PDA

View Full Version : Samyang 12mm f/2

Greytop
12th January 2016, 10:20 PM
Just wondering if anyone has the manual focus Samyang 12 f/2?
Any opinions about the lens size (without the large hood), image quality / sharpness.
Thanks.

pdk42
12th January 2016, 11:22 PM
From reviews I've seen it's slightly inferior to the Olympus 12 f2 - but bigger and heavier; and of course, it lacks AF or EXIF data. Personally, I'd pay a bit more and go for the Olympus (in fact, I did!).

Greytop
12th January 2016, 11:45 PM
Thanks Paul, yes I've been studying the reviews and came to a similar conclusion regarding the image quality.
However I have seen the odd report of a decentred Oly 12 mm prime.
I actually used to own a sliver one in the earlier days of my original E-M5 ownership, it was a very nice lens but I could never quite warm to it for some reason.
I guess I wasn't quite bowled over by the image quality in comparison to the zooms (12-35 f/2.8 at the time). Maybe I had a slightly average copy... it certainly wasn't bad though.

pdk42
12th January 2016, 11:57 PM
Well, I'm in the embarrassing position of being able to do 12mm with four lenses:

- Panasonic 7-14
- Panasonic 12-32
- Panasonic 12-35
- Olympus 12mm

The Oly is the sharpest of them all at comparable apertures. Wide open the Olympus is probably better but they all give it a serious run for its money.

Greytop
13th January 2016, 12:04 AM
Well you certainly have the wide end covered Paul :D
I'll have to contemplate this dilemma a little longer I think.
I was always impressed by the compactness of the 12mm f/2 umm....

pdk42
13th January 2016, 07:36 AM
Yes, in terms of pleasure to use, it's hard to fault the 12.

drmarkf
13th January 2016, 08:44 AM
I only really use focal lengths that wide for landscape or 'architecture' and I have found I much prefer zooms for this, mainly to maximise use of the 4/3 sensor to maintain IQ.

I sold the Oly 12 because I wasn't using it, and traded the Panny 7-14 for the Olympus f2.8 version, which is probably now my most-used landscape lens. Obviously it doesn't do f2 (but I never used it wide open) and the 12 prime is noticeably sharper than the Oly zoom in the corners at f2.8, but from f4 I haven't subjectively noticed any difference.

The weather sealing of the 7-14 is also a comfort when you're up to your calves in muddy water during a drizzly sunrise...