll be as if someone sliced off the hump on your E-M5ii and moved it, with all its wires, 4cm to the left! The image shown would remain the same.

Ulfric M Douglas
29th January 2016, 08:19 PM
Very funny.

David M
29th January 2016, 08:45 PM
Very funny.

I was thinking I forgot parallax error in my recent photographic definitions post so,

Parallax error - the inability to parallel park while balancing a 600mm on the vehicles window sill while trying to keep a Coyote in the frame.

Paul19
29th January 2016, 10:22 PM
Stunning looking camera meeting the desires of street photographers, in camera creators and the image conscious. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a cult camera.

Loup Garou
2nd February 2016, 09:37 PM
I noted that on the silver version of the Pen-F, everything on the top plate is silver, including the hotshoe and its cover. Nice. I wonder why Olympus did not think of making sliver versions of the complimentary FL-LM3 flashgun to go with it? Would have been a nice touch IMO.

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd February 2016, 02:15 PM
I think they missed an opportunity by not including the "f" lens cap in the kits:

http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/rmt/media/consumer/pim/images_product_d_slr_accessories/LC-37_F_TL__x290.png

I can only assume that the F&R Lens Caps come as part of the lens, when in the box, otherwise there will be some comments:

PEN‑F 17mm 1:1.8 Kit

Our most extraordinary camera

This kit contains:

Camera Body (Silver)
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm 1:1.8
FL‑LM3 Flash

BLN‑1 Lithium-Ion Battery
BCN‑1 Battery Charger
Micro Four Thirds body cap (BC‑2)
Shoulder Strap
CB‑USB6 USB Cable
Olympus Viewer Software
Operating Instructions
Warranty Card

Loup Garou
3rd February 2016, 07:19 PM
Looking at the pictures of the back of the Pen-F, it looks like it has a separate, dedicated button for the "Zoom Frame AF" (aka Super Spot AF) function. In the OMD EM5s, that function had to be assigned to a button.

Apart from the convenience of having a dedicated ZF button, can it also be used to assist manual focussing with a fish eye lens such as the Samyang 7.5mm? Being able to close preview part of the frame might help in even more accurate focussing than the huge depth of field already allows.

Loup Garou
17th February 2016, 01:26 PM
Is the official release ( or more specifically "availability") date confirmed as 29th February 2016 or is this not certain as yet?

Peter_Hartland
17th February 2016, 10:49 PM
I was told when I ordered mine should be available Fromm 22 Feb in Europe with a week later rest of the world. Guy from Olympus said it was being launched in Europe first for some reason

benvendetta
17th February 2016, 11:38 PM
I was told when I ordered mine should be available Fromm 22 Feb in Europe with a week later rest of the world. Guy from Olympus said it was being launched in Europe first for some reason
Seems that people in the States already have them.............

Wee man
18th February 2016, 08:29 AM
Lovely model got a play with one when at a show over here with Damiam McGillicuddy as a speaker. Do not think one will join my stable, will get a 300 f4 or pana 100 - 400 first.

Loup Garou
21st February 2016, 04:01 PM
Wex are saying that it will not be in the UK shops till mid-March 2016 at the earliest.

benvendetta
21st February 2016, 11:35 PM
Wex are saying that it will not be in the UK shops till mid-March 2016 at the earliest.
Maybe available at the Photography Show at the NEC in March.......??