PDA

View Full Version : Pro wedding photographer using E-M1s

drmarkf
22nd January 2016, 09:25 AM
Quite a nice article by a wedding photographer who has recently switched to mirrorless from a Canon DSLR. It usefully discusses how to maximise the practical advantages of the OMD while minimising its disadvantages, and the section on what he'd like to see in the E-M1 mkII makes a lot of sense.

I've recommended he posts a follow up in a few months time to comment on reliability because he currently doesn't have much experience, and understandably pros need kit they can depend on, and will only switch when they know they will get it.

http://christophermartinphotography.co.uk/blog/my-move-to-mirrorless-cameras-from-dslrs/

Walti
22nd January 2016, 12:59 PM
Read through that and need to go and look at the instruction manual, as I've not seen/understood what he was saying about setting up focus clusters!

Need to do some homework!

Just about got my head around everything else, will have to think about some of the other lenses available, as some of his comments around depth pf field made me think....

Naughty Nigel
22nd January 2016, 02:56 PM
Reliability is something that concerns me too.

I use my OM-D E-M5 for my day job and now carry a second body 'just in case'.

On one occasion the camera became completely unusable until I connected it to a PC, when it miraculously came back to life!

I now carry the USB cable with me everywhere as it is an 'oddball'. Why couldn't they use a standard micro USB cable like the one on my phone? :confused:

I have also had problems with the grip, which isn't as waterproof as the camera or lenses! :rolleyes:

Ulfric M Douglas
22nd January 2016, 06:39 PM
He seems a very sensible chap and I cannot disagree with anything, he obviously really USES his gear.
...and the section on what he'd like to see in the E-M1 mkII makes a lot of sense.

I copy and paste most of them here ;

What I would like to see in the EM1ís successor;

* Illuminated buttons. The EM1 has a few features i.e. live comp that make it great for nighttime and astro photography, being able to see key buttons in the dark would be great.
Yes! Even the e-620 has illuminated buttons.

* Olympus to release some fast primes, I have heard rumors this maybe in the pipeline, if so I cant wait to start using them!

* A larger battery or a grip that can house 2 batteries so that you donít have to unscrew the grip from the body to change batteries.
The grips are designed by muppets regarding access and battery types/changes.

* Dual SD cards, this isnít a must have but I think it would be a great addition. Having been used to dual cards for so long this was a big factor at first with me moving over completely to the EM1ís. My method for shooting single cards is to buy the very best quality cards possible, use large capacity cards so you donít ever have to take them out of the camera and import photos to the computer using a USB lead directly into the camera. My thought process is, there is probably more chance of a card being damaged, lost or stolen by continually swapping cards mid shoot than using a high quality single card.
Absolutely : dual cards should be in every premium model.

* More development for off camera flash, its quite limited at the moment to say the least.
Right on!

Bikie John
22nd January 2016, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the link, Mark. It will be interesting if he takes your suggestion of an update in a few months on board.

John

IanB
22nd January 2016, 10:03 PM
Reliability is something that concerns me too.

I use my OM-D E-M5 for my day job and now carry a second body 'just in case'.
every wedding photographer should ..... must have a back up (or 2) camera ready to go. It's even a clever move to use 2 cameras if possible.

Knowing what I know now I would certainly use OLy cameras, preferably the om1 for weddings. The camera side of wedding photography is so overrated IMO, however the cameras needs to be reliable and the photographer must know that gear inside out.

Just thinking about it more; with the live histogram in the v/f would make the 'little' om1 a godsend for weddings. There were those who did big $$ weddings with a Leica M6 and a couple of fixed focal lens so there is no reason the Oly could not do it also.

Christopher Martin
2nd March 2016, 08:21 AM
Hi Guys, I am Chris, the author of that blog post. I will definitley do a follow up once I have some more weddings under my belt. If there is anything in particular you would like covered, just let me know.

Cheers

Zuiko
2nd March 2016, 09:42 AM
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experiences with us. *chr

Christopher Martin
2nd March 2016, 09:49 AM
Thank you, good to be here. It was my pleasure, I am continually impressed by the EM1's to be honest both in functionality and image quality. Its not perefct but what camera is? :)

Ross the fiddler
2nd March 2016, 10:24 AM
He seems a very sensible chap and I cannot disagree with anything, he obviously really USES his gear.

I copy and paste most of them here ;

Yes! Even the e-620 has illuminated buttons.

The grips are designed by muppets regarding access and battery types/changes.

Absolutely : dual cards should be in every premium model.

Right on!

I haven't read it yet (but I will asap), but the last two items would make the camera & grip bigger bringing it closer to (or as big as) a DSLR in size. You've only got to look at the battery position in the base & SD slot at the side to see that both battery & SD slot just inside of the rear controls already take all the space for the thickness of the body. I guess it's all a compromise, whichever way you go.

Walti
2nd March 2016, 10:27 AM
I haven't read it yet, but the last two items would make the camera & grip bigger bringing it closer to (or as big as) a DSLR in size. You've only got to look at the base & SD fit to see that both battery & SD slot just inside of the rear controls already take all the space for the thickness of the body. I guess it's all a compromise, whichever way you go.

Ross,

I agree that the second card in the camera could only be done at the expense of size, putting two batteries in the grip is a no-brainer though!It's definitely big enough to do this!

OM USer
2nd March 2016, 11:30 AM
I am not a pro but I have shot weddings for hard up friends back in my OM film days, and being paranoid I always took near identical shots with two cameras. The backup camera was slung around my neck and used handheld whilst the guests were being marshalled into position and waiting for the big "click" from the tripod mounted camera - the tripod shot was always last as unfortunately wedding guests seem brainwashed into believing that as soon as you have taken a shot from the tripod they can start shuffling.

