PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom Edit> really worth a look

IanB
27th January 2016, 04:26 AM
don't have time now; then bookmark the video for a wet and windy :censored: day.
last week or maybe last year I said I would love to be able to do a tut video; however there are 100s if not 1000s already out there

I really like this one. Very simple, straight forward and to the point.

As you see it's not that hard to get great results although not exactly as I would do it as there is never one way to fit all.

remember the mountain top area he wanted to fix up a bit. That's where I would is use the adjustment brush to add some clarity and maybe lighten the area a little. Clarity is a sort of sharpener IMO. I would run that same brush over much of the similars areas even though I might also erase some of the adjustments
I may also lighten the blue darkness of the waves; just a little.

And one other thing bugging in that image is that little sunlit bit land on the far RHS. go up from the water>bank>trees>and there; see it now. That would have to go. Just a little thing but I bet it's 10 times bigger now you can see it too ;).

I have purposely kept away from such videos as there is only so much we ...... me anyway, can take in and all editing tricks need practise time to become an automatic part of our editing. And there always something new to learn. Always something to do differently. I have picked up a couple things from the video myself that I will fiddle with to see if they work for me.

Don't forget to through your thoughts into the thread also; just so I know I'm not talking to myself

Otto
27th January 2016, 09:35 AM
For my taste I think he's really overdone it, the result doesn't look natural. The original certainly needed a bit of pepping up but not this much!

Dewi9
27th January 2016, 07:36 PM
Why not just set your Olympus to 'Vivid' ?

David

IanB
28th January 2016, 12:08 AM
Why not just set your Olympus to 'Vivid' ?

David Because real photographers use raw :p :)

Nothing to do with liking it or not Otto; it was just posted to shows what can be and how it can be done if someone wants go down that path.

There are more edits (landscapes) by that same person that have given me some new ideas and totally new ways.

Must admit I have found the radial tool a bit of a hand full for D+B, but then I have not fiddled around lot with it as yet. I mostly use the adjustment brush

I know many want to have their photos 'as they feel they saw it'; however I look at LR like programs as just other tools to get away from the 'boring as it was thing' but without being too over the top. Since posting the silos photo I have made another 1/2 dozen or so that all appeal in the their own way. But I like fiddling just to see.

IanB
28th January 2016, 12:14 AM
I love what and how he did it with this image; (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeFOVLzDfbY#t=3.006869) even though it's a bit overcooked for me.

Make sure you see the street lights being "turned on" at around 15>minutes *yes

drmarkf
28th January 2016, 09:27 AM
I know many want to have their photos 'as they feel they saw it';

In the case of a lot of people who say that, to my eyes they've got their brains set to 'vivid', never mind the camera :D

Otto
28th January 2016, 10:27 AM
Remember the early days of colour television when everyone turned the colour dial to max? :)

DxO Optics' Smart Lighting and Clearview functions can achieve something similar to these LR demos, increasing saturation, micro-contrast etc. and bringing out highlight and shadow detail. The results can be wonderfully OTT if you set the sliders too high but when used with care they can really lift an image.

drmarkf
28th January 2016, 01:15 PM
DxO Optics' Smart Lighting and Clearview functions can achieve something similar to these LR demos, increasing saturation, micro-contrast etc. and bringing out highlight and shadow detail. The results can be wonderfully OTT if you set the sliders too high but when used with care they can really lift an image.

Yes, Capture One 9 is also good at this with judicious use of the various forms of Clarity. There's always a few of the more subtle Nik Viveza and Color eFex filters as well.