13th January 2016, 04:27 PM
http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-image-of-the-new-pen-f/

http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/oly_pen-f_f001.jpg

alfbranch
13th January 2016, 04:40 PM
Nice looking macine and it looks like it has an evf

Imageryone
13th January 2016, 05:34 PM
Only a few days to wait if this is correct ?

astonandy
13th January 2016, 06:26 PM
The speculated pricing is a little off-putting though if it's true. But then the price of the new X-Pro2 is fairly eye-watering too. Heavy discount incoming I expect for both.

Zuiko
13th January 2016, 07:45 PM
Nice looking macine and it looks like it has an evf

My thoughts exactly. :)

Naughty Nigel
13th January 2016, 08:55 PM
Shame it doesn't take film. ;)

Phill D
13th January 2016, 09:00 PM
I like the concept but maybe it's just me but I think it looks ugly. Not a patch on the previous pens. Happy to wait for the EM1 mk2.

RogerMac
13th January 2016, 09:15 PM
looks very attractive but the acid tests will be the price and whether it supports my HD tenses

dbutch
13th January 2016, 09:18 PM
I dont think the removable grip helps the way it looks, it unbalances it for me
not a pretty camera in my eyes, but will reserve full judgement until seen in flesh - but any way its what it does and how it handles over the looks that count

pdk42
13th January 2016, 09:20 PM
Fugly!! What the hell's that dial on the front!

Ross the fiddler
13th January 2016, 10:29 PM

There were similar responses when the E-M1 images were first leaked too.

I don't what that dial is but I'm sure it will be useful (when the details are known).

I notice there are those (on that 'rumor' site) complaining about how large it is, but if it was smaller then the display would have to be smaller to fit that EVF in, although it does look larger with the attached Arca Swiss grip/plate.

Wee man
13th January 2016, 10:51 PM
Pdk42. Tea/ coffee or Hot chocolate button?

pdk42
13th January 2016, 11:15 PM
I wonder if it'll have a flippy screen?

I see too that it has apparently 4 dials - so presumably one for mode, two for front & rear configurable dials (as per the OMDs) and then..... (drum roll.....) probably a dedicated exposure comp dial. Very nice. You can never have too many dials!

I'm concerned about its size though. Given that it's got the 75 mounted, that places its size as squarely in the GX8 camp - so bigger than an E-M1 and (crucially) a Sony A7. Then there the price which is pretty eye-watering. So - it had better be good!

Ross the fiddler
14th January 2016, 12:53 AM
I wonder if it'll have a flippy screen?

I see too that it has apparently 4 dials - so presumably one for mode, two for front & rear configurable dials (as per the OMDs) and then..... (drum roll.....) probably a dedicated exposure comp dial. Very nice. You can never have too many dials!

I'm concerned about its size though. Given that it's got the 75 mounted, that places its size as squarely in the GX8 camp - so bigger than an E-M1 and (crucially) a Sony A7. Then there the price which is pretty eye-watering. So - it had better be good!

Once that grip & 10mm (or close to) Arca Swiss base comes off then the camera should look much smaller. *yes Yer don't want a hump in the middle, so ya gotta have that side lump instead. :p

That front facing dial might be exposure compensation or it might be something even better. *shrug Focus zone? :confused:

Dallas
14th January 2016, 05:33 AM
I like it, but that doesn't look much like a 75/1.8 on it though. Are they already upgrading that lens?

Ross the fiddler
14th January 2016, 07:14 AM
I like it, but that doesn't look much like a 75/1.8 on it though. Are they already upgrading that lens?

It mightn't look like it in that rough photo but it almost certainly is. See posts by m43happy here (https://www.mu-43.com/threads/first-image-of-the-olympus-pen-f.82461/page-2).

Dallas
14th January 2016, 09:45 AM
Thanks Ross, will have a look.

OlyPaul
14th January 2016, 10:25 AM
I does have a viewfinder and it also is a 20MP sensor,looks like it is Oly's aswer to the 20 MP GX8 which is also larger than the GX7.

Petanque
14th January 2016, 10:25 AM
The dial on the front looks similar to the dial on the front of my Nikon P7100, it is actually very useful. I like the look of it, will be interesting to see and hold it.

Ross the fiddler
14th January 2016, 11:27 AM
The dial on the front looks similar to the dial on the front of my Nikon P7100, it is actually very useful. I like the look of it, will be interesting to see and hold it.

