PDA

View Full Version : Looking back 20 -30 years ago

Kiwi Paul
7th January 2016, 11:20 PM
I just browsed through several photo albums I made from when I first arrived in the UK in 1988, it was film in those days and I used to get them developed and printed at the local chemist or photo shop so no post processing back then. I seem to remember using a Canon T50 then I lashed out and bought the T90 and had all Canon zoom lenses and the f1.4 50mm.

I'm very impressed even if I say so myself at the photos I took back then, I had no idea I was as creative and adventurous, I'm quite shy about taking street photography these days but in the albums there are street photos of people going about their business, there's abstract stuff, well thought out landscape compositions etc. Back then it was just a single shot per subject too (36 shots in a roll of film) and no instant feedback on a screen so you didn't know what you had done until they were printed a few days later, no IS, no auto focus either.

It's easy to forget what we used to do and always think what we do now is better then the past, for sure we learn and improve but looking at those long ago photos we also change and sometimes get more conservative and self concious about what we shoot.

I really enjoyed browsing through the albums, I'm also impressed I actually spent so much time and effort sorting through the prints and creating the albums.

That has inspired me to start creating them again with my recent stuff printed by me with my printer, hopefully in 20 years time I'll browse them and be just as impressed.

Paul

Naughty Nigel
8th January 2016, 02:59 PM
I often feel the same when looking at old prints and Kodachromes.

Equipment was much simpler then, and dare I say, viewfinders were much, much bigger, better, brighter and clearer than they are now, so it was easier to concentrate on composition without the distraction of a dozen flashing icons and histograms in the viewfinder.

Added to which the metering on some of the older cameras (such as the OM4Ti) has never been bettered in my view.

I also feel that I was more likely to follow my own photographic instincts then, without the dubious 'benefit' of the many photographic rules that we all read about on the internet.

Photography has certainly been made easier and more accessible, but has it really been made any better? And is this why I get so much enjoyment from using my medium format Mamiyas when I could be using a perfectly good phone camera or my OM-D-EM5?

Imageryone
8th January 2016, 05:16 PM
I too have albums ( and all negatives ) going back to the early '60's, not only the artistic merits surprise, but forgotten memories rise to the surface as you browse :)