Back into the digital age and I think any pro setup needs two accessible batteries and two cards but why can't the share app, rather than being used as a controller, just sync camera and tablet/PC/networked storage with both RAW and JPEG files, putting the files directly into a folder where you have your favoutite image editing application open and automatically showing your photo on a large screen (and preserving a copy of the files at the same time)... or maybe it does now but as my E-M5 does not have WiFi I have not kept up to date with the functionality.

Ross the fiddler
2nd March 2016, 12:00 PM
Hi Guys, I am Chris, the author of that blog post. I will definitley do a follow up once I have some more weddings under my belt. If there is anything in particular you would like covered, just let me know.

Cheers

G'day Chris (from another downunder *upsided ).
It was good to read your blog of your experiences & progression through the gear you were & are using. I'm afraid I do not have experience with other brands as I chose Olympus DSLRs to start with but not sorry I have though.

I love your wedding & other photos (as much as I have seen so far). *yes

*chr

Ross the fiddler
2nd March 2016, 12:21 PM
Ross,

I agree that the second card in the camera could only be done at the expense of size, putting two batteries in the grip is a no-brainer though! It's definitely big enough to do this!

Maybe if two were stacked in-line in a cradle (or a double length battery) from the end it might be possible without increasing the size too much but not like the HLD-4 (for E3, E30 & E5 DSLRs) as it would increase the grip size significantly. I'm sure they have considered it but have likely designed it as such because of size constraints to still keep it a small enough outfit.

I find that with the battery use sequence of using the grip battery first & then the body that there is ample opportunity to change the grip battery over easily when convenient (before the body battery is used up) & each subsequent grip battery (having enough spares, should the photo shoot be that long) with the body battery acting as the standby battery between each battery change in the grip. Actually, the more I think about the idea of having a cradle to take two batteries (in-line) in the grip the more I like it. It could be as simple as having a tab to pull out for the inner battery while the outer battery could be changed basically as it is now. Anyhow, all food for thought (& maybe a point for a suggestion to Olympus).

*chr

AMc
2nd March 2016, 01:53 PM
Back into the digital age and I think any pro setup needs two accessible batteries and two cards but why can't the share app, rather than being used as a controller, just sync camera and tablet/PC/networked storage with both RAW and JPEG files, putting the files directly into a folder where you have your favoutite image editing application open and automatically showing your photo on a large screen (and preserving a copy of the files at the same time)... or maybe it does now but as my E-M5 does not have WiFi I have not kept up to date with the functionality.
FWIW some WiFi SD Cards can do what you want in any camera including your E-M5. e.g. http://www.eyefi.com/
EyeFi appears to be able to move RAW and JPEG even into the cloud for backup/sharing.

I got an 8GB Toshiba FlashAir card with my Olympus E-PL5. The camera has a menu option to start the WiFi card for transfers. I got a later 16GB card which powers up by itself in any camera and allows more complex file transfers. I now use the 8GB in my Fuji XF1 and the 16GB in the E-PL5. My EM10 has more sophisticated functions built into the camera.
FlashAirt cards are pretty cheap <£25 for a 32GB card if you're interested.

The big disadvantage with any WiFi solution is the data rates are slow and the files eps. RAW are huge :(

Graham_of_Rainham
2nd March 2016, 02:32 PM
Thank you, good to be here. It was my pleasure, I am continually impressed by the EM1's to be honest both in functionality and image quality. Its not perfect but what camera is? :)

Welcome to the Forum:

I like your style of photography and there are some very good images in the "blog".

Coming from the film age, I'm always amused by comments about wanting extra card slots. If we wanted to shoot more than 36 frames we had to resort to things like this:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/mdwinder/images/250filmbackC.jpg

I never had a power rewind and some cameras used to advance the film back into the cassette, but you still had to crank all 6ft of the film at one stage of the change over. But I recon I could change a film in under a minute... ;)

Of course when working with Medium Format, we had the 120 & 220 cassette backs that we could pre-load or have the assistant load ready for change over.

Now I can swap a card in much less than a minute, but I've never had to.

When it comes to batteries, many will remember the brick sized HV battery Packs for the Metz gun that we had to lug around. Even they wouldn't last long on a cold day, but a plug swap only took seconds.

Battery swaps for the camera are very quick now days and with practice, even the 4 AAs in the flash guns can be swapped quickly.

I never liked doing weddings as there was so much kit to haul around, but with the coming of the small digital cameras, it would be so much less hassle now.

I think I'll stick to the studio and let the young and fit do the hard work...

*chr

David M
2nd March 2016, 03:43 PM
Of course when working with Medium Format, we had the 120 & 220 cassette backs that we could pre-load or have the assistant load ready for change over.

Unless you were using TLRs, quite popular with some pros as there was no viewfinder blackout when taking a shot.

Naughty Nigel
2nd March 2016, 05:59 PM
Given the reliability and storage capacity of modern SD cards I have never found the need for two cards. I simply pop the card into my iPad adaptor or my laptop and make a backup copy that way.

The iPad even lets me view Olympus raw files directly, but it doesn't like copying raw and Jpeg files with the same file names.

My E5 had two card slots but I couldn't write to both at the same time, and copying between cards took forever! (It also renamed the files which was a pain.)

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd March 2016, 05:27 PM
Actually not such a good time for the professionals:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/couples-ditch-wedding-photographers-for-amateurs-and-gopros-poll-claims-71655

With more people wanting pictures that are natural rather than the "standard" shots, the small cameras, working close in with fast lenses is preferred by many.