Here is a glimpse of that dial.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/PEN-F_glimpse_.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/88059)

Ross the fiddler
14th January 2016, 01:34 PM

You've got the answer now. *yes

pdk42
14th January 2016, 02:51 PM
Where did you get that from Ross? It spoils the lines of the camera IMHO and I hope it isn't just for selecting "Art" modes or other fluff.

Ricoh
14th January 2016, 03:15 PM
They can't spell properly!

Ross the fiddler
14th January 2016, 09:46 PM
Where did you get that from Ross? It spoils the lines of the camera IMHO and I hope it isn't just for selecting "Art" modes or other fluff.

It was on the contest page here. http://gopc.olympus-imaging.com/
They can't spell properly!

Unfortunately, it's the American idea of English. :rolleyes:

Ricoh
14th January 2016, 10:57 PM
Unfortunately, it's the American idea of English. :rolleyes:

:)

Perhaps it's a collar but they struggled to spell that too! In any event marks should be awarded, if even only for trying. :)

Ross the fiddler
15th January 2016, 12:09 PM
OK, here's a few more good pics that have been leaked.

http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/oly_penf_silver_f001.jpg

http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/oly_penf_silver_b002.jpg

http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/oly_penf_silver_b001.jpg

http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/oly_penf_silver_t001.jpg

http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/oly_pen-f_black_f002.jpg

http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/oly_pen-f_silver_f002.jpg

Zuiko
15th January 2016, 12:16 PM
It certainly looks nice, I wonder how it compares in size to the OMD series?

Ross the fiddler
15th January 2016, 12:41 PM
It certainly looks nice, I wonder how it compares in size to the OMD series?

That I can help you with too as someone has done the overlay on DPReview.

PEN-F vs E-P5 in overlayed image by FRI on Dpreview forum:

http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Bildschirmfoto-2016-01-15-um-07.54.14-700x324.png

Also, it looks like the screen might be a 16:9 ratio (to fit the EVF in) & not the 3:2 on the OM-D's.

Note! The dark image is the E-P5 (which is a little smaller than the PEN-F).

benvendetta
15th January 2016, 12:52 PM
I like the retro/slightly industrial look of it. Better than any of the previous PENs in my opinion. But will it replace my EM1 or stop me maybe getting its successor? Unlikely, although it does look lovely. It would be a nice replacement for my EPL5 (my EM1 backup).............but not at the price that has been leaked!

Zuiko
15th January 2016, 01:15 PM
That I can help you with too as someone has done the overlay on DPReview.

PEN-F vs E-P5 in overlayed image by FRI on Dpreview forum:

http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Bildschirmfoto-2016-01-15-um-07.54.14-700x324.png

Also, it looks like the screen might be a 16:9 ratio (to fit the EVF in) & not the 3:2 on the OM-D's.

Thanks Ross, it appears to be marginally smaller than the E-P5, which is a nice surprise. *chr

Ross the fiddler
15th January 2016, 01:53 PM
Thanks Ross, it appears to be marginally smaller than the E-P5, which is a nice surprise. *chr

No, the other way round. The dark image is the E-P5 & the white the PEN-F.

alfbranch
22nd January 2016, 10:36 AM
Anyone going to the launch on 27th Jan in London.

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd January 2016, 10:50 AM
Yes, and hopefully there'll be several of us there.

Ross the fiddler
22nd January 2016, 11:51 AM
A bit more info about the PEN-F came from O about the "curves" (shadow/highlight) 3 way switch (under the Mode dial) which also does mid-tone adjustment.
Highlight & Shadow, mid tone adjustment can be used together with B&W film emulation. There is also different level of grain, vignette effect for selection. It's rather dynamic.
Found here with more real life photos. http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-real-worl-images-of-the-new-pen-f/#disqus_thread

My feeling is that Olympus is pushing harder for 'in camera creativity' with this model. Consider what was done with film using creative filters on the lens & that was done a lot at the time of exposure & I think Olympus may be trying to recapture that approach with the digital cameras too instead of 'spray & pray' using raw files followed by many hours in PP.
*chr

Ricoh
22nd January 2016, 12:25 PM
Good they've marked the film rewind knob, otherwise many would be frantically trying to rewind the non existant film! :)

Why do camera manufacturers use precious top-plate real-estate with that silly PASM knob, better use would be a dedicated ISO knob - IMO.

