PDA

View Full Version : Christmas leftovers

Barr1e
30th December 2015, 07:55 PM
http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/500/Leftovers_ft-u.jpg (http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/30163)
non Olympus pic

Regards. Barr1e

Ian
30th December 2015, 08:19 PM
Slight magenta cast there, Barr1e :)

And you left some sprouts! (I am the only one in our family who like them...)

Ian

Barr1e
30th December 2015, 08:43 PM

Ian

Sprouts are one of my favourite vegetables, I think this may have been one of the family members who joined us for lunch.

I was going to adjust the colour of the plate and realised it was a shadow of Father Christmas standing next to me and I don't normally tell fibs. :p :eek:

Regards. Barr1e

Barr1e
30th December 2015, 08:51 PM
Hi Ian -

Gone in a click. :B)

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/500/Leftovers_ft-u1.jpg (http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/30164)

Regards. Barr1e

drmarkf
30th December 2015, 09:27 PM
Much better, and it allows the find red of the cranberry sauce to stand out as well :D

Olybirder
30th December 2015, 10:39 PM
I feel compelled to defend the humble sprout. It is one my favourite vegetables but they are seasonal and definitely seem to benefit from a bit of cold weather. I wonder if the BBC's cartoon sprout has done anything for the popularity of this much maligned vegetable?

Ron

DerekW
30th December 2015, 11:12 PM
What is the real colour of the plate - it does not appear to be white on my calibrated screen

Graham_of_Rainham
30th December 2015, 11:29 PM
Is that one of those placemats you stare at crossed eyed and Santa & the Raindeer pop out in 3D :D

OM USer
30th December 2015, 11:41 PM
Actually the young small sprouts this year were exceptionally tasty.. and I think it is because they have not seen a frost.

Ross the fiddler
31st December 2015, 03:09 AM

Ian

That magenta colour is how one sees life after too much red wine! :p

I think I'd take a pass on the sprouts as well. :rolleyes: Especially with the after effects from eating them. ;)

*chr

peak4
31st December 2015, 10:50 AM
I feel compelled to defend the humble sprout. It is one my favourite vegetables but they are seasonal and definitely seem to benefit from a bit of cold weather. I wonder if the BBC's cartoon sprout has done anything for the popularity of this much maligned vegetable?

Ron

For me, cut in half, fried with shallots in a bit of mild tasting olive oil, and pomegranate seeds added towards the end of cooking. Maybe chuck in a few chopped hazelnuts and some citrus zest.
Stimulates both the eyes and the taste buds. *chr

drmarkf
31st December 2015, 11:22 AM
For me, cut in half, fried with shallots in a bit of mild tasting olive oil, and pomegranate seeds added towards the end of cooking. Maybe chuck in a few chopped hazelnuts and some citrus zest.
Stimulates both the eyes and the taste buds. *chr

Wow: must try that.

I do like them parboiled then chopped and fried lightly in butter with a few bacon lardons and breadcrumbs.

Bikie John
31st December 2015, 12:36 PM
I made some sprout wine once. Disgusting doesn't begin to describe it. There is still some left - just be grateful that I can't work out how to upload it to the gallery.

John

Ross the fiddler
31st December 2015, 01:35 PM
I made some sprout wine once. Disgusting doesn't begin to describe it. There is still some left - just be grateful that I can't work out how to upload it to the gallery.

John

You made it once? Maybe it has improved with age. :rolleyes:

drmarkf
31st December 2015, 02:39 PM
You made it once? Maybe it has improved with age. :rolleyes:

Careful - it'll probably blow the cork out of the bottle...

peak4
31st December 2015, 04:12 PM
Wow: must try that.

I do like them parboiled then chopped and fried lightly in butter with a few bacon lardons and breadcrumbs.

So do I, but unfortunately Jane doesn't eat meat, and they just wouldn't be the same with herrings added. :D

p.s. Sorry for diverting your thread Barr1e

Imageryone
31st December 2015, 05:56 PM
Never a sprout goes to waste in this house, any left are mashed with potato and fried in Butter and Olive oil, bad for cholestorol but ooh the taste :D

BobS
31st December 2015, 06:38 PM
I love sprouts, but they are not as good as they used to be many decades ago with their tangy, unique flavour. However, should not the sharp side of the knife be facing the fork;)

Melaka
1st January 2016, 08:52 AM
Actually the young small sprouts this year were exceptionally tasty.. and I think it is because they have not seen a frost.

Most vegetables (parsnips, leeks, sprouts etc) taste better after a frost. It's supposed to bring out the sugars in them.

Imageryone
1st January 2016, 09:30 AM
Must admit I only buy sprouts on the stalk and after frost, the machines they use to harvest seem to damage the stronger outer leaves.

Barr1e
1st January 2016, 11:45 AM
I enjoyed all the contributions, thanks so much.

When I was young 100's of years ago I couldn't leave the table until I had eaten my brussels. I must admit they became my second favourite vegetable.

Happy New Year

Regards. Barr1e