PDA

View Full Version : DXo mark interesting concept.

Kiwi Paul
15th January 2016, 03:34 PM
See the link.
It's from DXo website about perceived Mp and how camera resolution and lens performance affect each other.
I know m43 users love to hate DXo as the ratings they give m43 lenses seem too low but in reality when you read the article it makes sense.

Essentially for us m43 users, it is lens performance we are restricted by and more Mps won't give a higher resolution image but buying a better lens will.

Also it's not just m43 that doesn't look to score well, if you filter on lenses and pick a selection of Canon or Nikon crop sensor lenses m43 top lenses actually get a higher score!! It's only full frame that get the really high scores due to a larger sensor with larger photosites.

Basically the 16Mp sensors are showing the limitations of the lenses so a better lens will appear to have better detail, but say the 12-40 lens has a perceived resolution of about 10Mp so putting in on say a camera with only 8Mp (I know there is no 8Mp m43 camera) then the camera is the limitation and a better lens won't appear any sharper.

I'll put my lead under ware on now ready for the backlash :D

Perceived Mp (http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Looking-for-new-photo-gear-DxOMark-s-Perceptual-Megapixel-can-help-you)

Paul

Jim Ford
15th January 2016, 03:55 PM
Essentially for us m43 users, it is lens performance we are restricted by and more Mps won't give a higher resolution image but buying a better lens will.

What better lens - a Canon kit one?

JIm

Kiwi Paul
15th January 2016, 03:59 PM
What better lens - a Canon kit one?

JIm

I mean if you buy a better m43 lens then the camera will show the difference, I've added some info to the post.

Paul

Beagletorque
15th January 2016, 04:29 PM
A 16mp m43 sensor is equivalent pixel size to a 64mp full frame sensor and we know the fuss that came when the Nikon D800 with 36mp and said you would need better lenses!

OlyPaul
16th January 2016, 08:35 AM
Certainly not new to me that if the sensor out resolves the lens you are losing detail that the sensor is capable of and if the lens out resolves the sensor you are not losing detail you just have the potential to use it on a better sensor,by the way more MP on the same size sensor can give more detail if the lens is capable of resolving it,. It will be interesting to see how some lenses fare on the new 20mp Pen. Though 4mp extra is not much:)

Kiwi Paul
16th January 2016, 08:59 AM
I always wondered why 43 and m43 scored low in comparison to FF, that article cleared up the mystery, any crop sensor system will always score less than FF but that doesn't mean the lenses aren't as good optically, just the limitations of lens resolution on a sensor with small photosites.

Paul

Greytop
16th January 2016, 11:16 AM
It will be interesting to see how some lenses fare on the new 20mp Pen. Though 4mp extra is not much:)

If DXo's opinion of micro 4/3rds glass is to be believed we will see no advantage at all from a higher resolution sensor.
In fact looking at their perceived Mp scores we will be wasting megapixel real-estate with a 12Mp sensor or lower and our native lenses! To be honest I find this hard to believe.

Another interesting observation is that they haven't tested any of the Sigma Foveon image sensor cameras and optics which I have feeling would tie their theory in knots. Resolution verses image sharpness.