Ralph Harwood
22nd January 2016, 06:58 PM
Good they've marked the film rewind knob, otherwise many would be frantically trying to rewind the non existant film! :)

Why do camera manufacturers use precious top-plate real-estate with that silly PASM knob, better use would be a dedicated ISO knob - IMO.

I agree - mine only ever is switched between A and M - with very occasional excursions to art filter to use dramatic tone. I very rarely need to change it in a hurry though, whereas I'm often having to up the iso to get a sensible shutter speed when the light changes just before I take a shot. A "PASM" button on the super control panel menu would be far more convienent if it freed up a wheel for ISO (I know that my E-M1 can have ISO on a thumbwheel if I remember to flick the lever though - I haven't got that on any of my other cameras though so always forget!)

Cheers,

Ralph.

Ross the fiddler
22nd January 2016, 11:30 PM
The specs list has now been leaked.

The specifications of the upcoming Olympus PEN-F camera leaked online:

New 20MP Live MOS sensor
50MP high resolution mode
5-axis camera shake correction. Correction effect five stages (CIPA)
Creative dial: direct access to four functions
EVF is 2.36 million dot organic EL (S-OVF mode to extend the dynamic range)
Mechanical shutter: 60 - 1/8000 seconds
The electronic front curtain shutter (anti-shock mode): 60 - 1/320 seconds
Electronic shutter (silent mode): 60 - 1/16000 seconds
Video full HD60p
Interval Shooting
4K time-lapse movie
Continuous shooting: 10 fps (5 fps with AF tracking)
Wi-Fi built-in
Remote control via smartphone
3 inches 1.03 million dots swivel LCD monitor
AF tracking pad: EVF is capable of moving the AF point in the touch panel when in use
Media: SDHC / SDXC (UHS-II compatible)
External flash FL-LM3 included (?): guide number 9.1, bounce possible
ISO range: 200-25,600 (LOW: ISO 80)
Available in black and silver
Price is 999 for the body only, 1,099 for the 14-42mm EZ lens kit and 1,199 for the 17mm f/1.8 lens kit
The official announcement is on January 27th.

Via Digicame-info

Edited for updated list with UK price.

alfbranch
22nd January 2016, 11:37 PM

I agree - mine only ever is switched between A and M - with very occasional excursions to art filter to use dramatic tone. I very rarely need to change it in a hurry though, whereas I'm often having to up the iso to get a sensible shutter speed when the light changes just before I take a shot. A "PASM" button on the super control panel menu would be far more convienent if it freed up a wheel for ISO (I know that my E-M1 can have ISO on a thumbwheel if I remember to flick the lever though - I haven't got that on any of my other cameras though so always forget!)

Cheers,

Ralph.

I agree I do not need a PASM mode dial either

griffljg
22nd January 2016, 11:40 PM
Has there been any mention about the focusing system used?

From my point of view, it might be worth considering if it has a dual focusing system like the E-M1, so that the autofocus on my old 4/3 lenses works well.

Ross the fiddler
23rd January 2016, 03:46 AM
Has there been any mention about the focusing system used?

From my point of view, it might be worth considering if it has a dual focusing system like the E-M1, so that the autofocus on my old 4/3 lenses works well.

I'm not sure if it has been confirmed but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have PD-AF (but I could be wrong), however, the new f1.2 lens(es) will focus 30% faster on the PEN-F than the E-M1 & E-M5 Mk II though (according to Simon).

griffljg
23rd January 2016, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure if it has been confirmed but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have PD-AF (but I could be wrong), however, the new f1.2 lens(es) will focus 30% faster on the PEN-F than the E-M1 & E-M5 Mk II though (according to Simon).

Oh dear! I suppose I'll have to wait for the E-M1 II to see whether Olympus will maintain support for my old 4/3 lenses.

cliff
24th January 2016, 05:11 PM
Do we know what battery it takes?

Cliff

benvendetta
24th January 2016, 05:55 PM
I never really expected the Pen F to support 43rds glass. I am sure that the EM1 mk 2 will though.

Ross the fiddler
24th January 2016, 11:16 PM
Do we know what battery it takes?

Cliff

I've seen it said to use the BLM-1 battery, the same as E-P5, E-M1 & E-M5 etc.

*chr

alfbranch
24th January 2016, 11:48 PM
Not sure of the need for a compensation dial with dual controls or is it a control dial around the shutter release buuton and it looks like it takes a mechanical cable release

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-full-pen-f-spec-list-leaked/

http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/c8aa7tA.jpg

Zuiko
24th January 2016, 11:56 PM
Is that a threaded cable release socket in the shutter button?

