PDA

View Full Version : Quidco - User Feedback

Ricoh
1st January 2016, 12:35 PM
My wife keeps at me saying I/we should join Quidco, based on her discussions with a 'know it all neighbour'.

As I understand it, to get cash back you have to link your credit or debit card to your Quidco account and shop at one of their linked retailers, either on line or on the high street.

Before signing up, I'd thought I'd ask this knowledgeable forum of members how safe is it, and if there are any drawbacks I should be aware of.

Naughty Nigel
1st January 2016, 01:32 PM
I have no knowledge of Quidco, but I would be deeply suspicious of any organisation that requires and uses your credit card account in this way.

In my experience it takes milliseconds to debit your account, and months to get your money back!

But there again, I could be completely wrong. :)

Ricoh
1st January 2016, 01:52 PM
Oh that sounds a bad experience, Nigel. I had someone attempt to purchase a three piece suite using my credit card, but the card issuer blocked it.

Naughty Nigel
1st January 2016, 02:10 PM
Oh that sounds a bad experience, Nigel. I had someone attempt to purchase a three piece suite using my credit card, but the card issuer blocked it.

In my case I bought some software online from one of the big box shifters, my card account was debited but the order didn't arrive. I phoned them to enquire about the missing delivery and was asked for my details again.

I received my order the next day but they somehow duplicated the order and sent it out again!

Whilst the sales desks were well enough staffed I found it nigh on impossible to speak to anyone in customer services about the duplicated order. Whilst my card account had been debited automatically I was told that they could only run credits at the month end, and that they had to inspect the returned goods before any credit could be made.

Having returned the unwanted software I was then informed that it was company policy that software returns were not allowed unless the product was faulty.

As my wife worked for a firm of solicitors at the time they received a solicitor's letter with the threat of legal action. As if by magic company policy was overlooked on this occasion and a credit was made straightway!

sdb123
1st January 2016, 02:20 PM
As I understand it, to get cash back you have to link your credit or debit card to your Quidco account and shop at one of their linked retailers, either on line or on the high street.

I have no knowledge of Quidco, but I would be deeply suspicious of any organisation that requires and uses your credit card account in this way.

That's not how it works at all. You don't have to give any debit/credit card details to use them but you can utilise additional benefits if you do (I'll explain further down).

If you do any internet shopping, cashback sites such as Quidco and TopCashBack are not to be sniffed at. I've been using Quidco for just over three years and have so far claimed a smidgen under 600 cashback. Quidco operate a model whereby they are free to register with however they will be paid the first 5 of cashback you accumulate (per calendar year). You do not have to register a card with Quidco for online shopping.

If, for example, I want to purchase an item from GAP, I would go to Quidco, then search for GAP and look at what cashback and/or offers are available (currently free delivery over 50 and 10% cashback); the link in the offer takes you to that retailers website where you complete the transaction as normal. By going via Quidco, a cookie tracks your visit to them and the retailer and is a digital record of your visit should any queries need to be raised. The cashback payment varies between retailers but a lot of the Faster Paying companies are within 6-8 weeks (some sooner).

I purchased a new camera for my daughter from Wex Photographic (via Quidco) and got 35 cashback - paid into my account within 6 weeks. Not bad IMO. You can also get cashback from Wex for used items too.

You can register a card with Quidco and this will then track in-store transactions (and can offer additional incentives over online shopping) - places that have offers/cashback include John Lewis, Debenhams, Blacks/The Outdoor Shop, Halfords (including Autocentres), Boots, Furniture Village....the list goes on.

I've never experienced any issues or fraud as a result of Quidco; the only time I've had to interact with them is when cashback hasn't tracked correctly or is not showing in the list of transactions. Their Customer Service team is very helpful for what it's worth.

Ricoh
1st January 2016, 02:54 PM
Thanks sdb123.
To make sure I understand this, you mention money being paid into your account, is that your bank account? I might tread carefully providing my credit card details, but my bank account would be another matter entirely.
On the other hand, given the retailer has access to your credit card details provided at the time of purchase, I wonder if the vendor pays the discount back to your credit card without the need for additional info?

sdb123
1st January 2016, 03:00 PM
Thanks sdb123.
To make sure I understand this, you mention money being paid into your account, is that your bank account? I might tread carefully providing my credit card details, but my bank account would be another matter entirely.

Your account as in your Quidco user account. How you withdraw the money is up to you...you have three options, which are:

Bank Account (sort code & account number, payment paid by BACS within 5 days (typically 2-3))
PayPal (you can link your Quidco and PayPal account together if you wish to do so)
Amazon vouchers (redemption code sent to your registered e-mail address)

On the other hand, given the retailer has access to your credit card details provided at the time of purchase, I wonder if the vendor pays the discount back to your credit card without the need for additional info?

All cashback claims are handled between the retailer and Quidco; cashback is then paid into your Quidco account.

Ricoh
1st January 2016, 03:02 PM
Thank you for the additional explanation, very good of you. :)

sdb123
1st January 2016, 03:06 PM
No worries Steve...it can appear daunting and people will often have an "it's too good to be true" viewpoint (as I did!) however it really is practically money for nothing.

With regards to payment details, it's no more information than would be on a cheque or information you'd provide to a potential stranger to complete an online sale (like in the forum classifieds). :)

All the best,

Steve *chr

Ricoh
1st January 2016, 03:14 PM
No worries Steve...it can appear daunting and people will often have an "it's too good to be true" viewpoint (as I did!) however it really is practically money for nothing.

With regards to payment details, it's no more information than would be on a cheque or information you'd provide to a potential stranger to complete an online sale (like in the forum classifieds). :)

All the best,

Steve *chr
That's very true. I've bought and sold on here using my bank account. Similarly with a cheque of course. I discussed the risk involved with my bank, and was informed that money could be paid into the account but not withdrawn, any thief would need your passwords etc.
I'm more confident to give this a trial based on what I've learnt this afternoon, and applying the knowledge provided by my bank.
Thank you kindly. :)

sdb123
1st January 2016, 03:17 PM
Glad I could help....:)

MargaretR
1st January 2016, 03:58 PM
Just to endorse the above, I use Quidco and take payment out via my PayPal account, and from there to bank account. I too was hesitant at first, looking for 'the catch', but it's proved worth it, especially if buying 'big' items from Wex, or if booking hotel stays ... you can get a nice little chunk back for no effort. It's *remembering* to go via Quidco to other sites that can be difficult - I have a little reminder stuck to the computer now!

Steambuff
1st January 2016, 05:18 PM
One point to remember if you are booking hotels or flights.
If you are a member of the hotels or airlines loyality scheme, you are unlikley to get any loyality/reward/avios points if you book through Quidco or Topcashback or similar.
(Just as IHG/ Holiday Inn do not give reward points if booked through companies like Booking.com/Travigo etc)

Dave