Ross the fiddler
25th January 2016, 02:50 AM
Is that a threaded cable release socket in the shutter button?

Yes. They are adding a bit more retro to this model. *yes

*chr

Zuiko
25th January 2016, 11:58 AM
Yes. They are adding a bit more retro to this model. *yes

*chr

I could be tempted by that feature alone....... IF I had the money!

pdk42
25th January 2016, 01:47 PM
I could be tempted by that feature alone....... IF I had the money!

John - why is this important to you? Seems to me that an electronic release is a much better solution (less risk of inducing shake, able to do time-lapse, easier to do short-press, option for wireless, ...).

Zuiko
25th January 2016, 01:57 PM
John - why is this important to you? Seems to me that an electronic release is a much better solution (less risk of inducing shake, able to do time-lapse, easier to do short-press, option for wireless, ...).

I guess I'm just a nostalgic old fool! :D

Ricoh
25th January 2016, 02:38 PM
My 'other' digital camera has a threaded cable release interface - it's brilliant. Time lapse is easy, just tension the screw clamping the inner cable.

Simon Bee
25th January 2016, 03:09 PM
I guess I'm just a nostalgic old fool! :D

I'm with you on that one John :D

Kind regards, Simon

Ricoh
25th January 2016, 03:28 PM
Another way of looking at it, would you prefer a digital or an analogue clockwork watch!

Gwyver
25th January 2016, 04:19 PM
Not sure of the need for a compensation dial with dual controls ...

If the compensation dial works in conjunction with Auto-ISO in Manual mode this could be really useful for things such as BIF or other subjects which move rapidly against a background of varying brightness.

Ross the fiddler
26th January 2016, 05:43 AM
Here is the first commercial that was released too early. ;)

EDIT: TOO LATE! They've pulled it (but not before I saved it. ;) )

Olympus PEN F - YouTube

pandora
26th January 2016, 06:07 AM
Among the ugliest and most uninspiring cameras I've seen.

Given my experience with three previous Pens (all tacky devices), for 1600 Euros (2341AUD) give me an XZ-2 and a return ticket to London for a week!

Ross the fiddler
26th January 2016, 06:47 AM
Among the ugliest and most uninspiring cameras I've seen.

Given my experience with three previous Pens (all tacky devices), for 1600 Euros (2341AUD) give me an XZ-2 and a return ticket to London for a week!

But it isn't just a PEN as you need to know all the specs (which includes an EVF this time) & features of this camera. It has been designed with a more "creative" photography (jpeg) output than any previous Olympus camera as well as introducing the new 20MP sensor.

Also, in the video he is holding the focus ring when the shutter fires. I wonder if that is a feature or not (shutter firing when in focus being adjusted manually) or whether this was just bad timing in the sound overdub. There is also a spelling typo, "World's fastes Quick Response". Something tells me this was not meant to go public (besides it being released a day too early) with a correctly edited version to come.

OM USer
26th January 2016, 01:34 PM
Apparently I need to sign in to see the video. I'll have to wait for the re-release.

Ross the fiddler
26th January 2016, 01:38 PM
Apparently I need to sign in to see the video. I'll have to wait for the re-release.

Yes, they pulled it being a day too early (but I managed to save it for myself before they did). ;)

bredman
26th January 2016, 08:24 PM
Some interesting sounding stuff like Monochrome Profile Control. Wonder what 'Just Zero' is. And a Mood Generator!!

http://www.43rumors.com/screenshots-from-the-pen-f-video-claims-to-have-worlds-fastest-quick-response/

Zuiko
26th January 2016, 08:49 PM
And a Mood Generator!!

I think that's commonly known as Oestrogen! :D

pandora
27th January 2016, 01:40 AM
"World's fastes Quick Response". Something tells me this was not meant to go public (besides it being released a day too early) with a correctly edited version to come.

We've heard that extravagant phrase before with regard SWD lenses coupled to an E-3 - at the time claimed to be "The fastest focusing lens on Earth", what codswallop! The 50-200mm spent so much time 'hunting' for BIF that all you were left was an empty blue sky. There's a way around it of course, but the issue was the false claim that came odiously close to fraud.

+
Pre-dating the E-3 was Canon's S5 compact that cost a few hundred bucks and it never missed a BIF